Oil & filter advice

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Oil & filter advice

Post by RY_VW »

Oil light came on as I set off home from work so had to nip in the petrol station opposite and get a bottle but only had 1l which begs the question would it be worth me having an oil and filter change or a service before filling it up to the required capacity? 1.6tdi & Last service was 9k ago. Seems a bit backwards filling it with fresh engine oil with an old filter.
63 plate 1.6tdi startline in reflex silver
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
RCD330-lowered on kw stx coilovers
More to follow 8)
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Oil & filter advice

Post by the swan fiend »

I’d be looking into the source of your oil loss first. How much oil did you loose before it put the light on? IMO It depends on how long it’s taken you to do the 9k miles. Myself personally, I do about 9/10k a year in my van. I do an oil and filter change every 12 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

Tbh I cant remember the last time I checked it :roll: so I'd like to think it has just ran out bit will have a nosey just to make sure. 10 months so on par with you give or take a bit and tbf last night i didn't click on how soon my mot will be due so probably hold out till then and get a service done whilst in 8) cheers for the knwodlege swan :D
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
More to follow 8)
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

You shouldn't be using that much oil does it smoke or is there a patch under where you park it?
From full to light flashing after 9k in 12 months is excessive loss to say the least.
Unless the garage diddled you and didn't actually change the oil or filter.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

Oooh err:/ idk I'll have a look when I finish I cant say I've noticed one and definitely no smoke. And I'd like to think not I get on with the garage very well and used him a while now. Will have an inspection tonight and see if I can see anything. Thanks for the replies and advice guys 8)
More to follow 8)
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

So just got in and checked and theres no signs of any oil leaking and there was nothing on the ground when I moved it so idk :?:
More to follow 8)
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Speaking to mechanics over the years. I’ve heard some say that occasionally, engines do burn a litre every 1000 miles. Also no two are the same in that respect. That seems excessive to me and I’ve never experienced it personally.
It’s good that you’ve eliminated any oil leaks. I think your next course of action is have the oil changed. Drive right home and check the oil level. (It’ll still be golden at that point so you know it’s new. It’ll blacken up after 500 or so miles)
Then start weekly oil checks. Take photos if you can for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

Okay will do, cheers for that swan 8)
More to follow 8)