My 1st Caddy (cheap and cheerful build)

Show off your caddy
Jdfixter
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

My 1st Caddy (cheap and cheerful build)

Post by Jdfixter » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi guys, this is my first Caddy and my first project build for a while

She is a late 2006 1.9tdi SWB with 140k on the clock, it’s been mechanically looked after in its past life but neglected visually! With no MOT I paid £600 all in!

I bought the van to use as a daily work horse, as I’m currently using a supercharged Range Rover and the fuel consumption is not ideal! I do have use of a van from the company I work for but I do sometimes need to use my own vehicle and the Range is just not practical. I also plan to use it for and to promote/expand my personal business ventures.

The idea of the build is to have this Caddy looking and driving as best as it possibly can, but by spending as little as possible in keeping with the theme of the price tag! As I believe it was probably the cheapest running caddy for sale in the uk! All labour and work will be done by me and a friend, Ive good mechanical knowledge and fabrication skills and he preps and paints supercars for a living so between us I think we have it covered. [Y]

I welcome any comments, tips or general chat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdfixter
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: My 1st Caddy (cheap and cheerful build)

Post by Jdfixter » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:05 pm

First thing on the list was to give it a clean, I didn’t take any photos before but the interior was full of mould and dirt and rubbish.

Took the seats out and cleaned them with Vinegar and a standard fabric cleaner to try and get the mould and stains out. Worked okay for now, some
Of the stains were impossible but leather seats will be going in soon so they will do!

Took all the rubber mats out of the car and jet washed them all down, used some fairy liquid and a scouring pad for the tough bits, there was multiple cups of tea and coffee spilt behind the seats and never cleaned. (Cause of the mould I guess)

Did all the interior plastics with a waterless wash solution and dashboard cleaner, removed all the centre console and cleaned on the underside too to get all the mould.

turned out alright for a 13 year old work horse
ImageImage

I then turned to the cargo area, the van was ply lined and it was in pretty good condition but the bed had a lot of oil spilt on it at some point and the smell was quite strong. Pulled up the ply from the bottom and discovered about half a bin bags worth of dirt and grime so using a crowbar, screwdriver and a dustpan and brush I scraped it all up. I’m also going to take the sides off and then clean the whole inside with a waterless was solution

The van is booked in for an MOT later today, I’ve given it a good check over and I can’t see anything obvious that it will fail on, and it runs and drives really well so hopefully it will fly strait though!

reflectionghost
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by reflectionghost » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:35 am

Great. I'm looking forward to following your build :D

Jdfixter
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jdfixter » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:56 am

Okay so it failed! :(

But only on 3 minor things, and for a grand total of £50 in parts! So that’s today’s job, new front pads, rear ARB bushes, CV boot and a number plate light. Retest is booked for Thursday.

Total cost for a 56 caddy with 140k no mechanical faults and 12 months MOT will be £670, can anyone beat that?