Caddy Maxi 1.6tdi 2016 problem.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
blueboy
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Caddy Maxi 1.6tdi 2016 problem.

Post by blueboy »

Scoobysrt wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:02 pm Have you checked the glow plugs? As I said earlier if thats the warning light that's on that's the first place to check.

You need someone with vcds.
Its been into limp mode twice now, will only drive in 3rd gear max 2000 rpm @35mph jumps & judders if I try to put it into 4th gear. Would a glow plug defect cause limp mode ? The guy that does my repairs/servicing seems to think it points to an intermittent fault with the EGR sticking.

My Caddy is 2016 & was told that they were more reliable after 2013 I know the 1.6 gets a little stick for reliability but its done 104000 I have had it for a year & 4 months without any issues & I really like the van, revs & pulls well very good on fuel & a smooth drive. Cost of changing it to say a 2litre would dwarf the cost of the EGR.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

I don't know for sure with the caddy (mines a 16 as well but it's a 2.0) but all the other vans like the transits, connects, transporters etc of the last few years now need the glow plugs to be on all the time, they used to just come on for starting but now run all the time and if that's the same with the caddy yes a faulty glow plug could cause the issues you've got but so would an injector fault.

A faulty egr valve definitely comes up on diagnostics and will bring the check engine light up, the fact you've got the glow plug light on doesn't immediately point to egr for me.

I've just sold my 07 1.9 with egr fault, it never once brought up the glow plug light and never went into limp mode. I ran it with the egr fault for a long time.

It just doesn't make sence to me that an egr fault would bring up the glow plug light and as it costs nothing to test the glow plugs I would at least test that side before spending out on the egr which isn't actually showing as being at fault by your guys diagnostics nor your dash lights.

Its only my opinion though, maybe get a second opinion from someone local that has vcds.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
blueboy
Caddy Fan

Post by blueboy »

Cheers mate for your input, I know absolutely s**t about cars or vans & have to rely on people that hopefully do. I agree that no fault code seems a bit strange when so many on here have had this code or that code when EGR has been faulty. As I said before the guy that looks after it certainly has a very good reading device (looks like a laptop) & may very well be a vcds system but don't really know. He is trying to help me as he is a good guy & for sure would not do unnecessary work. I have no choice but to try what he reckons the problem is.
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Glow plugs only used for initial cold start and then they’re switched off (large battery drain). On my 1.9 TDI glow plug faults don’t show up on the instrument cluster, I only knew 2 had failed when I carried out a VCDS scan.

I would guess the coil light and err code are pointing to something else!

Would be worthwhile doing a diagnostic while running the van at the revs and see what gets logged when the fault occurs. Can’t help with what to log though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
blueboy
Caddy Fan

Post by blueboy »

My VW Transporter used to flash the glow plug light if the brake lights were out, already checked that & brake lights ok. Trouble is mate the fault is intermittent, While its in limp mode & I am going down a hill if I turn the engine off then back on again it cleared the fault. (that was yesterday). On Wednesday I tried that & it would not clear the fault, I managed to get it to the car park in town & when I came back it was fine again, I went to a mates house in the evening about 30 miles & no problems at all. Like you say it may pay me to take my reader with me as it has live running & if it goes into limp mode I could plug in for live data & see what its doing. From what I have read about injectors going most seem to break down completely & need rescue to get them to a garage so have discounted that thats the problem, it runs smooth enough in limp mode without anything like a misfire but will not go over 2000 rpm, if I try pressing the pedal down further it seems like its cut out all together until I take my foot off.
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Caddy Maxi 1.6tdi 2016 problem.

Post by C Chis »

Ah, some folks on here with the 1.6 have had intermittent limp mode that clears with an restart and it’s ended up being the wiring loom or injector, it could be an early warning of failure!

Having an older 1.9 I’ve never had that problem.

Do a search and you should be able to find a few folks that have had similar issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
blueboy
Caddy Fan

Post by blueboy »

Update on this ongoing problem. I had the EGR replaced & all seemed well. I drove about 60 miles today & after 55 it went into limp mode again but this time along with the glow plug light & ERR message the engine management light came on as well.

I have breakdown so called the mechanic in to see if he could fix the problem as did not fancy a 60 mile drive home in 3rd gear under 2000 rpm.

The mechanic arrived, told him about the EGR I had replaced a few days ago & he went on to plug into the system, he found injector 3 open circuit so thats obviously the problem I have had which has now failed all together. Had to get taken home on the back of a breakdown truck.

I now need to fix the injector on cylinder 3, I had a quick look online & they seem to vary in price an awful lot, some are new some are refurbed adding to the confusion as I read they can't be refurbed because the electrical part that fails cannot be replaced so at the moment I don't know how to fix this. I have had a £700 bill for the EGR so could well do without an expensive injector as well so hope someone can advise the way to go with this.

If anyone can advise where to get a decent injector at a fair price I am all ears. Thanks for any info given.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

blueboy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:26 pm While its in limp mode & I am going down a hill if I turn the engine off then back on again it cleared the fault.
Never do that on a diesel with the clutch out (bump start).
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Frans
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Frans »

Even completely worn injectors on a 1.6 tdi will not trigger a fault code....

Check injector values with VCDS. Also check all the injector wiring for any problems. Replace all 4 injectors with NEW ones if you want to drive trouble free for the next few years. Not replace just one. ;)