Mouse's MTB Day Van/Camper

Show off your caddy
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Mouse's MTB Day Van/Camper

Post by Papa Bear »

Looking great, is that a drive awning or a tent?
We are looking out for one.
Did you solve the split charge relay issue?
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
Mouse
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Mouse »

Thanks @Papa Bear , nah not had chance to look into the relay tbh.

It's a tent made by Quechua that I bought from decathlon a few year ago for £60. Unfortunately the have been discontinued.

It's ideal, the side that the caddy is backed up onto fully unzipps and can be used as an awning (or just pulled up over the roof of the caddy, and you can have the barn doors opened up (will work with a tailgate as I've used it with a touran) on the opposite side is a smaller door I use for access and the side has a window that opens up.

They do sell an inflatable one that's quite similar but it's priced at £200.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/la-air-base ... 61168.html

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

Today after work I set about installing some wood cladding to the ceiling and also installed the remaining 3 spot lights that light the caddy up really well!

The cladding was a slow process at first as I had to make the 2 end pieces fit around the bulk head ends. Then it was plain sailing from there on in, untill I got to what would have been the final piece in the centre where I ran out of panels, also the gap at one end is wayyy bigger than the other. Not sure if that's due to the shape of the van itself or my shoddy carpentry skills

Also fitted my bed/storage box, cooler and a 3 drawer unit I rescued from going to landfill, which now houses my cooking/eating utensils. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

Finally got around to swapping out my door cards to some from a touran.

They look so much better than the standard light grey plastic cards that were originally in.

Just needed a quick alteration to make them fit (thanks to @C Chis on the info)

Swapped out the handles as I wasn't keen on the chrome plus didn't need the electric mirror switch, also had to swap the window switches as they ones fitted didn't work fully.

Electric window and door cards upgrade finally completed ImageImageImage

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Your van’s taking shape!

You managed to get out and use it for some biking yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

Cheers bud, Really happy with the progress so far.

Still not been biking since getting injured, still a few weeks left till I'm healed enough to ride MTB, heading up to Scotland this weekend though, now that the Caddy is at a usable stage as a camper :)
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

Headed up to Scotland over the weekend to give the caddy its first proper outing.

Figured out some changes/improvements I need, to make things a bit easier.

*may need to raise the suspension up a touch as it bottoms out a bit.

*easier access to storage boxes, as I can only (with a struggle) access one box while inside the van (and only if the bed isn't set up)

* Food/cooking: fridge, gas stove, and utensils are all in different areas. Which is a faff! I want to add a pull out storage unit that house all of these, meaning I can have a quick and easy setup and get the coffee brewed and food on the go ASAP.

* Loki (my dog) loves the outdoors and if it's muddy or full of water he's in it, I need to source some durable and well fitting deat covers (for tourans seats)
Also thinking of some kind of build that can go in place of the front seat so he has his own area to sit while on the road and to sleep at night.

*electrics: need some extra plug in points on the opposite side of the caddy.

Going to make some of these changes to my current set up, but toying with a complete overhaul for a (hopefully) more comfortable camping experience.

Also the midges are vicious bastards! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

Winter boots on :DImage

reflectionghost
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by reflectionghost »

Nice. Are the steels 17s?
ngc
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by ngc »

Very nice pics, mate
Last edited by Doc on Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
Caddy 1.4 TSI - 131 HP
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

reflectionghost wrote:Nice. Are the steels 17s?
Cheers pal, they are 16s I believe they were from a Seat Leon, picked em up cheap from FB Market place (1 was brand new) . Cleaned them up the best I could then few coats of grey primer, main colour and lacquer before getting new tyres fitted

Gibson9
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gibson9 »

Hi Mate,

Van looks great I must say!

Is there any chance you have a link to the stance + kit you fitted? Looking to get my ride height sorted and wanting it to sit exactly how yours is!

Thanks
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

Hey guys, got round to working on my caddy.

Re fitted the cladding on the ceiling as the 1st attempt was a bit shoddy and fell apart and finished with a light walnut varnish, spotlights refitted.

Started building a pull out drawer in my bed/storage unit, using drawer runners from B&Q, old shelving unit for the drawer sides and some off cuts from the cladded ceiling, also varnished and a little leather pull tab. This still has some work till complete.

Also added an old curtain and rail to pull closed when needed (can't be bothered to get out and put window blackout on) ImageImageImageImage

Handyandy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Handyandy »

Just been reading your thread and looking at the pictures nice job i'm in the process of fitting the aux battery but not sure how to wire it up to the main starter battery but i was also looking at the tent on the back and was wondering wether you had the barn style doors or the tailgate as i've only seen the tests to fit the tailgate rather than the barn style i have
Beluga blue caddy remapped to 145ish side window and bonnet deflector lowered and 18" calibre rims on 225/40/18
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

Hey man, cheers.

For the battery install I did a fair bit of research (Google) to better understand what items I required and how best to wire everything up, I kept it relatively simple as I only really need power for a few things (lights, cooler/fan, phone/tablet charger) however I am able to expand on these should I feel the need.

I've attached a diagram that I found useful to follow as a guide, I also drew up my own that helped me understand it more.

Plan where you want things to be and then remove panels etc 1st to run cables. The best route (I found) was remove the main battery and follow the wiring through the firewall for the power cable, this will come out just behind the glove box, then run it under the plastic trim below the passenger door to the footwell behind the passenger seat. Plenty space there for battery, relay, fuse box etc etc, then the wiring for switches went under the plastic trim on the floor next to side door and into wheel arch box.

The tent works well with both barn doors or boot lid. (used previously with a touran)

ImageImage