Not starting issue

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Tomtomgo
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Not starting issue

Post by Tomtomgo »

Hi guys. I'm having a bit of trouble with my van starting when left cold. It's happened twice now where I've gone away in the van for a few days its been fine. Come back home left it for a day or two and then won't start. It cranks quickly but just doesn't want to start. Any ideas? 2007 1.9tdi BLS
Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Re: Not starting issue

Post by Exuptoy »

Any fault codes, lights?
I just bought mine, a 56 1.9 BLS with long starting issues. Looked on YouTube for long start or ECU issues found multiple videos of wiring breaks in the trunking conduit behind the rad. This loom feeds most of the engine.
Took out airbox, removed loom from clips, took off the split cable trunking and found wires had been chafing and worn through / almost through. 4 x in total, cut out bad sections and soldered in short lengths of wire. Fault codes clear and never been an issue since.
I confirmed it first by checking the cam sensor with a multi meter. One wire is earth through ECU and two wires are 5v and 5v reference for signal. Mine had lost one of the 5v. Confirmed when I found the cut wire in loom.
Tomtomgo
Caddy Fan

Post by Tomtomgo »

Thanks for reply! No lights on dash and no fault codes, seems to happen more often when under a third of diesel in tank. Had a little look for loose wires/fraying and couldn't see anything of note. Will have a better look later today though cheers!
Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Exuptoy »

The chaffed wires were at the bottom of the loom where it went from a taped loom into the conduit. Worth a look I suppose🤷🏻‍♂️
Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Exuptoy »

Sounds to me like a failing fuel pump. My mate just picked up a T5 that had had a lot of money thrown at many engine parts when it turned out to be the in tank pump. Not an expensive fix. My Range Rover vogue had either two or three pumps and the lift pump was failing. It would run ok but cut out under load.
You can buy a remote sealey fuel tank for about £10. Just hang it under the bonnet and swap over the feeds the next time it happens and let it gravity feed.