biking/climbing/camping caddy

Show off your caddy
TheNorthernTrain
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: biking/climbing/camping caddy

Post by TheNorthernTrain »

Given me some right ideas there, how and where have you put the rail for the cab curtains, I've got the same ones I think but just haven't worked out where to put them.
The Beast in Blue - Caddy Maxi W.I.P
mostlysimon
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by mostlysimon »

TheNorthernTrain wrote:Given me some right ideas there, how and where have you put the rail for the cab curtains, I've got the same ones I think but just haven't worked out where to put them.
I was going to mount a beam of wood using the fixings for the bulkhead to attach it to, but I replaced the flimsy headlining with thin plywood for the lights and so I ended up just screwing it straight into it. It's more than sturdy enough as it is.
tad-blody
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by tad-blody »

Hi,
Nice work. love the cupholders.
Is the tarp specific or something you've adapted? How does it attach to the caddy?
jamesc76
Caddy Fan

Post by jamesc76 »

loving ya work, gonna do summit simmular to what you have for the bed. Does yours go all the way to the drivers side edge or is is slightly away from it ?
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

tad-blody wrote:Hi,
Nice work. love the cupholders.
Is the tarp specific or something you've adapted? How does it attach to the caddy?
The cupholder also makes a handy bedside phone holder 8)

The tarp is this one: https://www.alpkit.com/products/rig-7 and the poles are cheap ones from GoOutdoors. The only fixing point to the van is on the rear light bar with a short bit of cord, It's just got guy lines pulling down on the opposite side to keep the tension.
jamesc76 wrote:loving ya work, gonna do summit simmular to what you have for the bed. Does yours go all the way to the drivers side edge or is is slightly away from it ?
Cheers! The frame is short of the side by about 70mm and I tried to get the ply top as 'shaped' as possible to maximise space. The only minor issue with the bed is that I like to have my seat quite far back when driving, which limited the length of the bed. However, I just made the bed foam on the passenger side overhang by a few inches and my vertically challenged missus sleeps on the short side!
jamesc76
Caddy Fan

Post by jamesc76 »

cheers for the reply,will have to do some measuring! is the bed the same lenght as the floor upto the back of the seats ?
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

jamesc76 wrote:cheers for the reply,will have to do some measuring! is the bed the same lenght as the floor upto the back of the seats ?
No problem. I erred on the side of caution and made the frame a bit small, knowing that the ply top could overhang the frame and account for any miscalculations or oversights. I'll pm you the link to the drawings that I sent to the fabrication company to give you an idea of the dimensions.
tad-blody
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by tad-blody »

Thanks for the link will have to send for one.
jamesc76
Caddy Fan

Post by jamesc76 »

cheers for the drop box link to the plans looks really good
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Hi.

This is looking really good. I am very interested in your plans for the bed. Would you mind sharing with me too.

Great idea using the electric knife. In the past I've used a hot knife but the fumes are pretty toxic.
2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

No problem. The electric knife gives really clean cuts with minimal mess if you're patient with it, well worth the tenner!
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Thanks for the plans.
2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CallumD
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CallumD »

Loving your camper bed solution! :D
MMM1978
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by MMM1978 »

Hi mate, any chance I could see the plans for this bed please? I'm just about to look In to something similar, but thinking a wooden frame at present.

mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

Yeah no bother, I'll pm you the link when I get a moment to dig it out