My ex British Gas conversion

Show off your caddy
kneecap
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: My ex British Gas conversion

Post by kneecap »

@robblowen cheers for that. It seemed easy but imagined a bloody mess! Followed your build as you had done the same as me and then you started all the electrical stuff, split charger , VCDS tweaking etc that I was put off through inexperience. My 1.9 is knocking on £206k so thinking of selling and doing the same again, however tempted by the ease of buying a maxi life and tweaking a lil less.Prices are crazy though compared with a few years ago for maxi vans and lifes.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by robblowen »

Little headlight upgrade to get rid of the standard yellow candles. I've just fitted standard halogen and 1157 bulbs to avoid the dash warning. They're are around 5000k each so a pretty close match and alot better than before. It'll tide me over until I decide what permanent upgrade to go for?ImageImageImage

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Also stripped out all the light grey plastics from the can this morning, washed them all down and sprayed them darker. I'm not sure if it's as dark as I want them yet, I'll wait and see once they're back in the van. Definitely an improvement either way.ImageImage

charlie-
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by charlie- »

I like those sprayed trim panels! What sort of paint did you use?
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Cheers man, I picked up some grey vinyl paint from halfords, it was reduced to £5 a can and is specifically for interior plastics and bumpers, it says it soaks into the plastic so hopefully it will be quite hard wearing! We shall see?

Ripley55
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Ripley55 »

What’s the colour match like to the existing plastics @robblowen ? Parts look Bob on mate 👍
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Cheers @Ripley55 I've not had them in against the bottom half yet, I tested some on white paper first and it was pretty close, it looks a little bit lighter on the plastic but it was in bright sun, so hopefully it's still pretty close when I fit them. I'll put some more photos up when they're back in, possibly tomorrow before work.

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Parcel turned up this morning, Audi Q7 door handles fresh from Ebay with the door handle illumination still attached! Not bad at £18 for the pair! There are plenty on there if anyone else is interested, you have to hunt for a bargain though and double check the pictures to make sure they're still there! Just need to look at wiring now!ImageImage

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Got my resprayed trim refitted this morning, not sure I'm 100% with it, but it is a definite improvement and fits in with the darker trim and dyed headlining a lot better than the original light grey!ImageImageImage

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

The trim looks great in the photos, what are you not happy about?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Ripley55
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Ripley55 »

Looking really good @robblowen 👍 are you thinking a shade darker ? 🤔😃
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

@Doc @Ripley55 cheers guys, it's not quite as dark as expected but I do like it. It's more the fact I don't think it's going to be very hard wearing, I thought about plastic priming it first but the vinyl paint I bought said no other prep was needed because the paint soaks into the top layer of pigment within the plastic, causing a permanent colour change. But where I've had a little scratch on bits that are out of sight, it scratches off as if it's just sat on top. I'm happy with the look, so I'm planning on leaving it, if it lasts then alls good, if starts to get scratched and ratty then I'll change it for something stronger.

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Heated fan type washer jets plumbed/wired in this afternoon, in between blizzards and with zero feeling on my fingers! But it's worth it, I think! Managed to fix the loom inside some existing conduit and retaped it all back up. Earthed under the near side headlight and a 5 amp fuse into position 31 in the cabin fusebox, which I think is the original position for heated washer jets.ImageImageImageImageImage

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Some progress in the back as well, finally carpeted the wheel arch boxes, ran out of glue so couldn't carpet the near side lid, over the battery. That will have wait for now! Ignore the state of the floor, had to do a tip run the other day and havent had a chance to clean up!!!ImageImageImageImage

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Reverse camera fitted and wired up today, theres so much contrasting information about fitting them to RNS 510 head units, I'd bought a cheap licence bulb camera from ebay before I'd chosen a RNS 510, so decided to persevere. Bought a cvbs to RGBS conversion kit off of ebay, wired it up as per the sellers instructions except instead of breaking into the reverse lights for a signal wire I just used an ignition live off the fuse box with a 5 amp fuse, I connected all 3 positive connections to this. The RNS 510 knows when you're in reverse due through the canbus system, it sends a signal down the loom to the camera, everything works as it should! Also had to chang a bit of coding on the head unit so it changes to camera view automatically when put in reverse and shows the parking sensor screen at the side of the camera view.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage