How much should I pay?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Bazookachicken
Caddy2k Groupie

How much should I pay?

Post by Bazookachicken »

I’m looking for a Caddy at the moment and one that has caught my eye is an Edition 30 with a few mods such as golf R seats.
It’s got a good history and about 108k on the clock.
It’s advertised at £10950 which is probably pushing things a bit for the age and mileage?
That said I know the van market is crazy at the moment.
Condition and the way it’s been looked after are more important to me than the mileage figure and this has been well looked after.
I’m wondering if closer to £10k is more realistic or am I dreaming in the current market?
I’m happy to pay a fair price but I don’t want to pay through the nose and I also don’t want to turn up and come across as some low balling tyre kicker.
It’s going to be my daily driver with light work duties but will also need to clean up well as my only transport.
I’m dead set on a 2.0 and it must have A/C.
I figure that buying a more basic van to start and then doing seats, steering wheel etc myself and I’m still heading towards the asking price of the Edition 30 although I might find something slightly newer or with lower mileage.
About £11k is the max I want to spend as that will leave me some money in my pot for things like roof bars etc.
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: How much should I pay?

Post by Papa Bear »

Is it a private sale or garage?
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
Bazookachicken
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Bazookachicken »

It’s a private sale
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

I can’t imagine anyone would give a definite price of what you should and shouldn’t pay. I’d say it’s more a case of finding the best example that’s within your budget and that you personally are happy with.

Van prices have rocketed over the last few months and you saying it’s got some mods i would say makes it hard to put a price on a van.

My opinion, find what your happy with that’s within your budget and have fun making it your own 👍

Good luck caddy hunting
Bazookachicken
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Bazookachicken »

I appreciate it’s the “how long is a piece of string?” question.
And I think the fact that nobody has jumped in to say “that’s an insane amount of money” probably gives me my answer.
I’m not buying it as an investment, the plan will be to run it until it will run no more….
And then probably drop a TFSI in it 8)
I suppose what I really want to make sure is that at nearly £11k for a 2013 van with over 100k on the clock I’m not having my pants taken down?!
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

I wouldn’t say your having your pants down. Yeah the milage may be a bit high, but it’s not far off average.

Have you checked service history? Mot history? Any receipts? Belts changed? Etc.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

I personally think that selling or buying modified vehicles can be tough. It’s probably best to sell a modified vehicle to a fellow enthusiast as they’ll appreciate why it may be a bit more expensive over a standard van.

As for buying, the way I would see it is what’s the van worth standard? and add a bit more on fir the mods, basically the reverse of what I said in the first paragraph!

Obviously, service history, finance checks, general proof of maintenance and overall condition will influence what you think it’s worth. If you’re happy with the van, and the price, pull the trigger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

Get the old mike brewer charm out and get it for 10k 8) I do think that's expensive in my eyes but having a quick look on autotrader says otherwise :shock:
63 plate 1.6tdi startline in reflex silver
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
RCD330-lowered on kw stx coilovers
More to follow 8)
Bazookachicken
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Bazookachicken »

Thanks for the advice guys,
I’m off to see the van tomorrow all being well, I’ve been sent pictures of the history, bills etc.
It’s pretty much all main dealer services, cam belt, water pump etc have been done.
If it’s as good as it looks in the pics and on paper it will be the best I’ve seen but I think I’d be more comfortable closer to £10k.
The guy’s said he’s open to discussing the price within reason so hopefully we can strike a deal!
Benny88
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Benny88 »

I’m kinda in the same boat with price for my van atm mate..I have a general idea what I THINK it’s worth but people these want everything for nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed offer to sell the van
Bazookachicken
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Bazookachicken »

Cheers I’ll let you know how it goes?
I’m more than happy to pay a fair market value for any van, I appreciate the current market has gone a bit mad and that’s just my bad luck for needing to buy right now.
Last edited by Giddy on Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

Lads, for sale stuff was removed from the chat. If you want to sell something on the forum, it should be posted in "for sale" section of the forum.
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Bazookachicken
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Bazookachicken »

Apologies I’ll put a post in the wanted section with what I’m looking for, thanks