Rear axle flip = noise from rear

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Jono1
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Rear axle flip = noise from rear

Post by Jono1 »

Ok I know this is a long shot and I’m not expecting any definite solution but maybe someone with experience might notice something obvious what I’m missing...

I’ve had my van for just under 6 months. The previous owner i think has done the rear axle flip? (Picture to follow). I’ve had the bulkhead fully out for maybe 2 months now as I’ve put rear seats in. Since taking the bulkhead out there is a horrible noise from the rear passenger side. Like a loud humming noise which starts to get noticeable at about 30mph and gets louder as the speed increases. I’ve sound deadened the arches and floor so I don’t think it could just be road noise. I’m 99% sure it’s not a wheel bearing.

Is there anything anyone can see from the pictures that may have been done wrong? Anything that could be checked? It’s starting to drive me insane.

Oh and do you think someone has had a problem with the spare wheel carrier in the past ? Image

Any help is appreciated I know it’s going to be a difficult one over pictures it’s more just advice on things to check. Also how simple is it to drop the rear a bit more to get the van sitting flatter ? Is it just a case of disconnecting bolt to the rear and dropping it down a link?

Thanks again Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baldspeed Racing
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Re: Rear axle flip = noise from rear

Post by Baldspeed Racing »

looks ok to me and yeh pop the bolt out and move it up a hole or two either side.

that tyre looks a bit suspect as well.......... ;)
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Humming that increases with speed really is a good indicator of a wheel bearing, its got to be worth checking properly. Check all the weights are still on your wheel as well although that would lead to vibration as well.
Make sure the axle is still straight.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
AlwynMike
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by AlwynMike »

A wheel bearing can often produce more or less noise as its loaded or unloaded.
Going round a small island at speed will put the load on the passenger side which may produce more noise.
If you can find a suitable ledt hand corner, do the same, so the passenger side is unloaded. This usually quietens down.

Also check your tyres. Is the passenger side different to the other side?
Some tyres can be quite noisy...I have All Season tyres on and they are awful at speed, and they sound like a wheel bearing has gone.
Philby258
Caddy Fan

Post by Philby258 »

Might not be relevant but I noticed your bump stops are not cut down, needs the lower segment cut off with a flipped axle.
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

I’d thought that when I looked under but don’t think I’m low enough ? May be going lower today if I get time so will be cutting down when I do that .
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

So had the van up today, there does seem to be a bit of movement on the drivers side rear , although I swear the noise is coming from passenger side 😂. So I’m just going to change both bearings anyway.. but I have what is probably another stupid question… looking on AUTODOC there is loads of different brands, what am I best going for ? Do I need integrated magnetic sensor ring ? Integrated abs sensor? Some have it in the description some don’t.

Thanks 👍
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Order it by your number plate or vin number.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

I’ve put number plate into auto doc and it comes up with about 20 options. 😂
mijkie
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Post by mijkie »

A good bearing brand is SKF
HighlandBroomBroom
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by HighlandBroomBroom »

This might sound daft but is the tyres the same as before? Any unusual wearing on them.
I had recently got myself a set of wheels cheap with tyres with some meat left on them stuck them on only to have a terribly loud rumbel from the wheels. They had what I can only describe as steps on the inner edge of the tyres.
Still don't know how it happens or why but I drove them until they didn't drive no more 🙃
fiolek67
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by fiolek67 »

Jono1 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:34 pm ...So I’m just going to change both bearings anyway...
Hi jono.
Soo does changing the bearings clear the sound away?
Last edited by Giddy on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited the quote