Rear uneven after lowering - Help!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
KyleAshdown
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Rear uneven after lowering - Help!

Post by KyleAshdown »

I did mine at the weekend with darkside rear kit and 60mm eibach springs. I tightened everything so it was in place but had play while it was in the air, so basically it could rattle about but not fall out of place. Then moved the axle stands under the rear beam to put the weight on the rear end as if the wheels were on, and tightened absolutely everything only then. I’ve had zero issues since. Only trouble i had was i forgot to plug in the wiper motor on the front! Didnt realise until it rained the day after and they wouldnt switch on! Stood in the rain pulling it apart again was great fun
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

@Drewcole
Yes, axle clamps and antiroll bar can be done in the air. Give the axle a little wiggle before you tighten it up, make sure it sitting flush with the clamps.
I would tighten the shocks with loaded suspension. They sit about 45 degrees to the body and even less when lowered, you likely get some twisting force on the shock bushings if tightened up in the air.
Leaf spring bolts and rear shackle bolts have to be tightened up with loaded suspension. You can use axle stands under the axle as mentioned before, or those mini ramps under the wheels, will give you some room to get underneath. Once it's loaded, it should sit level before you tighten everything up.

If you still having a problem, then maybe one of your leaf springs was replaced at some point? If they not completely rusted, you may be able to identify part numbers on them, or maybe even a visual difference.
Goes without saying, but it should be checked on a level ground. Also, how is the loaded spread inside, maybe you have a heavy rack or something on one side?
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

That's brilliant info thanks, will get all that done tomorrow!

No load in the back at all, third row of seats has been taken out for now too.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

@Giddy just wanted to say thank for the advice, have just got back from the test drive having redone the rear.

I did find that the smaller leaf on one side was backwards, which is from where I split them when putting back on... soun that around and got everythign tightened under load.

Everything sitting much better and there isn't any knocking to mention from the rear at all.

thanks. :D
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

Good to hear it's all sorted now :)
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<