Engine transplant

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Engine transplant

Post by the swan fiend »

One thing I’ll add to this. It’ll probably be a good idea to read through build threads of people who have undertaken engine transplants. It’ll give you an idea of the magnitude of the work involved. That should make you picky about who you let undertake the work.
As Lister79 says, you can come unstuck. Ask to see previous conversions, speak to owners direct and ask their experience. Reputable garages would happily put you in contact with their customers I’d say.

Good luck whatever you chose mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

I’ve had a pd130 engine code asz put in mine which is out of the mk4 golf 1.9tdi this is the most common engine conversion to be done when the bls engine destroys itself with the con rods, I’ve got a few other mods on mine for more power etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndyBa
Caddy Fan

Post by AndyBa »

Doc wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:26 pm Anything that came in a mk5/6 golf chassis will bolt right in with no fabrication required, with the exception of just the W12.
1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.5, 3.2, 1.6TDI, 1.9TDI, 2.0TDI, they are all possibilities.
From what I read the well regarded 1.9TDI is incompatible with the 1.6 brains so I guess that isn't a straightforward option?
What are the better 2.0TDI engine codes since I know BMM can have camshaft issues(ours did at 110k with fsh) and I believe BKD too?
(edit) just thinking on those 2.0TDI engines I've mentioned are PD. I guess the ones Doc is referring to are CR/Common Rail. But the same question applies.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I think you'd be a very brave man to run any transplanted engine on the original ECU (brain). That's a sure fire way of scrapping an engine unless it's a like for like swap.

I've not specified PD or CR, I've given a list of engine sizes that will fit in the bay and can be made to run. Both PD and CR are possible in any caddy 2004-2020 if you do it rite.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
AndyBa
Caddy Fan

Post by AndyBa »

Oops I should have clarified what I meant!
I was suggesting using the matching ECU for the engine. However I guess that may mean other complications.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Totally dependent on the original and replacement engine. For example if you were to swap from a EDC16 controlled 1.9TDI (BJB/BLS for example) to a EDC16 controlled 2.0TDI (BKD for example) there's no changes necessary in the ECU chassis side wiring.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort