The coilovers vs springs

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
t_Molloy
Caddy Fan

The coilovers vs springs

Post by t_Molloy »

Well everyone looking for some caddy vets to help me out looking to lower my van , I have bought 45mm eibach springs . But people are saying to me coilovers are better for comfort , I’m sure this question has been asked and answered but would love to know your opinions.

Thank you
Bad666
200BHP+

Re: The coilovers vs springs

Post by Bad666 »

I’m looking as well T I’m looking at Bilstein or darkside bc racing? Would be interesting to see what people think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

If 45mm drop is all you want, so long as your original shocks are in good condition, you won't go wrong with Eibach springs.
Why someone would suggest coilovers to be a better option for such a small drop is beyond me.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

I don't see how comfort changes, I've had vehicles lowered on springs and vehicles lowered on shocks and springs, the spring is the deciding factor I think as long as your original shocks are in good order I don't see a difference but I haven't done both options on the same vehicle so can't say for sure.

What I will say it lowering on adjustable shocks allows you to set the ride height correctly between front and rear if dropping a decent amount. With very reasonable kits available under £400 for front and rear together I think its a no brainer to do the shocks as well.

Edit, doc beat me to it lol.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
t_Molloy
Caddy Fan

Post by t_Molloy »

Great replies all round thanks very much !👍
Limzy2k
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Limzy2k »

@Bad666
I got a set of B4’s & eibach springs as a kit, will be fitting them soon got to do timing kit & water pump tomorrow after work I’ll let you know how they ride once I’ve got them hooked up

Last edited by Giddy on Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote
Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

You can buy 'cheap' coilover sets, which ride horribly as they are made to a budget.

If you wanted to lower it by a set amount, as Doc says, springs are all you need and if you want to drop it further then you ideally need a decent set of coilovers, but you will need to spend out on a good set if you don't want a shite ride.

I'm doing my shocks, spring and brakes this weekend. I have opted for new Bilstein shocks with H&R springs up front. Then flipping the rear axel with a Darkside kit. I'm only looking for around a 50/60mm drop overall.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

The 'cheap' coil over sets get quite good write ups on here perhaps there's even cheaper ones then often mentioned.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Bad666
200BHP+

Post by Bad666 »

@Limzy2k
Let me know

Last edited by Giddy on Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote, added username tag
Limzy2k
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Limzy2k »

@Bad666
How’s it going mate got it all dialled in now! Rides real nice now deffo deffo recommend!
Did take a little longer than planed had a pressure fit nut on the top hat spin loose that I had to drill out. And I ended up doing CVJ’s while it was all off.

The back was a bit tricky, drop the rear axle, flip the leafs there’s locator pins you need to remember to flip them too, couple of pains but was a fun job!

Last edited by Giddy on Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Handyandy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Handyandy »

If you watch the wolfsburg channel on YouTube they use the eibach springs from darkside they reckon there far more superior than coilovers
I bought a budget set of coilovers and I do get a harsh ride I'm thinking of changing to the eibach lowering springs
Beluga blue caddy remapped to 145ish side window and bonnet deflector lowered and 18" calibre rims on 225/40/18
Limzy2k
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Limzy2k »

Yeah man honestly I couldn’t agree more, all my other cars on on coilovers… I’m glad I put the caddy on the B4 & Eibach combo. Really happy with it

Last edited by Giddy on Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad666
200BHP+

Post by Bad666 »

What kits did you use in the end Limzy2k ?

Limzy2k
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Limzy2k »

Went for:
Bilstein B4 shocks front & rear
Eibach springs 60mm
Adjustable shackles

Brought that all in a kit for £449 3days posted

Went for MOOG drop links all corners roughly
£14 a corner

Last edited by Giddy on Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

Hi mate where did you get the kit from please?
63 plate 1.6tdi startline in reflex silver
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
RCD330-lowered on kw stx coilovers
More to follow 8)