Electrics in my BG conversion

Show off your caddy
chris687
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Electrics in my BG conversion

Post by chris687 »

Hi All,
I've just bought a Caddy (Ex BG) and I'm looking to turn it in to a small camper. I work as a mountain guide so I will often be parked up without power etc.

I've ripped out all the racking and I'm trying to suss out what I need to do to get the electrics workable before I start on the lining and aesthetics. The main problem with this is that I'm pretty clueless, so I was hoping there would be people here who could offer advice.

The battery has an isolator connected to it. - I don't know if this is helpful, or not?
There is a LIND box behind the passenger seat which i think is for charging a laptop - Does this mean that the cable attaching it to the battery could be used for a leisure battery?
There are LEDs in the back but they have no switches! They seem to go on when the doors open and off when they close, but are seperate to the ceiling (factory) light system.

I'd love to post photos but I can't work out how, any advice please?

Many thanks
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Electrics in my BG conversion

Post by Papa Bear »

Hi, welcome.
If a box is designed for a laptop I doubt it’s big enough for a leisure battery, better off putting a proper cable in with a split charger in.
Lights in the back are probably just tapped into the overhead lights. Could remove them or change to work off a separate switch.
As for the isolator, sorry, no idea, will let an ex BG owner answer t one :D
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
pomsss
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by pomsss »

Do the BGs already come with a secondary battery, and if so where?
Looking for a good option, e.g. under the passenger seat...
chris687
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by chris687 »

They don't come with a leisure battery.
I've put mine and the split charge relay behind the passenger seat where there is loads of space.

I've also put a diesel heater in behind the drivers seat
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

The battery isolator as far as I know just kills the power to the van before the battery fully dies. Then I think you press the reset button and the battery will still have enough to start the van. I could be wrong and I’m sure someone can confirm.

I suppose if your parked up for periods of time it could be handy to keep it on.

EDIT - also it’s easy to use Tapatalk to put pictures up 👍
dpalmer_299122
Caddy Fan

Post by dpalmer_299122 »

Yeah I can confirm that's correct regarding the BG isolater switch. I was going to remove mine but as others have said, handy if you're in the middle of nowhere and your battery drains for some reason. It'll leave enough power to start the van.

CHRIS687 - Are you able to send PMs, I'd like to see how you've fitted your diesel heater as I'm toying with the idea of fitting one.

Cheers, Dan
TheGee
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by TheGee »

There’s a few options to secondary batteries:

First, buy an identical battery, (secure it in the back of the van) and run a single suitable cable between the two to join the + terminals together, then the rear battery - terminal goes to a bolt near the rear battery.
This is the easiest route but because the batteries are linked they’ll charge AND discharge together.

Second is a split charge isolator which is essentially a big relay. When the ignition is off, the batteries are isolated so your main car battery is unaffected by the use of the rear battery and it only charges the rear battery when the ignition is on. The isolator kits are available on eBay for around £60-100 complete, all you’ll need is the rear battery which can be a deep cycle leisure battery (much safer inside the vehicle).

Third option is called a DC-DC Charger. It’s an advanced version of the isolator system but only charges once the vehicle engine is actually running. These are around £180 upwards.

The second battery capacity is measured in Ah (amp hours) so a 140ah battery will supply 140 amps for 1 hour or whatever derivative there of.

So, let’s say hypothetically you’re in the back of the van with ignition off & you’re playing the PlayStation on a tv (4ah) phone and laptop charging (1ah) the fridge is on (10ah) lighting (1ah) and a small heater (4ah), you can sit there for 7 hours before your second battery is flat and your main car battery will be fully charged and completely unaffected.

Hopefully that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram @geedubcaddy

New build thread >>HERE<<
Bluedog73
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Bluedog73 »

I have removed lots of additional wiring in my exBG van, and I was going to move on to the isolator next, but by the sounds of it I should keep it to get me home if parked for the day with everything running. Thanks guys.