OCD Caddy Demo

Show off your caddy
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

OCD Caddy Demo

Post by matt@ocd »

Hi all!

Recently picked up an 05 Caddy C20 1.9TDI, 156k on the clock.
Doesn't appear to of been a works van through its years so it in pretty good condition. The odd dent & scuff, but best point being there's no serious rust at all, just the bottom corner of the drivers door is starting to bubble.
It has had an odd bump on the passenger front but plans are to swap out the front for 07 Touran setup 😊

I've bought this as we're planning to reinvigorate our old rear air suspension conversion. We previously worked with SRS Auto to create a rear suspension setup that allowed for both air & coil, it was a great setup, but over engineered really. Making it tricky to install, lots of parts to be produced and pretty costly.

So we're going version2, back to the drawing board from all we've learnt doing that setup, from other projects we've brought ideas from and also seeing what else is available for the Caddy's in way of air suspension.

No plans on advertising here at all, but rather just a document of the general mods we carry out and the design & testing of our new rear air kit.

The van is going to be my daily, so it's not going to be a complete one off build, however I do hope it turns out looking smart with plans I have 😊

So here's the van as we got it -

The test bed for our old rear 4 Link setup that will be the test bed for V2 as well -

Then I found a guy breaking his 07 Touran just a few days after I'd picked up the Caddy. He had everything I wanted and more already stripped from his Touran, made a deal and he kindly packed and wrapped all the parts ready for me to have collected. They arrived at our shop yesterday morning 😊 -

Thanks guys and I hope to be back soon with some updates of the Touran parts going on.

- Matt
Last edited by matt@ocd on Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: OCD Caddy Demo

Post by Giddy »

Hi Matt, sounds like an interesting project! Cant see the pictures though, perhaps some privacy settings on your google drive?
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Thanks man.

Yeah, wrote this on my phone this morning. Going to check them on computer Monday and see if I can get it working properly 👍
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Sorted the photo's out :D
Also started a blog about the build on our website too - https://www.onlychargeddubs.co.uk/blog/ ... -van-crew/

Starting on the front end conversion today & over the weekend. Will be back with progress photos...
Lamby00
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Lamby00 »

Are you putting the V2 front end on this? I wish I had the time and skills for that look forward to seeing this!
brooneye
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by brooneye »

I’ll be following this one, keep the updates coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Lamby, yeah 07 Touran front, I'm guessing that's V2?
Got most of it on today, just touching some rust up on the wings before they go on.
Also found I'd not got the panel to swap how the slam panel mounts to the top of the arches. So I might be either put on hold finishing it, or modding the Caddy part to mount up.
Likely the later as my patience isn't so good haha

Should get some more photos up on Sunday for you guys.

Thanks
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

Interesting stuff mate, will definitely be following to see how the van and rear setup develops.

2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Cheers guys.

So I made a start on the front end conversion yesterday and pretty much finished it up this afternoon.
Also the first time I'd managed to get the Caddy on a ramp, so had a quick nosey round and found a tasty looking rear silencer swap :lol:

That won't be staying for long haha

Also found drivers spring snapped, but handily found a little place to live!

On to the front end swap over, set the Caddy up & laid out the main parts of the swap.

The swap started well, the original front flew off, no nasty surprises anywhere. Found a couple of flaky spots behind the wings so rubbed those back and stuck some underseal on them to help prevent any more growth. Base of the sills where mud commonly gets stuck also solid, but cleaned these out and again slapped some underseal in there too.

Next up, we sized the slam panel on the front. The radiator & intercooler mounted straight up, I was hoping this would be the case but wasn't sure it would be.
However the issue we found is the panel at the end of the chassis where the wing mounts is different. It raises up and has the slam panel bolts on an angle. Where as the V1 front they're horizontal to each other.
I spoke with the guy I got all the parts from, unfortunately he'd already chopped his Touran in half (using the back for a trailer) and sent the front to the scrappies!!! :(
So I set about with a selection of cutting & grinding tools, making space for the slam panel to sit without any tension. 3 rivnuts set each side and the wings mounted up fully. I'll be 3D printing a set of spacers to make up the height difference in the OG chassis ends & the new slam panel. These will just support it properly with some new bolts in place :)

Lots of on & off with the slam panel, slight cuts & changes to the chassis ends to get it sitting well. Then the same testing the headlights, until they mounted with out obstruction.

I then flat back cut edges to smooth them, cleaned them up and painted in Por15 to stop any rust starting. Also cleaned up the edges of the wings, bottom corners & arch taking any flaky paint off, then painting in Por15 to stop the rust.

I've going to get an HID kit and new bulbs, so it's not 100% yet, but I test up the bumper so I could set all the gaps & made sure the bonnet closes correctly and looks right. Happy to say all is good, so overall it went really well. Looking forward to bolting it all up for good and moving on to the interior next week :)

Only thing I'm unsure on is the wing mirrors & indicators, with them moving from the wings to the mirrors, do I have to move the wiring? Or just change the coding?
I'm guessing it's covered on here somewhere, but if someone knows the thread to search or has the link that would be greatly appreciated :)

Best, Matt
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Had a couple more hours today to finish off a few loose ends before we're back to normal work tomorrow :)

Rolled the front arches, getting ready for the suspension & wheel changing when that comes around.

CAD'd some spacers for the lock carrier & set those printing on our 3D printer. So while I waited for those, I stripped down the front door cards, window regulators & cleaned everything up.

Spacers took a couple of hours, but came out well :)

The space left in height difference between V1 & V2 slam panels

Spacers installed & all tightened up

Next job on the list is to apply some sound deadening inside the door skins. Window regs back on, new speakers in & Touran door cards and wing mirrors on. Then I'll start on the dash swap & carpets :)

Thanks...
Lister79
Hyper Poster

Post by Lister79 »

Sounds good but none that f the photos are working for me.

2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
Lamby00
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Lamby00 »

The same goes for me. I can see the photos from my PC - via google chrome. But I cannot see them on Tapatalk on my mobile.
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

It must be something with tapatalk? I've used imgbb to upload then paste the links over too. I'm only ever on Chrome or google through my phone, I don't use tapatalk as I always found it really annoying haha
Sorry guys!
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

Works ok for me on laptop or tapatalk (android phone).
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Great progress, look forward to seeing what you get up to with this.

Picture work fine for me on Chrome (Windows) and Tapatalk (Android). ;)
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort