Caddy powered 230v generator

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Caddy powered 230v generator

Post by VanLife »

A bit of a different one for you...I'm hoping some of the engine wizards may be able to offer some advice.

I live in an area which has fairly frequent power cuts. We were without power for 14h one day last week and its just gone off again which has got me thinking.

I have a complete CAYD engine I removed from my Caddy and I'm thinking about the possibility of using it as a generator, coupling it to a 230v alternator.

I have the complete engine with all ancillaries, ECU, engine loom, rad pack and some other bits.

My question is what is the minimum requirements to get the engine running on a frame? What inputs does the ECU need to start and run the engine?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited by VanLife on Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Caddy powered 230v generator

Post by Doc »

Generator engines are a completely different animal to a road engine.
Low RMP, bags of torque and often external cooling systems are ideal.
Keep in mind that the 102bhp is about 75kw but that peak power is at an RPM much higher than you'll need to run a generator.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Post by VanLife »

I know its not ideal for a generator but it's free as I've already got it. It'll probably only need about 10bhp to drive an alternator big enough to power the house. If I couple it with a belt and pullies I can gear it. The engine will be overkill but I like doing these types of projects for the fun of it.

The alternator is quite cheap at about £300 so could be a very cheap generator. It would be even better if I could run it on heating oil/kerosene as we have a tank of that already!

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

You'll buy a small generator for not much more than you'll get for your Turbo, injector and some other bits off your 1.6TDI. To me, it's not worth cobbling something together.
Another concern for me is how you're get the ECU to fire the engine and regulate RPM depending on load.

Coming from an electrical background and knowing these engines, to me it's still not a viable option.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Post by VanLife »

Thanks Doc, if you can't see how the electrics/controls would work then I've got no hope I'm good with the mechanical side and even the wiring but control systems isn't my strong point!

I was naively hoping it would be possible to get the ECU to work without the vehicle harness/components.

mrhutch
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by mrhutch »

Love this idea!

Go for a small idi Diesel engine - CS engines 1.6 from the 80’s vag stable are bulletproof and will run on oil
06 sdi caddy2k :: 81 Transporter T3 :: 2015 Golf 1.4 TSI :: Freelander (sorry)
Herefordshire and all over.
VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Post by VanLife »

I like that idea!

Buying a generator big enough to power the house would cost a fair bit. The small ones aren't enough to keep the fridge, freezer, cooker, etc going.

DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

I'm a electrician that works on large back uo generation systems from large industrial water works to small commercial premises in London.
The controls just to keep the regulation for the voltages and a steady frequency is quite complex that are interacted within the alternators.
All engines run at a consistent 1500rpm for optimum voltage and frequency outputs.
You would be better off buying a generator that is fit for purpose plus will come with some form.of warranty.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

To run your whole house you'll be looking at something like a 30-35kw generator, a £300 alternator? More like a £20k generator, honestly you should probably give up on the whole idea.
A windmill with back up batteries is probably a much better solution to stop your freezer defrosting etc and I'm sure you can do without tv for a few hours.
Lovely idea but really not practical.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Post by VanLife »

30-35kW is probably enough for a small commercial unit!

The cooker uses the most power by a long shot. 10kW if you use all hobs, the oven and grill at the same time. Normally more like 2-3kW with a hob or 2 or the oven.

Large fridge/freezer is about 100W.

TVs, Computers etc easily less than 1kW.

This is a 7kW alternator for £300.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leroy-Somer- ... 635-2958-0

The control side seems to be the sticking point!

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Its the start up wattage you need to use not the running power, I got my figure from a website for running your home on a generator, let me see if I can find it again,
I just looked at what would be needed out of interest from what has been said.

Edit, it was just the first website that came up when i searched, here's the website https://energytoday.biz/blog/how-big-of ... hole-house
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Post by VanLife »

The 35kW includes washer, dryer, electric heater, AC, range cooker, microwave, security system, garage door and TVs etc all running at the same time!

For us it would just be to keep us going until the power came back on. We both work from home so computers are the main thing but if it's off for long we would need to cook as well.

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

I see, a laptop 12v charger and a gas stove then? :lol:

You can get battery back up systems for smaller loads like yours, kept topped up with windmills or solar panels, some will run washing machines etc.
A lot more eco friendly than oil burners.
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

If you are set on some sort of diesel generator, I'd look for a reconditioned unit fit for purpose, add an Mts or ats, a supply failure relay to give your generator a start signal then either one of the 2 above switches will switch the supply over to your homes consumer unit.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Post by VanLife »

Thats helpful advice, thanks!

I'd still like to build my own as I like a challenge but need to work out if the control side is possible.

There are a few videos on YouTube of people building their own so I'll see what they've done.