Maxi Life camper conversion on a budget

Show off your caddy
K100HFC
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Maxi Life camper conversion on a budget

Post by K100HFC »

After several months of umming and ahhing about what to do and how to do it, back in March I finally decided what I wanted to do to the Maxi. The main issue was that I still need to use 5 seats so as much as possible would need to be fitted behind the second row.
Once I'd decided which cooker and cooler/fridge to use, I could start with designing the box around them.
One side is fridge and electrics back to back, the other is the cooker and storage, with a through run for the awning/gazebo in the middle. The fridge and cooker both come out of the back door on runners.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Last edited by K100HFC on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, Dan
Red Caddy Maxi Life 1.6l
K100HFC
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Maxi Life day van conversion

Post by K100HFC »

The curtains are Van X blackouts, black outside and grey inside. These and the fire extinguisher are the only two permanent mods to the van at the minute, in that they are screwed in. With the screen cover over the front three windows, they really don't let much light in or out. In hindsight, I could have moved the upper rail on the rear quarters a little to tighten it up, but I'm happy at the moment.ImageImage

Regards, Dan
Red Caddy Maxi Life 1.6l
K100HFC
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by K100HFC »

Onto the electrics and most of it was spec'd around the fridge power consumption.
The fridge is a Waeco CDF16, looking online and speaking to a caravan electrician friend, we decided on a 105Ah leisure battery, charged from a 100w solar panel on the roof.
As I tend to disappear off to airshows and the like with a camera, laptop, etc, I decided to go with 6 outlets from the battery. 2 double USB, and 4 12v AUX sockets, including one from the fridge and one for power into the awning.
The doubles you see in the photo are 1 aux and 1 double USB each, with each of the 6 outlets switched from inside the van, behind the seat. ImageImage

Regards, Dan
Red Caddy Maxi Life 1.6l
K100HFC
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by K100HFC »

The box itself is 1200mm long, too short for a bed, so a folding extension is in place to take it to 1800mm long, each of the three cushions is 600mm, so they are easily stored inside the garage when not in the van. I'm not a small guy, about 5'8" and about 16 stone. The cushions are sturdy enough that my behind is still off the floor when in bed. Even with the total height of it all, there is still plenty of head room, although I can't quite sit up in bed.... ummm... :/
Saying that though, I'm taking this as a considerable upgrade from my tiny 2man tent, so I'm happy with it.
My target was to be ready for the Royal International Air Tattoo, two weeks ago and I was working to finish her right up to the evening before my departure to the show. Sadly, I couldn't get the painting finished before I left, or the carpeting of the box top. Oh well, it would have to wait till I got home.ImageImageImage

Regards, Dan
Red Caddy Maxi Life 1.6l
K100HFC
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by K100HFC »

I've still got a few photos to get done to show where the project is right now. The box top is now carpeted, solar panel on the roof, and the box is all painted is colour matched interior grey ( I must admit the face of the girl in B&Q was good when I walked in with a piece of the van to match). It's a good thing I used to work with her, she already knows I'm nuts!

The awning is a Khyam tailgate awning. Perfect for me as the tailgate rises into the awning skirt, leaving the full 2mx2m tent to relax in. It's up in a couple of minutes and was down quicker than my mates pop up tent.

My next project is lighting. I'm not sure the best way to go. At the minute I'm using cabinet lights, rechargable battery powered strip lights in the nets inside, which clip onto the tailgate via the attached magnets.

ImageImage

Regards, Dan
Red Caddy Maxi Life 1.6l
Yamboy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: Maxi Life camper / day van conversion

Post by Yamboy »

Looks great, top work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DIKKIES
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: Maxi Life camper conversion on a budget

Post by DIKKIES »

Your Caddy looks awesome

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L01 using Tapatalk

K100HFC
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by K100HFC »

Thanks, yamboy. It's a start at least. There's still loads of bits I want to sort in there, once the bank manager allows... ;)

Dan
Regards, Dan
Red Caddy Maxi Life 1.6l
Philt32
100BHP+

Post by Philt32 »

Fantastic it's nice to have something left to do, so you can go and sit in it and contemplate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K100HFC
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by K100HFC »

I think I'm going to be spending the weekend walking around the VW show at Eastnor, trying not to buy too much. But to be honest, I think it's mainly drawer catches and lights to get somewhere near where I want

Regards, Dan
Red Caddy Maxi Life 1.6l
henrycaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by henrycaddy »

How long will the fridge run for before the leisure battery is flat if you're not moving? Does it keep items cool at sub 4 degrees for a while? I'm looking for a 12v to store the usual milk/cheese/ham/beers etc but while over in Europe it can get up to 30 in the van, so not sure what to go for.
K100HFC
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by K100HFC »

Henry, I'm running a 100w solar panel into the leisure battery with no connection to the vehicle electrics, so unless I'm charging lots of other things, phone, camera, running lights etc off it as well or it's really cloudy I've not had an issue with power.
I used it from the main vehicle battery before I properly fitted it and I didn't have an issue for a day or so before the fridge cut out assuming no engine running.
The waeco that I have has a voltage cut out. High, medium or low depending on battery usage . Ie you would want it on high for the starter battery, but you could drop it to low on a leisure.

Hth, Dan
Regards, Dan
Red Caddy Maxi Life 1.6l
henrycaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by henrycaddy »

K100HFC wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:25 pm Henry, I'm running a 100w solar panel into the leisure battery with no connection to the vehicle electrics, so unless I'm charging lots of other things, phone, camera, running lights etc off it as well or it's really cloudy I've not had an issue with power.
I used it from the main vehicle battery before I properly fitted it and I didn't have an issue for a day or so before the fridge cut out assuming no engine running.
The waeco that I have has a voltage cut out. High, medium or low depending on battery usage . Ie you would want it on high for the starter battery, but you could drop it to low on a leisure.

Hth, Dan
Thanks, sounds good.

When picking the fridge I notice you built the wood frame around that and the other bits, I was looking at a fridge that is around 45cm high, but testing out that size makes it seem like I wouldn't be able to sit on the bed upright without hitting my head on the ceiling. I see yours is around 26cm (or is it 37cm?), was height a factor in buying the 16l instead of something bigger? How do you get on with one that size? I am thinking I will use mine for bits like bread, beer, ham, cheese, bacon and eggs...
K100HFC
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by K100HFC »

The fridge in mine is a cdf16, I can't remember the height of the fridge, but I think it was in the region of 300-350mm. My box is 400mm high, with a 125mm mattress on the top. In hindsight, I could and should have used a thinner or softer mattress, as although it's close, I just can't sit upright. I can sit up, but bent over, the perils of ordering online I suppose.
I use mine for the same bits. There is a nice little pocket in the fridge too, just big enough for a 6 egg box, that doesnt cool to the same as the rest of the fridge. Pint bottles fit in quite nicely alongside the usual sausages, bacon, chocs, burgers etc, I don't tend to chill bread though, as I find it goes stale quicker :?
To be honest, the fridge was one of a couple I was considering, with this at the top end of the price bracket down to a small coolboxnat the other end and this came on sale on Amazon one day, quite a lot cheaper than normal, so my decision was made easier. Yes the height was a factor, in that I didn't want the box to be higher than 400mm high.
Ive just got home from Eastnor castle and for a change, I had to remember to defrost my dinner when I got back to the van. Even with the cloudy weekend, the fridge pootled along nicely all weekend, I couldn't even hear it overnight.
Regards, Dan
Red Caddy Maxi Life 1.6l
DragonWorld
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DragonWorld »

Love this thread. It's given me the confidence to purchase van-x curtains after seeing those photo's. Should be delivered in a couple of days
Black Maxi Life '14 Plate - 1.6 TDi DSG 7 Speed Auto

Build thread - https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=46585