Help please I can’t open my bonnet!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Ru5tyMac
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Help please I can’t open my bonnet!

Post by Ru5tyMac »

I’ve got a 2014 caddy maxi, the bonnet release has been stiff for a while but now it’s so stiff the handle just pops of and I can’t get the bonnet open, any ideas??

Cheers

Russ
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Re: Help please I can’t open my bonnet!

Post by the swan fiend »

There’s a little housing in the grille that splits open, it’s happened to a few people now. I think it’s usually a wheel off, arch liner off and in that way to get it open again.
If it’s that, and you replace it, put a few cable ties around your new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

It sounds like you've still got a working wire but its stiff and the handle has popped off.
Pull the wire inside with a pair of pliers and fix the issue by cleaning and greasing the latch mech, you'll then need to replace the handle with a new one so it doesn't pop off.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Ru5tyMac
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ru5tyMac »

Mate that’s a great idea il have a go tonight thanks!
Mikelewis
100BHP+

Post by Mikelewis »

@the swan fiend"
I tried doing this today with my 2013 Caddy - couldn't see where I could get the bonnet open. No junction box, no obvious way to reach the latch.

Are there any images of this about? I've seen a few threads that all seem to say the same thing about going through the wheel arch - but I'm not quite savvy enough to figure it out without visual guidance, it appears...

I have booked it into a garage next week as a backup.
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

There's a bit of info in this thread which you will be able to see once your upgrade is processed viewtopic.php?t=31170
tycra
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by tycra »

If your nimble enough.. I was able to slide under the van, you could jack it up if needed. Using a long screwdriver you can release the mechanism.. Saves time on removing arch lining.
Mikelewis
100BHP+

Post by Mikelewis »

@dan@biali
Awesome, thanks - I did wonder if there was a thread I couldn't see! I'll have another go when I have access.
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikelewis
100BHP+

Post by Mikelewis »

@tycra
I just couldn't see where to poke said screwdriver. I'm also probably not nimble enough but I have ample brute force and ignorance...
If I know where to poke I will get there. I just need something visual to help, I think.
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

We keep this issue out of the public forums for very good reason but there's probably some tit on YouTube that's done a 30m video about it otherwise your local garage should sort it for you when you next go in.

If your issue is on the handle end like the cable broken or come out of the handle you can carefully pull the cable with some pliers to open it.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Mikelewis
100BHP+

Post by Mikelewis »

The cable is intact at the handle end but with not resistance. There wasn’t a snapping feeling when it happened but more of a soft pop. Which makes me think the cable popping out at the junction box sounds like a strong possibility.
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
tycra
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by tycra »

Im unsure if different models will be harder to access that way tbh. Id recommend a good light source and eye protection and it should be easy enough.

If you dont get it sorted and no one else chimes in to say it will be harder for your model ill get a few pictures/ video when i get a chance
Mikelewis
100BHP+

Post by Mikelewis »

@tycra - that would be awesome, thanks.

There’s a chance that the info is in a thread I can’t view yet. Upgrade pending so might get more info soon.
Mikelewis
100BHP+

Post by Mikelewis »

I had the local garage do mine in the end. They said they wedged the bonnet up and undid the bolts holding the catch…

That may present itself as useful for anyone else stuck and trying other things. Although, as I didn’t see this happen I can’t confirm how easy it is…
Scottish Scrutineer
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Scottish Scrutineer »

You can ease some of the strain off the catch if the release is stiff by getting someone to press down on the bonnet whilst the cable is being pulled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Renny

Motorsport Scrutineer
T5.1 CAravelle