'Park it in a hedge' Spec Maxi

Show off your caddy
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: 'Park it in a hedge' Spec Maxi

Post by Giddy »

That pallet wood looks interesting, never seen this before.
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

I didn’t know there was a monthly limit. I obviously don’t post enough photos......which means I’m not doing enough to my van!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

Really Good work bud! Nice and individual👌
Fonzi
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Fonzi »

Really liking this.

Looking forward to seeing more
Mwcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mwcaddy »

chris577612 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:27 pm Ceiling up.. Did it in a bit of a hurry on the lawn on a very windy day! So far from perfect finish but there we go.. Should have been more careful with the spray glue as some came through.. Also worked out afterwards that as I'd made new hardboard ceiling panels I could have missed out the middle rail.. MVM ceiling fixings are very strong.. Only a couple would loosely hold even this heavy panel up..
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
What lights did you use mate? And would you recommend?
chris577612
Caddy Fan

Post by chris577612 »

@Mwcaddy the lights are same type as the link below.. Work well enough.. The light switch is a touch operated dimmer.. Its the silver and metal circle halfway up the pilar behind the drivers side sliding door.. That is the best bit of the lighting.. Bought separately to the lights themselves.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-12V-Inter ... 3301722906

Having said that I really like what some people have done with using led strips to up light near the ceiling.. Only saw pictures of that after I'd done the lighting.. Might have looked into that else..

R33DCX
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by R33DCX »

That wood looks really good! How did you secure it in place?
chris577612
Caddy Fan

Post by chris577612 »

@R33DCX cheers.. If you look at the pics on post three you can see the batons I fixed the pallet wood to. I just saw cut a notch in the ends of a batten and fitted it over the metal lip on the van. Was really quick and easy but need to be careful not to squash it in if it's to hard a fit as it might mark the outer skin. And obviously go easy when screwing to it! Well solid though and avoided any screw fixings into the van itself.

chris577612
Caddy Fan

Post by chris577612 »

So this is the bed.. Aim was to make a single bed that opens to a 190cm x 120cm double. High enough for some storage underneath but low enough that you have headroom when sat up on it.

Whole bed is made from two lengths of planed timber for front beam and internal battens and one sheet of 18mm ply cut into strips of the necessary size for all sides, trims and slats at B&Q. Then all I had to do was cut to length and assemble.ImageImageImageImageImage

chris577612
Caddy Fan

Post by chris577612 »

With the slats in place.. The batten on the floor in the third pic holds the slats together inside the bed. I did a few things to make it open and close easily; put an offcut of vinyl flooring between the sliding batten and the slats before cre fixing, chamfered the back ends of the sliding slats, made sure the first and last slats couldn't move so far forward or back that they could drop off the top of the bed frame at each end and after varnish rubbed all confact faces with candle wax.

It moves freely enough that you can open it with one hand from stood outside back or side doors. Or driving round a roundabout if the mattress isn't on it ImageImage ImageImageImageImage

Last edited by chris577612 on Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris577612
Caddy Fan

Post by chris577612 »

Added some trim to the top edged to hold the mattress. Not got the mattress properly covered yet.. That's on the list.. Used some locking clamps to tie the bed down to the existing VW tie down points.. Just visible in under the bed.. It just works after some fiddling but tbh not great. Its solid enough for now and the bed doesn't move but may have another go at that sometime. ImageImageImage

Gary.8
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Gary.8 »

Looking good .. makes it a lot better having I low bed so you can sit up in the van.
samwises
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by samwises »

Looking great. I love the maps. We plan to do the same with some old OS maps.

Did you use the original clips for the ceiling panels?

Cheers,
Sam
chris577612
Caddy Fan

Post by chris577612 »

@samwises Hello Mate, I used Mega Van Mats clips as the foam and fabric adds thickness to the ceiling panel. They are expensive but worth it because they work a treat. Very strong. If you have a maxi or kombi you might be able to get rid of the mid rail and redo the panel in one. I didn't think of it until after but the MVM clips are easily strong enough.

samwises
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by samwises »

chris577612 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:18 pm @samwises Hello Mate, I used Mega Van Mats clips
Cheers. Ordered some. Think we are going to leave it in two parts as it makes a nice devide for the maps we plan to use.