Lowering again after axle flip

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Jono1
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Lowering again after axle flip

Post by Jono1 »

Hi guys.

Im wanting to drop the rear of my maxi a bit lower, it’s had a rear axle flip done by previous owner.

Should this be done with the van on the floor or in the air? It’s currently on the middle setting, im just going to try going 1 up to start im assuming I will probably have to cut down the bump stops as they haven’t been cut yet. How easy are they to cut down?

Thanks.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: Lowering again after axle flip

Post by Scoobysrt »

You can do it on a jack or the floor, altering the rear hangers doesn't have to have van weight on them.

Cutting the bump stops is easy, don't take them off as they can be a real pig to get back on, cut with a hacksaw only takes a minute. Cut the first (bottom most) bit off.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

@scoobysrt

Cheers mate, will probably just go for it with van on the floor.

Does it need any particular torque setting?
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

To be honest there probably is a torque setting but it's not in my instructions on that page but at the start of the instructions there is this,
I just did mine tight, doing it while on the floor is the best way I reckon.

I did see this in the instructions that you may find useful,
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

Spot on mate thanks 👍
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

Tried this last weekend in between call outs for work… fair to say it didn’t go well at all and the van is still in the centre hole 😂.

Once I slackened the bolt on the rear hangers it pulled through the first hanger (so it was only through the leaf and the second hangar) and the leaf spring seemed to be slightly twisted and I couldn’t get the bolt out.

So I managed to get the bolt back through after a lot of struggling and swearing.

Am I doing something wrong? I may re attempt this weekend as I should have more time .
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

Once you jack the van up, you need to use some sort of support for the axle. It is heavy and it will drop on you if you remove the bolts.
Best to put the van on the axle stands and use the jack to support the axle. Also this will give you possibility to adjust/set the height, so refitting the bolts will be easy .
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<