Problems after DMF installation

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
D866
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Problems after DMF installation

Post by D866 »

Strange problem after a DMF installation into a 1.9 Tdi 2008 Caddy.
When the van gets hot a ticking noise starts and gets louder and louder. I suspect that the clutch/pressure plate is hitting something?
The flywheel was centred and torqued correctly, as was the pressure plate, the gear box is fitting in the dowels.
It’s strange as there is no vibration and when the van cools down after been off for a while the noise is gone until it heats up again!

Any ideas what I should check!
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Problems after DMF installation

Post by Doc »

Is it possibly the dust plate that's touching the pressure plate?
These often get distorted and need some manipulation to prevent them rubbing.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
D866
100BHP+

Post by D866 »

I thought that and I removed the smaller cover on the inside above the drivers side drive shaft to check but it made no difference.
What has me thrown is the fact it only does it when the car heats up which would make me think that something is has a tight clearance and then expands and starts rubbing as it gets louder as it gets hotter.

I think the only option is to take off the gearbox and see if there is any sign of rubbing in the bell housing.

It’s a Sachs four piece kit from Wexford so unless it’s a fake Chinese copy I’d say the DMF and clutch kit is genuine
D866
100BHP+

Post by D866 »

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?th ... nt.424245/

Very similar problem to this so it may be the dust cover.
theoldseacaptain
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by theoldseacaptain »

One of my Touran's made exactly this noise when the DMF was failing - Had been previously owned by an older guy who drove it in 6th gear and engine on its knees most of the time!. The weakened springs were letting it touch one spot on the inside of the bell housing but only when air temperature was warm (over about 20) and engine was properly hot which made it an absolute nightmare to track down!

A quick trim with the dremel around the high spot before fitting the new DMF and no problems ever again. Went on to take it on long trips to South Europe, so 30+ degrees and very hot engine without issue.
D866
100BHP+

Post by D866 »

This makes perfect sense I will remove the gearbox and hopefully will find signs of rubbing. I'll update the tread with pictures for future reference when I'm finished.
Last edited by Giddy on Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
D866
100BHP+

Post by D866 »

Just to clear this up, I took off the gearbox and ground off some of the bell housing where it looked like there was damage resulting in high spots.
All good upon refitment.
PeeWee2k
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PeeWee2k »

Good job! May i ask how hard it was to drop the gearbox? Need to the same in the near future
D866
100BHP+

Post by D866 »

No bother dropping it out. The second time I left the passenger side bottom arm and drop link in. And it still came out ok.
The tricky park is getting it back in. I used a fencing strainer to lift it back up as it’s hard to get a good grip on it.
Like most jobs it was done twice as fast taking it out the second time😂
PeeWee2k
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PeeWee2k »

D866 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:04 pm Like most jobs it was done twice as fast taking it out the second time😂
8) really good point, so true! Thanks for the feedback!