Covid caddy project

Show off your caddy
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Covid caddy project

Post by the swan fiend »

You’re doing a great job of transforming this van mate. Well done and top work. The r36 seats look well smart.....and I think it looks fine at the standard height.

The big VW sign in your garage is boss! Id have one if I had any room!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Ripley55
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Covid caddy project

Post by Ripley55 »

I'd have that sign in the Dining room if she'd let me :D :D :D :D :D
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by fishynos72 »

the swan fiend wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:14 pm You’re doing a great job of transforming this van mate. Well done and top work. The r36 seats look well smart.....and I think it looks fine at the standard height.

The big VW sign in your garage is boss! Id have one if I had any room!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Its a whole lot of photos and pages for not a lot of big changes to the van besides cleaning and maintenance. Hopefully that changes in the future.

I love my vw sign, its a shame its water damaged, but if It wasn't it'd still be on a dealership wall somewhere.

Ripley55 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:47 pm I'd have that sign in the Dining room if she'd let me :D :D :D :D :D
There's a photo somewhere (I'll try to dig it up) of exactly the same illuminated sign hanging inside someone's house above their stairwell.

My other half isn't quite so relaxed about our decor
How many is too many Volkswagens?
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Hello all,

Happy 2022, I hope everyone had a safe holiday period.
Long time between updates I know. Typical Christmas madness.

So once again the inside of the caddy has come apart.
After fitting the Passat seats I couldn’t help but want to update from the early caddy grey plastics and floor covering, but because of covid the price of used vehicles has doubled, meaning very few vehicles are being written off leaving wrecking yards asking crazy money for parts due to having no caddy to wreck.

After months of searching I’ve managed to put together a later black interior.

So I was enjoying that for a little while, toodling around the country side avoiding catching Covid.
Then I got the itch and I turned my attention to the exterior of the van as it’s well overdue to some updates.

That began a slippery slope- starting with a set of Vito 17” steel wheels.

Stock 15"

To now 17"

Not too financially crippling so far
And then that slope slipped lead off the side of a cliff…

After basically searching for the year I’ve been driving the caddy, I’ve finally found most of what I need to create a 2020 Caddy facelift conversion.

And because I’m impatient I fitted the rear bumper setup straight away along with a new Transporter wiper blade and a de-badge job. Thus leaving only the taillights to go to complete the rear of the vehicle.

Note the different bumper sliders.

Very happy with the conversion to black.

I’ve quite the challenge ahead retrofitting the updated front end, the chassis out-riggers and small glass panels need to be changed for it all to work.

To top my week off, on the way home from collecting all these panels my clutch began to slip like crazy.

Given I got a whole year of driving out of it I didn’t expect to get, I’m not mad.
So to completely drain what was left of my bank account, today’s purchase is a brand new DMF, slave cylinder, throw out bearing and clutch kit.

Wish me luck!
Ronnibegood
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Ronnibegood »

really nice looking Van..

I really like the look of the 17" steelies, now i need to find myself a set of those..
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Thank you,

Until they released the mk5 caddy the biggest Volkswagen steel wheel Australia saw in 5x112 was 16".

The mk5 caddy wheels are $800AUD a set of 4 wheels pre tyres at internal dealership pricing, so they were a definite no.

The Vito wheels have a more aggressive offset, and require hub centering rings due to the different bore size.

The Vito wheels aren't common in Australia in a 17" but definitely more common than 2nd hand mk5 caddy wheels.

Last night i geared up hoping to be victorious in my install of a new clutch.

My parts supplier took my VIN and assured me despite my what I thought I knew, that my vehicle had a Duel mass flywheel.
This meant my 'cheap' clutch replacement just got a lot more expensive, I didn't mind as I'd rather have the DMF all fresh and new for a smoother drive.

So after dragging the gearbox out on my shed floor, you can imagine my horror when I saw the Single mass flywheel bolted to my engine.

Not being sure if this is how my vehicle is meant to be from factory, or if the 'mechanic' who replaced the engine in my van ten years prior to my owning it, cheapened out and did a SMF conversion. The 'Excidy" branding on the flywheel and lack of any markings on the clutch only muddy the waters further.

Thankfully the parts department at the dealership I work at helped me double check numbers.

It would appear my van has had a Single mass conversion at some point. I suspect that coupled with the cheaper parts have lead to my clutch issues

I'm really curious to see how the vehicle runs and drives with a DMF.
Last edited by Giddy on Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Great Success!

Though not without it’s challenges and frustrations.

Got the new DMF and clutch all bolted up, gearbox installed happy days.

Only to have the dust shield rub on the rear of the DMF…..

So we’re back out again for some adjustments.

Then it was all back together for successful test driving- mad max style.

Then I figured I’d better put a front end on it.

The missing brackets and bits are on order and should arrive this week allowing it to be a complete road-going vehicle once again.

I'm very pleased with the new look (despite the slight panel colour difference).

I should have some video content coming soon documenting the recent frenzy of work.
Cooney28
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Cooney28 »

Caddy look great. Enjoying the videos too. Looking forward to the next installment.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

gpaolo2kn
Caddy Fan

Post by gpaolo2kn »

we follow the developments :D
itease
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by itease »

Coming along nicely mate, I've heard the front doors are different to the facelift ones as well with the door line different, is that true?

You should've done an FSI conversion whilst the box was out :D
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Thank you for the nice words.

Hopefully have some more videos to you shortly.

The front doors are different. The outer skin on a later van has a sharper swage line pressed into it, to line up with the line on the front wing.

The line runs across the top of the side marker.
Even my mismatched setup. It's not that noticeable. It'll be even harder to spot once all the panels are the same colour.

As for engine swapping- I love the diesel. Can't beat the torque and the 1000kms on a tank.

I've worked on and driven plenty of VAG FSI stuff, and it's nice, but I really wanted a TDI in my fleet, I'm not a fan of the 1.6tdi in later vans, hence Ive chosen to invest in this earlier one. (Mines a sweet spot, as it's electronic power steering and still the BLS diesel, keeps the engine bay less cluttered).

Aside from an air con compressor and turbo it's had nearly everything replaced that high millage might cause issues with
Last edited by Giddy on Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of previous post
itease
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by itease »

It’s hard to beat the torque of the diesels, I have a couple of Caddy’s and one FSI converted and it’s soo much fun to drive.

I’m just about to do another one with an EA888 and dsg and a full facelift conversion like yours but I’ll buy a complete car from the auctions and I already have all the rear including a tailgate.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

The beauty of this VW chassis, it's all like lego.

EA888 will be good fun, easy to mod and yet reliable.

I really should have just bought a smashed van myself- just dont have the time or room to wreck a complete car and then sell off the drivetrain.

Since buying my van the idea of DSG converting crossed my mind a few times. I've been involved in converting various mk5 golfs to DSG in the past.
I enjoy ripping around town rowing gears too much. Also it being manual stops people asking to borrow it to move house.
Last edited by Giddy on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of previous post
osborne18
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by osborne18 »

hi bud, dont suppose you have the part number for the bumper sliders ?
Is this the only thing you had to change on the rear for the upgrade ?
sewi
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by sewi »

Great stuff you got there. I especially like the Mk4 rear conversion as it is something I'd like to do myself.
These seats are vented? How is that connected to AC?
It looks great. I know you went with the auti vents but any plans to swap the dash? I find this process quite troublesome but it does look a loot more like a car afterwards.