Spud's Caddy Maxi build thread

Show off your caddy
CaddyTeam1
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Spud's Caddy Maxi build thread

Post by CaddyTeam1 »

Everyone has to start somewhere I guess... this will be the start of my build thread to the Caddy Maxi.

I have recently bought a 2.0 tdi maxi highline in white. Plenty of subtle mods and a day camper camper conversion in mind ready for a europe trip next year. Any feedback or suggestions welcome.

Where it all began..Image

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

CaddyTeam1
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Spud's Caddy Maxi build thread

Post by CaddyTeam1 »

The back initial got fully stripped out including removing the bulkhead in a hope to gain some precious leg room. All ply boarding was removed and everything cleaned down.

All in preparation for the sound deadening to begin. I chose dodo mat for the sound deadening in the 'A4' ish sheets.

I noticed when travelling with a totally empty van with no sound deadening it was very rattley and noisy.

While I was at it, I ordered the 4 way stretch carpet with a plan to cover all walls including the ceiling and flooring, so I went for 20 square metres. ImageImageImage

CaddyTeam1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CaddyTeam1 »

Got round to coming up with an idea for lighting in the back of the maxi.. some LED strip bought from screwfix.
This got mounted inside a section of aluminium U channel fixed to the van with some translucent tubing pressed into the channel just to break up the light a little.
This should spread the light enough but not be blindingly bright during the dark nights.
Personal opinion being I am pleased with how its turned out.

Currently wired to the interior lighting in the rear, so it will come on with the doors opening but the interior light can also be used independently from the main lights. ImageImage

CaddyTeam1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CaddyTeam1 »

It has come to the time to fit the coil over set up..
I went with VMaxx full kit, after reading through a lot of different options this seemed like the way forward. Keeping to a reasonable budget while keeping reliability, a friend has kept a set of these on his caddy for a number of years without issues.
Finally got round to using the through sockets I purchased several years ago... I knew there was a justification for buying them.

I have been holding off fitting my new wheelset until the coilovers have been fitted. I personally don't like the stock ride height with aftermarket wheels.
More photos to follow ImageImage

CaddyTeam1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CaddyTeam1 »

Halfway through the coil over installation and it would be rude not to try out the wheels.

19" x 8.5J ET42 all round.

Some shots of the van with wheels and coilovers fitted. I ended up winding the coilovers as far as they would go down with the rear on the lowest setting too.
Pleased with the outcome.
Only after driving a few miles, I would prefer the rear of the van to be a little stiffer. I do enjoy the comfort of it but even with a small amount of load in the rear it can catch the arches a little over bumps.

Perhaps this is down to the bumpstops being cut too much? Any suggestions are welcome to overcome this.. ImageImageImage

CaddyTeam1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CaddyTeam1 »

The old registration can ofcourse go back on. Had this reg for a number of years. You may be able to tell from the reg my name is George..

Stemming from the old PD 1.9 seat leon I used to have, loved the thing, but the amount of sumps it went through was not desirable.

Have a few more mods in mind for the van in the coming weeks. With a few already done, so I will have to take a few pictures and get them uploaded.

CaddyTeam1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CaddyTeam1 »

Finally grabbed some pictures of the interior as it stands, I have swapped out the standard seats for some golf GTD seats. Fairly grubby when I got them but some elbow grease and a vac wash has done wonders Image
Relatively straight forward to fit them, I ended up just drilling a couple of holes to enable me to bolt them onto the original caddy bases, without the bulkhead I can have the seat far enough back to fit.

Onto the heating side... I managed source a control panel out of a touran with the heated seat buttons on, £10 for a steal. Now to work out how to wire them in, any help would be appreciated. I'm unsure whether I need anything else to make this work. Image

brooneye
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by brooneye »

They look good, regarding the heated seats contact Stan the man. He makes the looms to get them working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Murkymurky
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Murkymurky »

Nice build so far mate , will be following to see your progress :D
CaddyTeam1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CaddyTeam1 »

@brooneye thanks mate, I have heard a lot of good things about Stan, hopefully he wont mind a message off me soon!

CaddyTeam1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CaddyTeam1 »

@Murkymurky thanks! I'll try and keep this updated regularly!!

M3rosco
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by M3rosco »

Nice progress so far!

I love a nice build thread! Keep up the good work!
CaddyTeam1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CaddyTeam1 »

@M3rosco I'll try and make a good go at it! I have been at it again today so some more progress pictures are pending

CaddyTeam1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CaddyTeam1 »

Another upgrade added to the van recently, side rail covers, I'm pleased with how they have turned out and in my opinion smarten the side profile of the van up a lot. Image
I would still like the bump strips painted at some point, if anyone has the part numbers for new bump strips from TPS I would be grateful.

Yvg
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Yvg »

looks clean!

if you dont mind, what rims are those ? look stunning! :o