Drivers Door Jammed Shut

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
idallow
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Drivers Door Jammed Shut

Post by idallow »

I've just picked up another Caddy as a bit of a project

I have an issue with the drivers door, will not open from outside or inside,

So before anyone says adjust the outer door cable that isnt even connected and because the lock barrel is in place I cant get in there with a set of pliers to pull at it,

The interior handle just sounds like its come out of its mounting on the lock iself, so far I've peeled back the top of the door card and disconnected the interior cable and had a fiddle with that

I think my next thing must be to get the driver seat out and then see if I can get the door card off to get at the carrier unless someone can provide any words of wisdom or a solution

Thanks in advance
2016 2.0 CR DSG Highline - Caddy number 7 !
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: Drivers Door Jammed Shut

Post by Scoobysrt »

It may be worth looking down an open window slot, you don't mention year but if you very carefully wedge the two skins apart you may be able to see more.

I presume the lock is unlocked and it's just the handle?
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
idallow
200BHP+

Post by idallow »

Ive now got some access to the lock, the inner pull cable is all connected ok and the lever is moving,

The outer cable is actually snapped off but I can move the lever on the lock itself, the lock motor appears to be working ok but operating each lever on the lock inside the door has no effect

Dont really want to get in there with a grinder unless I really have to...
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

See if you can get a wd40 straw down the edge of the door to the catch between the door and frame, sounds like it's seized up.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
idallow
200BHP+

Post by idallow »

So I finally got the door open, the lock was totally frozen. I've done loads of these and thought this one was going to beat me !

It turns out the bottom door hinge was broken and the door sagging which I think made the problem worse, even with taking the weight by lifting the door it would still not release and I was about to get a grinder to it and I thought F*** it I'll smack the lock itself with a club hammer and the thing then released.

I actually hit the lock itself inside the door cavity as I had the window regulator peeled back

Just need to use the same club hammer to beat the carrier assembly flat again :(

One day VW will actually design a proper lock....