caddy is playing up

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
andymotorhead
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

caddy is playing up

Post by andymotorhead »

hello

ive a 1.6 caddy maxi life diesel 62 reg. for the second time today, after setting off and only gone about half a mile or so, the glow plug light was flashing and the car looses power quite badly. after stopping and switching off,then trying again it seems to be alright again. has anyone else had owt like this happen and could tell me what it is please. the first time it happened i took it to my local garage and he didnt know.
the only other thing that is strange is when you turn on the ignition sometimes thers a sort of setting up noise then its quiet, but other times it carries on making the noise intermitantly but the car runs ok. ive wanted one of these for ages and have had it since december
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: caddy is playing up

Post by Doc »

Hi there, welcome to the forum.
When you turn off and back on, does the fault reoccur again after driving another short distance or is it only once on a trip it happens?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
andymotorhead
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by andymotorhead »

hello doc

yes it has been ok for the rest of the journey , the only thing i can add, is that we parked it with inside wheels up on pavement, at our sons house on both times it has happened, but that shouldnt effect the car running should it.

thanks andy
ps my nickname andy motorhead is not because of my knollage of cars , its because of the band. so thanks for the hel
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

It is possible you have some problem in your fuel system which may well be allowing air in. Thus you're essentially running without enough fuel for the start of your journey.

Did the garage say if there were any codes stored on the engine ECU which might help find the cause?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
andymotorhead
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by andymotorhead »

yes he did a diagnostic check and it flagged up 3 faults one was i think a fault with erg unit (cant remember im looking for the paperwork now)

i think it was erg, he said it was a bugger to get at, and quite expensive if it needed replacing.

the other 2 fault were just a wing mirror and radio ariel .

so he did a reset and took the van out for a good run and check.

and the erg code did not come back and he said the van ran lovely.

that was about 7 or 8 weeks ago, and then it did it again today.
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

My egr was £460 supply and fit iirc if you want a ball park figure, in my driving history having that and an injector go in the same year is still good going for total annual repair bills :mrgreen:
63 plate 1.6tdi startline in reflex silver
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
RCD330-lowered on kw stx coilovers
More to follow 8)
andymotorhead
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by andymotorhead »

ive just been reading about faulty egr and it mentioned bad excelleration and a lot of smoke out the back.

its not smoking badly at all , and the fault has only happened twice.

so do you think it is the egr or is there anything else that it could be.

many thanks for help.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

If it was the EGR, expect it to get progressively worse.
It's still puzzling as to why it's only happen when parked as you said.

andymotorhead
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by andymotorhead »

yes cheers doc.

thats how i read it , youd think it would happen all the time and get worse.

the parking it at my sons house ,probably is just a coincidence , but when summuts going wrong you think allsorts eh.

could it be a sensor thats playing up , also you mentioned air getting in the system , is that still a possibility.

the local garage man has gone on holiday so im a bit buggered.

if it is the egr is it still ok to drive, as i dont want to damage owt.

thanks andy
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

If the EGR is failing, you might find your DPF will suffer slightly. Either struggling to regenerate or needing to more often.
It's usually not a problem but if it does start causing problems you'll spot it in your MPG very quickly.

andymotorhead
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by andymotorhead »

morning

ive just been out for a test run to see if i can give you any more info.

first of all the parking on an angle is not a factor, because this morning it did it from home where she is parked on flat surface and the yellow pigs tail

dash light was on flashing away. she does not want to go above 2000 revs and feels like its being held back by a big bungy cord, but dosent sound

rough or owt just dosnt want to pull at all , no smoke at all from exhaust. again just feels like its being held back.

so i pulled in and switched off for a couple of minuits, started her up and she ran lovely no light on ect.

stopped at garage and she started up again and ran fine, so i did a couple of steady miles, then gave her a hard push, she really shot off and

accelerated surprizingly quick and she shot up to 80mph in no time and kickdown on autobox was again lovely no problems.

and no clouds of smoke either, really ran well.

the only thing to add is when i was back on driveway, the dash said safelock and went off and for a few seconds a spanner icon in the bottom left hand

corner of readout came on.then off again. thanks again andy. slightly happyer but very confused.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

This is strange, I'm thinking a good checkup is in order. There should be stored fault codes, even if there's nothing live at the time of checking.

The safelock message is standard, just not always spotted as you don't tend to look at the instrument cluster when getting out.
The spanner symbol will be because you're due a service.

andymotorhead
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by andymotorhead »

thanks again doc

just worried about doing any damage to the car, as finances are tight , ive had to take early retirement due do having bad spine problems

although just a boy of 59, so i went for the caddy as the big retirement treat and hopefully keep her for years.
andymotorhead
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by andymotorhead »

looked through the history that came with the car

theres a recipit for a new egr valve £365 plus labour of £240.

this was done on the 2nd of january 2020. the mileage done is about 8,000 since then.

can it have gone wrong again so quickly?
DC10CAD
Caddy Fan

Post by DC10CAD »

I am having the same atm if i go to put foot down it will kinda splutter then go again but today for first time it threw the coil light at me switched engine off & back on it was fine attached is codes its thrown at me any ideasImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk