fuel cap lock/release retrofit

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
sewi
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by sewi »

Hi everyone, newby here.

I was searching and couldn't really find any mention on if is possible to retrofit a fuel cap door with internal release? It bothers me quite a lot cause I am clumsy and often hurt my fingers when unlocking the fuel cap. Really nobody cares about it?
I imagine it might be possible. door with locking pin, cable, motor to pull the cable, and the switch in drivers door card from touran. Is it too much?

Thanks for any suggestions
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: fuel cap lock/release retrofit

Post by Scoobysrt »

Not seen it on a caddy but anything is possible, I would watch your progress with interest if you take it on.

To open the oem flap you press on the left of the flap to lever it out, I then insert the key and turn while holding the cap with the other hand, im not sure how you're hurting your fingers unless you're trying to pull the flap out via the small gap on the right.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
sewi
100BHP+

Post by sewi »

Thanks. Sure when I am careful I can do it no problem but when in hurry or something I often scratch my fingers by the door hinge or something there when rotating the cap. Thinking of it not having to unlock it with key probably wont help much. Guess I have to be careful
Still I want to investigate how hard it would be. It was honestly a bit surprising that some cars in 2010+ still use that. Not like Caddy is particularly cheap car.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

I had an R8 fuel door welded into my side panel when Reflex swapped mine to a smooth side panel and that has a locking flap with solenoid operated button inside my armrest. Not quite what you're asking but shows it can be done.

I'm guessing it is possible to retrofit components to the Caddy fuel flap but I wouldn't expect it to be easy or cheap! Doesn't help that there isn't a version of the fuel door that locks or one with a similar size and shape as its the rubber/plastic trim around it that will be difficult to sort out neatly.
sewi
100BHP+

Post by sewi »

Thanks for the input that is indeed great. I'll google and ask some more to see if I could modify the stock door but it is great to see someone already did it.
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by robblowen »

I've just found this, is this a release catch for a sprung/locked fuel flap and was this an option on any caddy? Number 23 in the diagram?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

sewi
100BHP+

Post by sewi »

That is great find indeed. Thanks for that.
Touran has a solenoid actuator and therefore I guess fully electric circuit for that and this Caddy one is mechanical. From the diagram it bolts next to the fuel flap. wonder if touran lock could be bodged in there as the fuel doors are different.
Some links for that mention locking unit some motor so I guess there's a motor on the other end and that needs some kind of electrical connection?
Could not find any switch either. I saw touran has the fuel unlock switch in driver's door card but caddy's diagram don't mention it.
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

My 2010 caddy fuel flap is manual, I think the locking mechanism shown prevents the sliding door sliding back into the fuel flap when it’s open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by robblowen »

@C Chis I've just stumbled across an old post that showed that! Guess it was just wishful thinking!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

I’d had the same thought a while back too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here