Let the build begin - Plushed/Bagged VR6

Show off your caddy
duff180
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Let the build begin

Post by duff180 »

nice van and the drinks holder is a good idea ;)
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Cheers guys!

Vans a lot quieter now the cans aren’t rolling about

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
dean220
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by dean220 »

Great transformation on the caddy credit to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Cheers Dean! Still a few small dings to get rid of…

2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

8o88y
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by 8o88y »

Don’t suppose u did the tailgate conversion I’m doing a major overhaul on mine and want to do the tailgate conversion.
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

[mention]8o88y [/mention] hi bud, to do the tailgate correctly was going to require opening up the rear to fit some replacement VW panels and structural parts.

It something that I’ll do when I get round to doing a full respray, however it could be a while…

8o88y
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 8o88y »

Thank u for the reply do u know the parts list u need to do this?
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

No, I stopped looking once I’d cut open the scrap van and realised there was a fair bit of fabrication, welding, bonding and respraying needed.

If you’re still keen to do it have a search through oemepc.con for body panel and structural parts and post up on the forum as, from memory I think a few guys have done the conversion.

8o88y
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 8o88y »

Cheers mate I have been looking through the site but I can’t find or see any1 that’s done a conversion thread
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

I replied in my build thread and don't want to take this build thread too far off topic, but the simple answer is, there are no build threads or how to guides for this as its a mammoth job that no one on here has taken on (reflex did mine and don't have many photos of the job). Roof needs to be peeled up slightly to fit the beefier reinforcement where the tailgate hinges mount and the side panels don't have the extra reinforcement in them to take the load when tailgate is open so ideally you would need to replace the side panels or find a way to get the reinforcement behind the panel which is incredibly difficult. If you don't do these steps then the roof will likely buckle and the side panels could as well, plus the paint will forever be cracking.
8o88y
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 8o88y »

Well it’s something I may do then as my van is currently sat on a spit as a bare shell lol I would put pics up but don’t know how to lol but thank you for getting back to me about this and giving me info about what needs to be done I will be getting the rear door and stuff this weekend hopefully so I will keep u updated lol
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Replaced the sliding door top and bottom rollers and shortened the front drop links to eliminate the bangs over bumps now the suspension has settled down ImageImage

Old rollers were worn and starting to rub the paint on the sill Image

Drop links had to be cut off, quite surprised as they were replaced about a year ago and well coated with copper slip Image

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Hello mate. I know it was a while back but I’m interested in those bike clamps you have fitted.
Do you have to slacken and turn the handlebars to get the bike close enough to be clamped? If so ho far from the sides does the bike stick out?

Cheers mate

Rescue me from the swans in me
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Let the build begin

Post by C Chis »

[mention]the swan fiend [/mention]

Hi bud,

It’s 34cm’s to the centre of the bike where the yellow part of the clamp is, 47cm’s to the edge of the pedal furthest from the side. No need to slacken the bars.
I also cut the clamp bar back about 10cm’s to move the bikes closer to the sides, giving more room in the middle for stuff.

I went for this solution as it meant leaving wheels and bars on, pretty much load, clamp and go.

With a maxi you have another 40cm’s to play with.

Hope this helps!

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Cheers mate. I think they’re what I need. I want mine as close to the side as possible. Currently I’m slackening the bars and using bunjee cords to hold them.
I’ll buy one and see if I can cut it down more than the 10cm you have and see if it’ll work.
Thanks for the help mate.

Rescue me from the swans in me