ODB reader and track recording

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
makzimum
Caddy Fan

ODB reader and track recording

Post by makzimum »

I'm thinking about picking up a Carista dongle as it looks like it's pretty flexible and will work with pretty much any of the ELM327 android apps in addition to it's own one.

As well as the usual ODB diagnostics I'd like to find an app that will do track logging for me and generate GPX files of journeys automatically. I could do this independently to the ODB reader and have my phone detect when I connect to the car bluetooth to start a track recording, but I think using the ODB reader would be a more reliable way to signal the start and end of journeys.

Anyone had any experience of doing this, or use of ODB reader apps in general? I have a feeling I can do it with the Torque app but it's hard to tell.
makzimum
Caddy Fan

Re: ODB reader and track recording

Post by makzimum »

Well I've solved my own problem using a great app called MyCarTracks. It's a subscription service, but you can get a free account which logs 2 weeks of data. Uses the car bluetooth to start and stop recording and after a week of use it has been completely flawless. All tracks visible on your account on the web and on your phone and exportable to GPX. Would highly recommend if someone's looking to do the same thing.