SWB MK3 1.9TDi Build thread

Show off your caddy
neil278
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: SWB MK3 1.9TDi Build thread

Post by neil278 »

Yes if you’re running them on the same channel as your door speakers. You don’t want the bass frequencies going to the tweeters, as they would easily be damaged by it.
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

I’ve got a bit slack with the build updates it’s only been a year :lol:

Ripped out all the carpet in the back as it hadn’t been sound proofed or insulated, shame as it was a decent job. The mess it left behind though took ages to clean off using a combination of brake cleaner and tar remover, then further degreased with ipa.

Next stage was to sound proof the sides, doors and roof (including cab), I opted for full coverage of the outer panels. I used dodo hex which went on great using a small roller.

neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Next up was a layer of thermo van liner from Harrison’s trim supplies, with the exception to the wheel arches. I filled the cavities with recycled bottle insulation bought from b&q (diall I think).

Then the 4 way stretch carpet!! Looking back at these pictures sends shivers down my spine :? Doing it in one piece was difficult if you’ve never done that sort of think before. However the results I think speak for them selves :D I went for anthracite, again from Harrison’s trim supplies.

The roof was then insulated and covered in a light stone coloured stretch carpet to match the reset of the headliner in the cab. Installed 6 remote controlled led spot lamps, there’s also a cut off switch by the sliding door which switches it off, fully on or on with the doors opening.

neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

The floor next had my attention ;)

I used silent coat sheets on the floor (definitely not as good as the dodo hex), followed up with dodo super liner to insulate. This stuff compresses around the ribs in the floor easy when the ply is laid over the top, rather the a thermo van liner used on the sides. While I was at it I wiped the carpet out behind the seats and covered that too.

The floor then had new ply lining and Altro flooring fitted. I was going to stick the altro down but it honestly doesn’t need it. I also carpeted the rail behind the seats, which really smartens up the look next to the armrest.

neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Needed a solution for the rear windows as I didn’t want them tinted. Bought some blackout material and cut it to size, sown up with neodymium magnets around the outside. Easy to store when not in use but fully cover the windows when needed 8)

RCD330 fitted. I bought a 2 meter USB male to female lead and soldered it to the terminals inside for the front mounted USB. Ran the lead to the arm rest so I can now plug in my phone there, rather than having to use the really annoying front USB ;)

neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Nice little cheap upgrade for the RCD330! Not bad for £16.99 of Amazon :D discreetly fitted under the barndoor handle and can’t be seen when standing near the van. Bright led’s around the camera light up well for dark manoeuvring!

neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Making full use of the VCDS I borrowed :lol:

Mk6 Golf multifunction steering wheel and cruise control stalk. Required a new steering control module, as mine was poverty spec! Works nicely with the RCD330 and a big upgrade over the plastic wheel it came with. Leather is like new but there is a few tiny storage compression marks but not overly noticeable and I’m sure they will come out in time.

I wanted to make use of the buttons on the right of the wheel as well and really miss having a temperature gauge.. Touran highline clocks 8) they just look sooo much nicer. Added bonus to have mpg and miles to empty etc. on the display. Had the immobiliser and mileage correction done by a company though as VCDS can’t do that.

A nice easy one next, electric and heated door mirrors, which due to the earlier electric windows upgrade was plug and play.

Vanny
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Vanny »

Looking great........about to start lining the back of mine but may do the cab aswell now how actually difficult was the carpet?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Glen G
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Glen G »

Great job man coming along.... Where did you get the RCD330 ? Looking to do something similar to mine
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

@ vanny definitely worth doing the cab area if you can, most difficult but in the cab is refitting the ‘a pillar’ trims.. right sod to do! As for the carpet it’s not the worst job to do but takes patience, definitely watch a few videos to see techniques. One bit that stands out as particularly difficult to get right is the corner (either side) that joins the side and rear of the van and the top of the wheel arch, very easy to get creases.

@ glen g the RCD330 is of eBay from China, around £200. They are fitted to the Chinese vw’s out there hence it works and fits as oem. Just make sure you avoid the RCD360 as it’s just a fake 330, the canbus decoder on the loom is the give away, lots of screen failures. Definitely worth opening up the unit to solder in a usb fly lead as it just gets in the way when plugged in at the front.
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Swapped out the last few bits of trim to the anthracite colour and finally rid of the light grey :P bought these new as they are impossible to find in even a remotely usable condition and they was surprisingly cheap!

Vanny
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Vanny »

Thanks Neil........iam on it this weekend so all advice appreciated

Those trims are spot on with the anthracite carpet. Do you have a link for them?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Have a search for Combe Valley Campers on YouTube, they have some really good videos on how to apply stretch carpet👍🏻

I used these guys https://www.oemvwshop.com/ my order was below the tax threshold so didn’t pay any tax :D which made it cheaper than VW or TPS. They also came with all new clips and fixings as well!

Part numbers are: for anthracite, as in the facelift MK 3 (71N). If you need MK4 Titan black change the last 3 digits to 82V

Sill trim strip (no sliding door, drivers side) anthracite 2K0853372D 71N

Sill trim strip (sliding door, passenger side) anthracite 2K0853371E 71N

Rear door threshold (barn door) anthracite 2K0863459H 71N

Cover cap anthracite 2K0863905 71N (need 4 of these)
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

It’s that job you keep putting off! (And blatantly the previous owner :lol: ) literally a whole bucket of leafs, moss and anything else that can get in there. Although the drain points were pretty blocked up no water had leaked into the cabin which is a bonus. At least it’s done now, it was only 5 bolts holding in the lower skuttle panel so fairly easy to access.

neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Air con retrofit day 8) just in time for winter :lol:

Probably the most in-depth retrofit I’ve done. Massive shout out to Colin aka C Chis on here who supplied wiring diagrams, a little guidance and even went to his local scrappy for me, what a gent👍🏻

I opted to install climatic air conditioning, climatronic seemed like more hassle on top of an already big job - climatic has sensors to automatically adjust the temp to what its set to and climatronic is duel zone (driver and passenger controlled independently). While I was in there I fitted a PTC heater (frosty mornings already and it’s a god send!!!), along with upgrading to the facelift heater controls which really update the interior of the van.

One point to note for anyone looking to do the same. The caddy has 2 types of system, N25 relay driven magnetic clutch type and N280 compressor regulating valve. If you have hydraulic power steering like my old beast you can only fit the N25 system. This is due to the power steering pump bracket only accepting the N25 style compressor.

Onto the build!

This is the point where you start to question your sanity!

This is the point where you realise that this whole retrofit fit game is really getting out of hand :shock:

And it’s at this final point of putting a drill to the bulkhead of your van that the fear kicks in that you might actually cock this up :lol: … but you still do it :lol:

Turned out good though :D treated the bare metal to prevent any rust

Chasing wires in the main loom to tap into. Luckily I found most with ease which was a pleasant surprise.

Passed the wires through the grommet plus the positive cable for the PTC heater, while I was there I also run another 4 gauge cable for a leisure battery (future project). There’s a spare nipple to cut off for a watertight seal.

All taped up!

New heater box back in. At this point you can rest knowing it all fits and that bloody great hole you put in was correct!

Didn’t take any pictures doing the engine bay work but here’s one of the built up front panel with the new ac rad in position.

A little bit of coding in VCDS and just like that I have working air con 8) love the facelift heater controls, I was a bit apprehensive they wouldn’t work in a van built way before they had come out.