Front wheel wobble/vibration UPDATE/SORTED

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
the67al
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Front wheel wobble/vibration UPDATE/SORTED

Post by the67al »

Hi all, hope someone can help with a wheel vibation issue, had my 2.0 tdi lowered a few months back and all was well, I had 17" alloys on when lowered, now running brand new 18" alloys with new tyres and fitted bolt on hubcentric 20mm spacers to get the offset i wanted, however it has developed what feels like a wheel balance issue, So i removed the spacer which did not make much difference, so today i had the front wheels balance again, and yep no difference, So i then thought it may be a tyre problem so swapped front wheels to the rear and again no difference, so now thinking it could be bush related maybe? brakes all look in good condition. Fed up with jacking this thing up so if anyone can help i would be grateful, thanks.
Last edited by the67al on Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: wheel wobble/vibration

Post by Giddy »

Is it coming from the front or rear? Also any particular speed related, or vibrating at all speeds let say above 30mph?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

I’d think about going back to the start...

If you’ve still got the 17”s I’d put them back on as before, go for a drive, no vibration then unlikely to be hubs, etc.

Then swap out the wheels, an axle at a time, see when it comes back to narrow it down a bit.

I’m assuming the centre bore on your new wheels is the same diameter as your old ones/the wheel hubs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Make sure you have correct wheel bolts for alloys as well.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
the67al
100BHP+

Post by the67al »

it is coming from the front through steering wheel from 70, wheel bolts are correct, they are tapered to match rims, centre bore rings are same at 57.1, will give the 17's a go but i do not think that will make a difference, also felt a little floaty on the front end on the odd occasion.
the67al
100BHP+

Post by the67al »

Ok, so today i put the 17's back on and there is no wobble, so now thinking it is a tyre issue?
Giddy
Hyper Poster

Re: Front wheel wobble/vibration

Post by Giddy »

Could be. Maybe try to give them to a different garage to balance, some of them do a so called precise balancing.
Or maybe issue with tyres themselves. Some of budget tyres could be very difficult to get right.
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Front wheel wobble/vibration

Post by C Chis »

Progress!

I’d think about fitting the bigger wheels on the front and taking it for a spin, no wobble could point to an issue on the back with your spacers or bolt/spacer combination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
the67al
100BHP+

Re: Front wheel wobble/vibration

Post by the67al »

Progress yes i think so, 18's back on with hubcentric spacer up front, front wheels on the back and nothing coming through steering the steering wheel BUT i can feel something kind of through footwell and seat, will try 17's on the rear only if nice and smooth has to be tyres i think, hope!
the67al
100BHP+

Re: Front wheel wobble/vibration UPDATE/SORTED

Post by the67al »

Well lesson learned here, after chasing my tale for weeks problem is sorted, wish i had taken the advice from Giddy , turns out it was the balancing even after getting the garage that fitted the tyres to re-balance, very strange one as i ended up taking the van to a national tyres near me and the balancing on all 4 was out, one was over 60g out, the guys there were great, van now smooth as and a pleasure to drive aqain.
Giddy
Hyper Poster

Re: Front wheel wobble/vibration UPDATE/SORTED

Post by Giddy »

Glad you have it sorted :)