Electrics in my BG conversion

Show off your caddy
chris687
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Electrics in my BG conversion

Post by chris687 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:13 pm

Hi All,
I've just bought a Caddy (Ex BG) and I'm looking to turn it in to a small camper. I work as a mountain guide so I will often be parked up without power etc.

I've ripped out all the racking and I'm trying to suss out what I need to do to get the electrics workable before I start on the lining and aesthetics. The main problem with this is that I'm pretty clueless, so I was hoping there would be people here who could offer advice.

The battery has an isolator connected to it. - I don't know if this is helpful, or not?
There is a LIND box behind the passenger seat which i think is for charging a laptop - Does this mean that the cable attaching it to the battery could be used for a leisure battery?
There are LEDs in the back but they have no switches! They seem to go on when the doors open and off when they close, but are seperate to the ceiling (factory) light system.

I'd love to post photos but I can't work out how, any advice please?

Many thanks

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Electrics in my BG conversion

Post by Papa Bear » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi, welcome.
If a box is designed for a laptop I doubt it’s big enough for a leisure battery, better off putting a proper cable in with a split charger in.
Lights in the back are probably just tapped into the overhead lights. Could remove them or change to work off a separate switch.
As for the isolator, sorry, no idea, will let an ex BG owner answer t one :D
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS

pomsss
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Re: Electrics in my BG conversion

Post by pomsss » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:42 am

Do the BGs already come with a secondary battery, and if so where?
Looking for a good option, e.g. under the passenger seat...