Van going into limp mode.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Lascelles44
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Van going into limp mode.

Post by Lascelles44 »

Hi guys new here.

I recently bought a VW caddy 1.6 10 plate. At first it seemed to run really really well. I’ve had it for a just over 3 weeks now and I’m having a problem with the glow plug light coming on and it going into limp mode.

It only seems to do it when the engine is cold. The had been a new turbo fitted also. It’s been on VCDS and a problem with the turbo booster comes up any ideas or would be massively appreciated!
Baldspeed Racing
100BHP+

Re: Van going into limp mode.

Post by Baldspeed Racing »

your best bet would be get the van plugged in to Vagcom and get some error codes, this will dial in the problem.

I had similar issues earlier in the year which turned out to be my EGR being knackered. So I got it coded out along with the DPF and shes not missed a beat since. But yeh see what codes you get first
Lascelles44
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Lascelles44 »

Is Vagcom the same as VCDS? I had it on the VCDS last week and I’m sure it said something about the turbo booster will have a look when I’m home and see what the code was. When you say you got it coded out do you mean deleted? I was looking at doing this but was unsure about the MOT situation when deleting it. A lot of people are saying the EGR valve so will have to mention this toy mechanic. The van is over at the garage now so will update when he’s had a good look at it!

Excuse my inexperience within these topics not had that much experience with used cars and vans.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Vagcom is the old name gif it, the up to date equipment is called vcds.

A mot tester probably won't look at a delete.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Cov-Caddy
Caddy Fan

Post by Cov-Caddy »

Injector mate common fault and expensive,1.6 is known for them going £300+
Baldspeed Racing
100BHP+

Post by Baldspeed Racing »

@Lascelles44
its still fitted just coded on a remap mate along with the dpf. it made a huge a difference as the engine revs a lot quicker now. Also my mate does my MOT's so all covered there :D
Last edited by Giddy on Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
Lascelles44
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Lascelles44 »

Have to let you guys know when the garage looks at it! I was thinking about that egr delete but might leave the dpf alone for now.

Two guys in work used to have a 1.6 caddy and they said they both had exactly the same problem and never got to the bottom of it.

I did mention the injectors to him and he said they normally misfire and mine doesn’t seem to be doing that at the minute. Thanks so much for all your comments. Grey being able to brainstorm everyone’s ideas.
Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Exuptoy »

I’ve just bought a 56 1.9 with a wiring fault inside the plastic conduit behind the rad. Bought it as a spares or repairs vehicle as it was in limp mode with EGR and cam sensor issue after the PO had replaced the crank sensor which didn’t cure it. I found 4 wires worn through and cut and soldered back to a good section off wire. Took around 2hrs to complete. Had to remove the airbox and that was it.
Lascelles44
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Lascelles44 »

Hi guys,

Thought I’d reply to you all on here. I’m going to talk like I know what I’m on about here 😂. The vans been fixed thankfully! The problem seemed to be the diaphragm in the turbo. It wasn’t holding any boost pressure but there was also a problem with the rocker box cover reservoir on the engine so that was replaced. The first injector was leaking so I had them all taken out and seals replaced also.

Van drives lovely now, thanks for all your help and suggestions on what the problem might be. I can concentrate on the van aesthetically now 😃😃😃😃