I’ve read too many ‘Injector’ horror stories.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
jona1980
Caddy2k Groupie

I’ve read too many ‘Injector’ horror stories.

Post by jona1980 »

Hi all, I’m new here so go easy on me! :)

I’m looking to buy my 1st Caddy & today I went to view a 5 speed 2011 Caddy, 1.6 c20. Overall, everything was ok, apart from a few minor things.. ie needs a new rear brake disc, new tyres & battery fairly soon & oil change.

Putting aside the above the back door alignment slightly out (must’ve been shut with something leant against it inside!) it’s pretty clean, considering its age.

* My main concern, especially after reading numerous posts about the common issues of injectors. This particular caddy has done 139k miles & hasn’t had any injectors changed. Ok, that’s good considering mileage, but I’m just a tad worried one will go on me in the near future! Difficult one to judge I guess, but just wanted to get some opinions on whether to risk buying this caddy.

Cheers!
totty79
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: I’ve read too many ‘Injector’ horror stories.

Post by totty79 »

Opinions will be mine has been fine or mine has been a nightmare, I don't think you're going to get any valuable replies to this.

Those affected are understandably vocal, those still running on original injectors don't want to tempt fate. I'm not aware of any stats/facts on injector life.
Last edited by totty79 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

Been through this saga already with my second caddy I have now.
Had an injector go on me a month back.
Upon looking at the other 3 it looks like injectors on cylinders 2+3 have been replaced in the past as the part numbers have been scratched off so could be reconditioned units. The other 2 looked like vw ones with correct pn's and 6 digit code stamped on them.
I took a punt and bought a couple of reconditioned injectors and keep one in the van along with a few tools and new stretch bolts so if this happens again I can get moving. Not ideal but knew these vans 1.6 engines are not the best. I thought by buying a 2012 107000m van these injectors may have already been done in that time frame of previous ownerships.
Sometimes wished I kept my 2008 1.9tdi one instead now .

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

donnielee
100BHP+

Post by donnielee »

2011 seams to be the worst year,just this week i put in my 8th injector. only have 110,000 kilometers on it bought new,the 1,6 is a good strong engine just has injector problems. look for a newer one or get a 2,0. my 1,6 gets like 1000kilometers a tank
Killomiter
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Killomiter »

Mine is a 2011 D - done 100+ K two are recon swapouts and one original went within 3 months. Swapped it for a recon. I don't expect the last original to last long now. I would say to anyone buying 1.6 that there is a life span on injectors and lucky to reach 100k with them still working. Shoving diesel through is fine it is the electronics that go and no chance to upgrade as they are tied to the ECU.
I never looked at the expected life on a 1.9 / 2.0 version.
Just as another thing on the 1.6 - the rear wheel bearings are shot and they also have a life on them of around 125k and unlike other cars these are not cheap to replace either. Dont get me started on the rubbish paint finish on standard white paint either.
My verdict overall is that 1.6 represents poor value for money and the second hand prices asked are over inflated currently.
My van cost over 6k and when you add the extras replaced it adds up to a lot more. Including AA repair and garage which I would say is a must to mitigate some costs you WILL face.
Hope this helps

Andy
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

If you carry spare injectors on the van remember they need coding in so you may still need a breakdown service to get you home.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
DW2207
Hyper Poster

Post by DW2207 »

I always carry my obdeleven for the reason, helped me out a few times in the past with my other caddy and mates cars.

philandthegang
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by philandthegang »

I have read pre 2013 had different injectors and was upgraded to a better one after that.... dont get too fussed up mind because there are lots of variables....bear in mind the 1.6tdi engine isn't just used in caddy......golfs, touran, skoda,audi blah blah have all used it and if they constantly broke you would see all these at the roadside awaiting recovery.
Couple that with...has the engine been looked after during its life with correct service intervals,correct oils ,ran on decent fuels blah blah, even being remapped...has it been ragged by people who thinks its now a gti....all these can be contributing factors to why injectors have gone bad.
Bear in mind to read 10 posts about bad injectors means there are thousands running without problems because they never need to tell you

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

@dw2207

With your obd eleven what can you read on the injectors? Not sure if I’m being paranoid with having the 1.6 or not but I’ve got oil pooling around 3 and 4
DW2207
Hyper Poster

Post by DW2207 »

Hi Jono1, that pooling around the injectors doesn't sound good mate and could be failed seals.
With regard to obdeleven I'm able to access the injectors with the original coding that's stamped on the top of them to see if that is the correct one coded to the ecu. I believe this is in the live data on the engine module screen.
Its a very straightforward job to code them, once you click on what new injector needs coding you get the login pin for the vans module, type in new code remember to add a 0 at the end and viola all done.
Van is a 1.6 variant.
Hope this helps

Handyandy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Handyandy »

The pooling around your injectors 3&4 could be the diesel return pipes they push into the injectors with an o ring and are then clipped in it could be the o ring has failed or it's not seated right
Beluga blue caddy remapped to 145ish side window and bonnet deflector lowered and 18" calibre rims on 225/40/18
Sean1066
Hyper Poster

Post by Sean1066 »

I have an ex BG caddy 2011 it did have a 1.6 tdi engine in when I bought it I’ve had it 4 years now and in the first 3 years I only had one injector go and I put a lot of stress on the engine.
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=36851
LeeH
200BHP+

Post by LeeH »

Still on the original injections at 99,600.

Fingers crossed, no issues yet.
2011 2.0 GT Bluemotion Tech DSG in Candy White
2012 1.6 Highline Bluemotion Tech Caddy in Indium Grey
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

I’m assuming 3 of mine have been replaced previous to my ownership. Only 1 has the long part number ? Vans on about 62k, I’ve put about 8k miles on it since I bought it.

I will try and get some pictures of the oil around the injectors when I’m home in the day light.

Bloody dark nights are a nightmare
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

Excuse the poor light, it’s the earliest I’ve been home to take a picture

Basically that’s what’s going on around my injectors.

Any ideas if this will just be a case of injector seals?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk