Horace's Caddy

Show off your caddy
Cammy
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: Horace's Caddy

Post by Cammy »

Thank you - might be a mod i may do, was gona give the interior mods a miss til next year but these look too good!
crashnstick
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by crashnstick »

horace01 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:10 pm Sorry for the delay I have been away in Tonga kitesurfing for the last couple of weeks.

I have checked all my Aliexpress links and they all say the product is nolnger available.
Ok mate, thanks for having a look for me.
Spiff
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Spiff »

nice car you got there, i love that color!
dont think i have seen anyone with that color b4!
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Just under 3 months later and my mechanics insurance company have finally agreed to pay for the re-spray I need since my van was scratched to F**k.

Van goes in on Monday for a new coat of paint. Heres hoping the painter manages to get the colour mix right.....
2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brooneye
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by brooneye »

That's took a while, I thought it was the car wash that scratched the paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

It was but they refused to take any responsability so my mechanic put it through on his insurance. I believe the insurance company are now going after the car wash to reclaim the money.
2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Van is back from the painters. There are a couple of issues with the paint. Paint nibs and rotary polishing holograms mostly. Although I could take it back and get these sorted, I think it will just be easier to fix it myself. The whole van is due a proper polish anyway so I'll hit the whole thing with the duel action polisher, some Scholle S20 Black polish on Lake Country CCS pads. Orange for the cut and polish, Black for buff and shineImage

I will give the paint nibs a wetsand prior to polishing.

In regard to the colour of the paint:- it's pretty consistent with the OEM colour (Lambada Grun) but as expected there is a slight difference. As the back and front ends where repainted a couple of years ago, they too are a slight variation of the OEM colour.

Consequently my van is now 3 different shades. Most noticeable is the rear bar. I had this repainted whilst the were doing the front one anyway. To my eye the colour variation between my barn doors and the bumper is quite wide. To my eye it spoils the overall look of the rear end.

The best way to fix all of this is of course to paint the whole van. I cannot see myself paying for that any time soon....
Anyway here are some photos. As mentioned above the van still needs a polish.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

tommyzooom
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by tommyzooom »

Paint looks fine to me, Love the plate too :D
My Website
My Instagram

""Don't want to meet your daddy, just want you in my Caddy"" André 3000 (2003) ;)
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

So on the weekend when I was taking the photos in the post above I noticed some weird spots and streaks on the panel behind the drivers door. I thought they may be polishing marks.

I had to go see the painter today to pay him and pointed them out. He took one look turned to me and said "I'm going to have to repaint the van"!!

He thinks it's contamination from the tack rag that was used on the colour coat before the clear coat was applied. He was very apologetic and said if he had noticed it he would never have let the van out of the shop without repainting it.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Celticrsmith »

Atleast he took responsibility and never shook it off as 'not his problems' etc. It's a lovely caddy btw, just a hassle having to get it redone
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Got a call from the painter yesterday telling me the van was going to be ready to collect today. Awesome.

Got a call from him this morning. "Sorry Scott I've taken it out into the sunlight and I'm not happy with the colour match. I'm going to have to repaint the whole side of the van again. This time including the door."

Words cannot express how pissed off I am now.

When the van was initially quoted they were going to paint the whole side of the van and the bumpers. When I collected it they hadn't painted the door but the color match was pretty good and as I had him paint the roof for me which he didn't charge for I was OK with that.

Now they have painted the side of the van again the colour match with the door is significantly off. Hence why he now wants to repaint the whole side of the van again.

The only good thing here is I'm not paying for anything.

psyone
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by psyone »

i guess its a pretty hard colour to match. tell him to just paint the whole van if he cant get it right lol
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Spent a few hours today doing little jobs around the van.

Bumper cover and lights all removed to try and line them up a bit better. The bumper cover is fitting better than it was when returned from the paint shop.

Next up was the polish removal. Loads of polish residue in most of the seams and gaps on the bumper cover.

Finally I ran a claybar over a couple of spots of overspray. The lower part of the passenger door was particularly bad.

torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by torque777 »

Wow now that is overspray

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

torque777 wrote:Wow now that is overspray

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Luckily it came off with a quick claybaring.

I need to polish the van in the next couple of weeks in preparation for the Day of the Volkswagen. I'll be claying the entire van anway.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk