mark1a
Hyper Poster

Re: Blackberry Life

Post by mark1a »

RKDesigns wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:06 pm Nice addition to your van Image
...from a reputable supplier!
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by SIMONSNOT »

mark1a wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:53 pm Thanks Simon - yes they are slightly smoked/subdued, but I haven't changed them, they were standard fit. I have a distant recollection that models with the OEM factory xenon headlamps also had smoked taillight clusters, although I could be wrong.
Well it’s all looking really good.

I’ve got pov spec headlights so that may be why my rears are not smoked. I was going to enquire at the dealers but I ran out of talc!
Randel_Raines
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Randel_Raines »

Stunning, as said many times before; this has to be the best colour.
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

@Randel_Raines thanks very much.
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

Post by Marcmcq90 »

mark1a wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:57 pm ....The inductive charging system is “retrofitting kit II” here:
http://inbay.systems/en/universalkits/
Looking to copy this mod as it is so neat! You say you used the ‘retrofitting kit II’ but the link takes you to ‘kit 3’... which one did you use?

Cheers!
Last edited by Giddy on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reduced the quote
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

It looks like Inbay's website has changed in the last 3 years, so the link is broken.

The link to the German retailer (2nd link) still works, and it was this exact one.
https://www.ars24.com/Zubehoer/Handy-in ... it-Pad-LWL

However you'll have to check that this retailer still ships to UK (assuming you are in the UK?), now there will be some customs process and some European companies have decided it's not worth it. There shouldn't be any duty to pay (although it's probably made in far east, rules of origin shouldn't apply as it's under £135), but you'll still have to pay UK VAT on import.

It may be worth looking for an alternative, any Qi charger should work, I think @caddyluv made one out of a USB desktop version for half the price and a bit of extra soldering, there's a thread on it in the How-To section of the forum.
Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

Post by Marcmcq90 »

Jackpot! I've found that exact one on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/INBAY%C2%AE-co ... B01M7UOC2S

Thanks for the reply!
Last edited by Giddy on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Blackberry Life

Post by the swan fiend »

Those side skirts (and indeed the whole van) look great mate, I’m thinking about fitting side bars to my maxi at some point, but seeing these has made me think again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

^^ cheers, as mentioned I'm really happy with it. Swings and roundabouts really, I put the bars on before I lowered it and it improved the looks a little, but as soon as the suspension came down, the bars were too low really and looked too aftermarket compared to the look I wanted. Bodykit parts seem a little scarcer on LWB Maxi, surprising really given the UK market for ex-gassers, all Maxi. So as soon as I saw those on Dave's from RKD, they were ordered.

Only other consideration is cost - the skirts are more expensive than bars to buy and there's the cost of paint & fitting if you can't or won't do it yourself. Bars are cheap and easy to fit. But then we're clearly not too bothered about cost as we own vehicles that have an unlimited capacity for "the next mod".

I've posted this before but it's worth another outing:

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Mines lowered, but it isn’t in any way slammed. I may have to sleep on it as I’m quite indecisive, but of course the cost is a big factor.
RKD seems to be the place for these, I met Ron at Hef fest and he is a nice guy.

Haha, yeah I’ve seen that before, it’s very true. Some lads have thrown an insane amount at theirs. I just throw a spare few quid at mine when I have it, which isn’t very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

Did my first big trip in the Caddy today in ages. It’s been sat on the drive mostly for a year. I took my son back to university in Colchester 450 mile round trip, with bike, Xbox, computers, clothes, etc and it’s a brilliant long-hauler now especially post-remap. Record time of 3-ish hours each way, averaged 56mpg. I sometimes take our Tiguan on this run (230TSI R-Line Tech) and despite all the toys like adaptive cruise, the Caddy was better today. I struggle to get 30mpg from the Tiguan, my son also admitted to “I still haven’t reconciled you selling the M2 but we couldn’t have done this trip with all this gear in that.”

Roll on end of lockdown rules with virus free travel and resuming bike trips in the Caddy.
Ripley55
Hyper Poster

Post by Ripley55 »

Hi @Mark1a
Quick question if I may ?? I hit a massive Pothole last weekend, and I'm truthfully getting a bit cheesed off with the aftermarket 19's, and wanted to gauge your thoughts,

I've seen a set of Genuine VW 8J x 18's (ET40) fitted with 245/45/18 tyres, and I'm very interested to know what you're running on your Santiago's ? your thoughts etc etc on 18's v 19's, comfort..........? we're both very similar Vans, and both have the skirts etc, so thought I'd bother you first :lol: :lol:
PS Looking at will they fit.com, I think the best tyre for them would be a 235/40/18 which is only a 0.29% variance from where I am currently ?
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

Hi @Ripley55, mine are 18" x 7J ET45 - with 225/40R18Y. I prefer the look of 19s but compromised with 18s because of the state of the roads round here, and overall comfort on a daily driver.

I think if I were you, I'd want to check the fitment of the rears, with mine as above, there's just the right amount of clearance on the rear sliding door, with those you mention with different width & offset, I'd want to be sure the rear doors won't foul on the wheels.
Ripley55
Hyper Poster

Post by Ripley55 »

Thanks Mark
Yes the roads seem to be getting worse, and to have potholes like that on the M25 is disgraceful.

Anyway mate appreciate the response, I'm definitely looking at going down the 18" Genuine OEM route, I've been telling myself I 'need' a set of 19" Vossen's but I need to grow up and think about comfort, and all those good things :D I'm lucky I guess in respect that mine's not my daily, as I swap about with my Golf, her Golf and the Caddy, in fact I'm such a tart, I gave the Caddy a really good clean on Sunday, and put her in the garage and I'm using the Golf this week.

I'm currently on 8.5J x 19's ET45 https://www.autoalloys.com/19-lmr-zeus- ... loy-wheels as you know, with 235/35/19's on. I've had another look at willtheyfit.com, and If I go to 8J x 18 ET40 running 235/40/18's It says

Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 11.4mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 1.3mm less than before.

So looking at it, I think I'd be OK with the ET40, I'm also looking at some 18 x 8J OEM's that are ET45, and they still look to work, so it's just a matter of deciding what style to go for :?
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
Jmcaddy86
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Jmcaddy86 »

Hi Mark, John here who bought your dads van. Thank you for the wheels, that was very kind. I will be looking to refurb them soon and get them fitted once the roads have been finished around my house.

I read your build thread. What a lovely van! I’ve already taken inspiration and got the engine cover fitted as it was cheap, quick and easy!

Could you let me know which wind deflectors you thought were best? And do you know of any way of blanking off the seat fittings for when the seats are removed? I know you can get rubber bungs for T5’s etc but can’t find anything for caddy’s?!

Thanks again, John

(Posted here as I wasn’t sure I posted in the correct place earlier!)