Post by hef355 »

Thank you mate! Wingbacks just bolt in on touran bases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hef355
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Wingback Gti's, R32 then upgraded R36 power and 4 motion for my pure grey

Post by hef355 »

N3DXT wrote:stunning looking van, love that you took it to the next level by sticking in the R36 lump.

(sorry if you've already answered these), how do you find the weight on the front end with the V6 in? Was it always going to be a 4 motion project or did you consider running it FWD only?

Cheers
Thanks mate, van handles like a dream !!secret is set your suspension up to accommodate the weight/balance which is spot on imo with KW and stiffer springs Image

Last edited by hef355 on Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BradleyB
Twin Turbo poster

Re: Wingback Gti's, R32 then upgraded R36 power and 4 motion for my pure grey

Post by BradleyB »

@Heff just see the you tube clip of the van

Omg what a beast

NikMoq
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by NikMoq »

I read this magazine to the end: D Awesome caddy!
Caddy 2020 2.0tdi 4motion
hef355
Hyper Poster

Post by hef355 »

@BradleyB
@NikMoq

Thanks guys there are a couple more launch videos with the new RS3 system and 4 motion on my instagram too if you fancy a look @caddyr36

Dom679
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dom679 »

@hef355

Just read through this and the fab work is incredible!

The sound is something else... I now have an issue with my original thought of doing a TFSI project, I might have to consider the R32 option...

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

hef355
Hyper Poster

Post by hef355 »

@Dom679

Thank you mate for taking the time to read my garbled ramblings, not the best written or titled thread but hope you got the gist of it lol

... the van is looking a bit like me these days, old a rough around the edges, but after all, i’ve built it to enjoy it and as a daily and I have to say that the sound still makes me smile daily!

I’m looking into supercharging the engine some time this or next year and a possible home made fabricated Quattro steel wide boy arch conversion; hence, why im not concentrating on the small daily used chips & marks the van is currently and rapidly collecting!

I’ve been a little distracted during lockdown and bought a couple of mk1 golf and Caddy projects so going to try finishing them first. Oh yes, and one Caddy mk1 that ive just painted in Manilla green wil have a, you guessed it, V6 in lol from a Porsche Cayenne which will use up all the tiny mk1 bay up! Yes here we go again! But just cant help this addiction to the VR6 soundtrack

Yes it’s an old engine design by todays standards but nothing in my view sounds quite like it ... so sorry if i’ve diverted you from your TFSI dream as that’s a cracking engine too and very tuneable, but the sound doesn’t just doesn’t hit that button for me and like @Doc always says ... “there’s no replacement for displacement” love that

I’m sure you’ll make the right decision for you but the main things here is ... petrol! A petrol van is the way to go and the dsg suits it so well too!

Thanks for your comments and always here to help if I can, Hef

Dom679
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dom679 »

@hef355

I have always loved the old VR engines, I once has a MK2 Jetta with a VR in it, I was young and realised that I would kill myself off if I kept it so sold it before I destroyed it! Always said I would get a MK2 Golf VR again but the realistic side of me says that I ought to have something a little more practical now I have a family so the Caddy sort of ticks all the right boxes...

That saying is one that I have always loved, not sure where I heard it first but I have always remembered it! And yes petrol is the main thing! I have my reservations on the DSG as I had a MK6 R with DSG at the same time as the daily MK5 GTI and I found the DSG took the driving edge away from it, ended up enjoying the GTI more on the twisties even though it was half the power of the R!

I'm really looking forward to getting into a project but sadly the last year has hit me hard with ill health and time off work etc so will be a while before I can get a base Van and make a start! But I'm sure I will be asking for advice along the way!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

hef355
Hyper Poster

Post by hef355 »

@N3DXT

Sorry mate just realised I didn’t answer your question fully! Re the 4WD. Yes, I had always had this thought in mind if going big power, as power goes hand in hand with traction and stopping power. I did however run both 32 and 36 units in fwd for a while which was ok in 32 but when introducing and extra 50bhp and more, fwd struggled and was useless in the wet. The benefit also from introducing 4WD was the added bonus of scrapping the rear leaf set up which always restricted what you could achieve in terms of suspension tuning and handling.

Now it has independent suspension all round and a rigid rear drive train it handles like an RS car and it just transform the van! Yes, granted it’s a lot of work but well worth it and i’d personally only consider the way mine has been done as the original floor has been retained and the integrity of the van has not been compromised. Some have cut the whole floor sections out of cars and cut the whole floor out and welded the new floor section in. I’m not a fan of this cut and shut method and rather prefer my OEM route

Last edited by hef355 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hef355
Hyper Poster

Post by hef355 »

@Nath&Alex

Thanks for your kind words mate! Oh the polo gti is a great car too and had an early polo many years ago!

Hope you get to scratch your Caddy itch very soon and the EA888 and DSG combo is just awesome and been done to awesome standards as you probably know on this fine forum! The 4WD is a lot of work and I owe a debt of gratitude to this forum and my mate who is a VW master tech for managing to complete this. If I can help just ask, so long as its not wiring lol

@Jackhurly

Cheers mate yes, the set is OEMS ifgtr 20” wheels and the staggered set is 10” rears and fronts 8.5” both ET45 offset.

However, since going 4WD the rear axle is wider but approx 20mm each side so not possible at mo to fit the wide rears so now its 8.5” all round ... but, I do have plans to get the wide rears back on sone time with a Quattro style wide boy conversion lol

hef355
Hyper Poster

Post by hef355 »

@Dom679

Thanks for your message buddy and sorry to hear of your ill health. This last year hasn’t been great for me either, and many others too I’m sure ... not me personally but close family! There’s certainly no price to place on health and happiness that’s for sure! Hope you get back on your feet soon buddy and always here to help with any advice if I can

Dislexicdonkey
200BHP+

Post by Dislexicdonkey »

😳 just spent the last half hour reading this build! And all I can say is wow. Hats off to you dude, the time effort and money to the side, the fabrication determination and will to keep going is awesome dude. Love the van and all the little touches that often get overlooked.
hef355
Hyper Poster

Post by hef355 »

@Dislexicdonkey

Ah thanks for taking the time to read through my ramblings buddy! Thankfully hasn’t cost the earth as done most of it myself with the help of good friends. Still a long way to go but i’m in no rush as i’ve built it to enjoy and its my daily! Thanks again buddy

Imprintx
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Imprintx »

Just read your whole thread hef, absolutely awe inspiring build!!!
hef355
Hyper Poster

Post by hef355 »

Ahhh thank you so much my friend for taking the time to read my garbled thread. Hope it was of some use to you buddy