Rear end rubs harder than a trainee masseuse

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Alex mc
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Rear end rubs harder than a trainee masseuse

Post by Alex mc »

Hi all looking for some advice. I’m currently running the full stance kit on my mk4 Caddy with 19s but after around a year of driving I’ve began to notice or have heard it rubbing. This has happened on some B roads that I’ve had to use recently. Some of which have those horrendous hidden hollows that throw ye out the seat like a bucking bronco . This also happened the other night on the motorway home too there was a hidden shallow spot on a straight stretch which gave a large bounce throwing everything in the air to the point the furry dices hit a double six but worst of all I heard the dreaded rub so much so I when I got home I had rub marks on the side walls .

Now I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem . At present I’m the 3 hole from the top of the rear hanger. I’m sure the offset of the wheels is et 40-42 cant mind which and there 19 by 9 . I’ve also noticed the plastic rear liners both have holes near rear and outer part of the liner is rubbed up and really thin and melted in places .

Should I go down a hole , fit stiffer shocks or get rid of my 19s and go for something different or all that’s mentioned . I like how the caddy sits at the mo but don’t want it to be rubbing at the paint inside the arch if that’s happening .

Side door passes over the wheels with few mm to spare so there not sticking out to far almost flush.

Any help or advice welcome
Alex mc
200BHP+

Re: Rear end rubs harder than a trainee masseuse

Post by Alex mc »

Here is some pictures unfortunately don’t have any of the melted holes in wheel arch liners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I'm thinking it's just one of those things that comes with running a wheel that's a bit wider than what's ideal and has a bit more offset than is ideal.
For most, 8.5X19 ET45 is the sweet spot.
You could try a few things:
1. Put some new bump stops in and cut them to where the body doesn't contact. This might give you a strange feeling when you do hit a bump as the bump stops will bounce the back end quite harshly.
2. Some harder shocks to resist the movement will work well with the above.
3. Raise the rear a hole or two on the adjusters. Along with 1 & 2, this should see you good.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Alex mc
200BHP+

Post by Alex mc »

@Doc thanks for responding on this one . The advice is greatly appreciated I’ve taken a pic of the bump stop at present .

In your experience would dropping down a hole lift it significantly? Or would it hardly be noticeable. The van sits nice I’m not wanting to loose the nice stance it has.

What rear shocks would you recommend ?
I’ve seen a few forum members have swapped to GAZ adjustable and some have went bilstein . With both having mixed reviews.

I know the stance ones I have fitted are ok but not up there with the best . If it comes to it I’ll sell the wheels . Don’t get me wrong they look good on the van but I want the van to last me as I use it daily .

DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

I've got exactly the same issue as you. Et42 19 inch alloys and lowered the same amount. Personally decided to raise it a hole and see where we are. It's not a big job, makes the most sense and doesn't cost a penny 😊
Alex mc
200BHP+

Post by Alex mc »

@ DeanWhit when you raised it a hole was there a noticeable difference in height as to how it sat before or was it just enough that it still sat nice and had a similar stance? .

If I get time this weekend I’ll give it a go.

DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

I'll let you know as I'll only get time to do it tomorrow.
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

As a rule of thumb, the distance between holes translates into about half of the distance at the wheel (simple physics) :)
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Alex mc
200BHP+

Post by Alex mc »

@Giddy thanks for that heads up mate .so I’d be looking at roughly another 10-15 mm max added to the current gap that I have at the moment . I could live with that.

I’m Working this weekend if I get finished early I’ll get on it.

I’ve already started looking at new wheels these ones could be up for sale soon.

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Correct, a hole is often between 10-20mm on the arch.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

I’d have a look at your leaf springs I had a similar issue with mine van used to bounce all over the place so I swapped the rear shocks to gaz adjustable see if that helped which it didn’t so my only next option was changing the leaf springs to heavy duty which is what I did also with some centralising plates re set the gaz rear shocks and now the van drives spot on no bouncy rear end anymore and my old leafs didn’t look too bad of condition but once off the van I stood on them with all my weight and they flexed so bad compared to the new heavy duty ones.

Alex mc
200BHP+

Post by Alex mc »

@ scoobysrt thank you for confirming mate much appreciated. I just need a free minute to get it done now.

@Azz03

Its not that it bounces around loads it more the rate that it rebounds or slams down. I was just worried the fact that it’s wore through the plastic inner arch at rear inside and noticed a little on outer front eel scrubbing really and thinking has it been rubbing outer arch too when it rebounds after going through dips in the road . The roads up my way are horrible for having hidden hollows dips everywhere road looks flat smooth then wham feels like the vans in the air then slam when it hits bump stops with that ziieeet sound.

Was just curious if anyone else had similar issue and what worked for them .

Thank you for responding and the information mate.

I’ll take a look at leaf springs and the shocks.

Do you have part no for heavy duty shocks or are these special order for third party.

Vans just turned 4years old and shocks are year and half old.

Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

[mention]Alex mc [/mention] what you’ve explained mate is exactly what I was experiencing the rear wheels eventually rubbed through the liner which stopped the rubbing sound and this is common for a lot of lads running bigger wheels it rubs until there’s a hole and then no more lol. I couldn’t even go 5mph over a speed bump without the van slamming back down onto the bump stops or hitting my axle and exhaust I was on the verge of getting rid of the van as it annoyed me that much now I’ve changed my leafs and adjusted my gaz rear shocks it’s nice to drive next on my list is the maxi arb and poly bush the lot

Here’s a link for the leafs I’ve got
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/sachs-le ... b+Networks

DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

Just bringing this back. Van has been raised and its cured the rubbing.... But I now dislike the current stance haha. Going to start seeing what I can do, starting with shocks then probably a wheel swap. Just wondering what shocks people can recommend. Koni, bilstein ect? Don't want to break the bank but willing to spend a bit if I can drop the van back down and not have to get the arch repaired... Again.
Bassvanman
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Bassvanman »

My van was on the standard steel rims it also wore through the plastic arch My audio build is quite heavy it was on a flipped axle and would be so bouncy and smash down on the non exzistant bump stops so I put it back the normal way and it’s been fine couldn’t tell the van is 350kg over weight without fuel or driver I kept the lowering forks and I’m not fully lowered on those it’s a shame that wham you flip the expensive it loses it’s strength I’m hoping the 18” steels jbw make will fill the gap