1.6 TDI VDO Injector failure root cause analysis

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

1.6 TDI VDO Injector failure root cause analysis

Post by BenT »

Hope this might be of use to someone and that I've posted in the right place!

This refers to the 03L130277B injectors fitted to the above CAY code engines. I decided a few weeks ago to disassemble a faulty injector to try to get to the root cause of why it failed, hoping that there might be some indication of something we can do to prevent it! This is a long read, but I've put in plenty of pictures :D

VAG's own SSPs 351 and 442 detail how these "piezo" injectors work and are worth a read. I won't repeat it all here, for brevity. The actuator element in these injectors comprise of a stack of piezoelectric material sheets, with alternating positive and negative electrode plates between them. The positive sheets are connected by a common terminal, as are the negative ones. Applying a voltage of ~150 Volts causes a minute expansion of the stack, which actuates the injector.

As the piezoelectric material is a good insulator, one might expect a very high resistance across the injector terminals (or probably a detected open circuit). On failure, my injector at least showed only a few Ohms.

This is the suspect in question...

Slicing the plastic top of the injector revealed a resistor in parallel with the two electrodes going to the piezo stack:

According to the colour bands, this resistor should (I think) have 200 k Ohms across it. Nope! Just 2 or 3. As it's in parallel with the piezo actuator, either one could be responsible.

Next, off came the piezo actuator assembly from the injector body:

That circlip was a nightmare to get off... Next, I softened the plastic piezo actuator cap with heat and gingerly removed it:

I say gently... the copper electrodes in the plastic head separated from the terminals in the above very easily. Measuring the resistance across the terminals again showed only a few Ohms. The next part got a little rough - removing the top of the capsule:

And, several hacksaw blades later, here we have it! Not what I expected at all. There was no sign of any contamination in the "capsule" whatsoever, no soot, fuel, moisture, nothing. Clean and dry. No glass fibre insulation, just the piezo stack elegantly encapsulated in silicone rubber. Again, the resistance between the terminals was low.

The only other visible oddity was this black dot towards the top of the stack (I had to peel some of the silicone away to make it more visible). It appeared to have originated from the stack and worked its way into the silicone. Again, was it like this from the factory, or is this where the short point is?

It turns out that this was actually where the fault was! I wanted to dissolve away the silicone somehow to avoid damaging the stack, but this was impossible so I had to peel it away. This resulted in the following:

I'd thought that the wires were electrode plates intersecting the stack, but I was wrong! Next I removed more silicone and the plastic casing to yield the following:

I cut away the electrodes (the stack was still showing as a closed circuit with very low resistance at this point) and then applied slight force to the stack, which dutifully split in half:

The section on the right seemed to be an open circuit, but the one on the left was the culprit! In fact, the black dot is visible just over halfway along the stack, where the wires go in. I split the stack apart there to yield the following:

Bingo. The "good" section of the stack did not have any of this nasty discolouration. The photos are terrible (sorry), but on close inspection, this dark mark actually resembles a fractal pattern, almost like a lightning fork. In total, the stack consisted of 20 of these individual wafers. Around 4 of these had the black discolouration, and were all near the top of the stack and only at the one electrode. The discolouration originates from the barely visible dark "arc" in each corner of the wafers, presumably where the electrode backbone connects to the electrode plates.

The two on the right were an open circuit as tested with my multimeter, but the darkened one on the left was shorted out (even before I deliberately cracked it!).

This is where it gets more interesting. I fractured one of the good wafers to have a look inside. It seemed darker on the inside than outside, so I put it under a microscope (only 20 x magnification, unfortunately). This is the view from above; notice the dark band in the corner. All of the wafers, good and bad, exhibited this. This is also where the darkening appears to originate on the dodgy ones.

This is a side-view showing what's inside the wafer. I was expecting it to be a solid sheet of piezoelectric crystal...

If you look VERY closely, you can see a tan-coloured uppermost and bottom layer. Between these are around 15 layers, with very thin and shiny metallic layers separating them (these are the electrode plates, I think). That means, with 20 wafers per stack and 15 layers per wafer, we actually have 300 individual layers of piezoelectric material in each injector! Now for the very fun part - dissection of one of the darkened regions:

To me, it looks dark, bubbly and rather igneous throughout. With each layer having opposing voltage electrode plates above/below, any damage to a layer could result in the plates forming an electrical connection, shorting out the stack. This is a magnified view of a darkened patch as viewed from above:

The dark material has broken through the surface of the ceramic upper insulating layer and some topology is clearly visible too.

This begs a few questions at this point: what is the dark material, and what caused it to form? Did it all appear all at once, or did it spread over time? Is it the result of mechanical damage to the stack, or is it the result of electrically inflicted damage? On closer inspection, the dark mark (sorry Harry Potter fans...) appeared to be the same material as the electrode backbone, i.e. a kind of solder.

This is what I think might have happened: The damage occurred near to the top of the stack, where the electrical current and voltage should be at their strongest. It appears as though the material has become VERY hot and that the metal electrode material has melted and permeated the stack.

A few more observations: here in the UK, VW allegedly gave a two year extended warranty on the injectors and EGR valves after applying the emissions fix. VW admit on their dedicated webpage that EGR levels are increased as part of the fix and the injection cycle is modified. More EGR means more soot, so more frequent DPF regenerations. As far as the injection cycle is concerned, this appears to mean cancelling the pre-injection on high engine loads in fourth and fifth gear (which really does make an appalling racket).

Curiously, Renault/Nissan use similar injectors, also from Siemens, on some of their Diesel engines, seemingly with low failure rates. Even more curiously, independent tests have shown high NOx from these engines and infrequent DPF regenerations (I'm happy to substantiate this if asked...).

Could it be that extended regeneration attempts, with the required rapid injector cycling, may cause the stack to overheat, thus leading to electrode melting and stack cracking? If so, it might be possible to reduce the likelihood of failure by keeping the amount of time regenerating to a minimum. Easy enough out of town, but this might not be an option for all.

That's it for now, thanks for reading :)
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: 1.6 TDI VDO Injector failure root cause analysis

Post by Giddy »

Strong first post :)
p.s. if I see colours right, the resistor value is 10 ohms +/- 5% (brown, black, black, gold?)
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Truly awesome break down of the failure and interested route cause analysis.
The injectors are for sure shared with other manufacturers, the issue is the calibration data is not the same across the range and therefore fitting a TDCI injector will give rough running unless you can interpret and convert the calibration code for the VW ECU. I've seen some Caddys with TDCI (FoMoCo) injectors, none ran any way smoothly but they ran and got the owners around without problems.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Great Post, thanks for sharing. Now where do we go from here is the next thing.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
BenT
100BHP+

Post by BenT »

Giddy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:49 pm Strong first post :)
p.s. if I see colours right, the resistor value is 10 ohms +/- 5% (brown, black, black, gold?)
Thanks! You may well be correct, I had to do a Google of reading the colour bands and may have got it the wrong way around. I'm not sure what the resistor does - it might even be the cause of the failure!
BenT
100BHP+

Post by BenT »

Doc wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:50 am Truly awesome break down of the failure and interested route cause analysis.
The injectors are for sure shared with other manufacturers, the issue is the calibration data is not the same across the range and therefore fitting a TDCI injector will give rough running unless you can interpret and convert the calibration code for the VW ECU. I've seen some Caddys with TDCI (FoMoCo) injectors, none ran any way smoothly but they ran and got the owners around without problems.
Thanks for this! I had hoped it would be possible to sneak the piezo actuator off another Siemens injector (the Renault ones are VERY cheap, relatively speaking!), but there we go! I'd assumed that Siemens might have used the same actuators across all of their range, just with body and nozzle differences for different manufacturers. Maybe if their piezo stacks are different this would explain why they don't fail as often as the VAG ones.
Handyandy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Handyandy »

That's one hell of an insight into the workings of an injector as scoob said where do we go from here as they are still breaking down and causing the motorists one big headache with repair costs 😕
Beluga blue caddy remapped to 145ish side window and bonnet deflector lowered and 18" calibre rims on 225/40/18
Killomiter
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Killomiter »

So then, in our case what you are saying is that the cause on this model is more to do with the addition stress on the electronics of the injector. Made by the additional changes by VW to compensate for the emissions? Hence why this failure is limited to the 1.6 TDI and not other manufacturers who incorporate the same injector system.
Giddy
Hyper Poster

Post by Giddy »

BenT wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:25 am ....I'm not sure what the resistor does - it might even be the cause of the failure!
Difficult to tell without seeing ECU end of circuit, but I think it could be to discharge the piezo stack and make it ready for the next pulse. Because piezo's by nature are mole like capacitors. When you have loads of them in parallel, the capacitance adds up to a significant amount.
Also it gives a measurable value to ECU, so it knows injector is connected (otherwise it would be an open circuit). I would thought the failed resistor should give an 'open circuit' fault during the scan.
BenT
100BHP+

Post by BenT »

Thanks for all of the comments! I thought I'd put a single reply in rather than addressing them individually...

First off, I think these were failing before the emissions fix was rolled out in 2016. I'm just guessing that, with VAG apparently extending the injector warranty after the fix has been applied, that there might be an increased failure rate after the fix - it would be interesting to see the statistics on this. Not something any of us are likely to be able to get our hands on!

And no, the upshot of all of this is that it's still an expensive job to replace these if they fail and it's still not clear if they fail due to overheating or due to the crystal stack cracking, leading to shorting and overheating. A chicken and egg situation maybe. Or it might be something else entirely!

The only thing I could rule out is fuel contamination. There was no sign of any fuel or moisture inside the capsule housing the piezo stack, so this shouldn't be a direct problem.

For what it's worth, and this might just be pot luck, my injectors have lasted 150,000 miles so far, but I think my van probably spent most of its life on motorways before I had it (easy DPF regeneration?). And I've only driven 10k in it, so it's no achievement on my part!

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's had this failure - did it happen during regeneration, or at another time...
BenT
100BHP+

Post by BenT »

@Giddy
That's interesting food for thought! I suppose if the stack acts like a capacitor, then it'll have to dump out the charge at the end of the injection period, maybe through that resistor. If the resistor failed somehow and the charge couldn't be released, might this cause the overheating observed in the pictures? I'd really like to take one of the replacement 03L130277S injectors apart to see what the change is. A tad expensive though for the sake of idle curiosity!
Last edited by Giddy on Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
Giddy
Hyper Poster

Post by Giddy »

In terms of function, piezo stack doesn't work like a capacitor, but more like a fast solenoid. Capacitance is kind of parasitic side effect, when having so many of them in parallel. I guess resistor may reduce hysteresis and allows injector to change the state faster. But again, it's just a small piece of entire circuit and I have never looked into it and may be wrong.

In terms of failed resistor, did yours fail or was intact. If you still have it, you may be able to measure it. Also, if you did a fault scan, what sort of fault the ECU was giving? This may give something more to think about.
BenT
100BHP+

Post by BenT »

Thanks Giddy, the resistor is indeed intact and had the same resistance as a known good injector, plus all four of those currently in my van. Unfortunately, my multimeter is temperamental so couldn't get an actual reading! All I know is that, at any moment in time, all 5 good injectors and the resistor from the disassembled one were showing the same, +- 10 k Ohms. I sadly don't know the fault code. Here's a link to an article for anyone feeling geeky:

http://www.combustion-engines.eu/Method ... 6,0,2.html

Apparently, micro cracks can form in the stack causing some short circuiting. Maybe we're all doomed after all :(
OLS84
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by OLS84 »

Literally experienced my first injector failure today after only
Owning my caddy for a few weeks. It’s got the newer S injector fitted but second time it’s failed in 10k. I did wonder if it was a spike in voltage that would cause it to fail…very interesting read
BenT
100BHP+

Post by BenT »

Sorry to hear about that :( Did you manage to get it fixed? If you don't mind me asking, when you say it's failed twice in 10k miles, do you mean that two injectors have failed in the same location? I'd wondered about voltage spikes, especially since mine makes a hideous crackling sound when I rev it in neutral. It sounds almost like the injectors are firing too early in the cycle.