Covid caddy project

Show off your caddy
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: Covid caddy project

Post by HicksyOz »

I didn't get carpet from them, was cheaper local to me and feels like really good quality stuff so saved a few bucks.
As for the suspension, its going back to the garage in the next week to try the different hole in the centring plate and also raise it one notch. See what that does to things but I get the feeling I'll be making a trip to a suspension expert rather than just a standard garage in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1.4 TSI220 SWB Caddy MY20
2.0 162TSI Tiguan Wolfsburg MY19
2008 Yamaha R6
Cervelo S5 Disc DA 9170 (For any bike riders)
horace01
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by horace01 »

Nice job onthe van. Its come up great.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

HicksyOz wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:51 am I didn't get carpet from them, was cheaper local to me and feels like really good quality stuff so saved a few bucks.
As for the suspension, its going back to the garage in the next week to try the different hole in the centring plate and also raise it one notch. See what that does to things but I get the feeling I'll be making a trip to a suspension expert rather than just a standard garage in the near future. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Let us know how you go, I'll be interested to see if it's a simple installation issue or something greater.

horace01 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:18 pm Nice job onthe van. Its come up great.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thank you, mechanical work happening this weekend, it'll be good to finally have it on the road.

Btw I know your caddy fairly well, I've judged it at the last few days of the volkswagen shows. Definitely leaves a lasting impression
How many is too many Volkswagens?
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Bit of extreme maintenance this weekend.

My van had a second hand engine fitted in 2011, forty thousand KMs ago, I have the paperwork. According to the service reminder logging within the instrument cluster, the vehicle hasn't had the service light set for forty thousand KMs. That coupled with the fact all of the filters in the car have 2010 dates on them, and the oil filter turned to dirt upon removal.. I'm under the impression the last owner never serviced the van while he owned it.
:roll: :roll:

Blows my mind that someone wouldn't service a car for that long.

Anywho onto the damage thats done.

Fitted the new radiator support

The lack of oil changes coupled with the failing oil cooler and EGR cooler meant my camshaft and lifters were beyond toast.
New lump stick, lifters and cam gear were all required due to heavy damage.

Also decided to free up some room behind the engine, for ease of maintinance.

Then the cherry on the steam cleaned cake, an engine cover.
(Once i've flushed the coolant a few times a replacement coolant bottle and cap will be fitted, its filth bothers me too)

Few more small items to check off the list and it's roadworthy inspection time.

If you're after this update in a video entertainment format, feel free to check out the latest episode of Covid-Caddy.

https://youtu.be/G2wy0DP4cO0
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Forgot to mention I installed LED interior globes and number plate globes from Iilumo.

Very happy with their products, as I've installed their globes in a few cars now. Always work well error free with VW canbus and all have nice consistent colour temperature.

Can't speak highly enough of them
Phillstine
Caddy2k Groupie

Covid caddy project

Post by Phillstine »

Enjoyed the videos! quite a nice pace to them! as much as I like reading the updates on the forum the videos are a welcome addition.

Looking forward to the next one!
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

Impressive transformation, enjoyed the videos too
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Phillstine wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:15 pm Enjoyed the videos! quite a nice pace to them! as much as I like reading the updates on the forum the videos are a welcome addition.

Looking forward to the next one!

Thank you, I'll hopefully another episode sorted soon. Depends if I've enough content to justify a whole video.

Giddy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:00 pm Impressive transformation, enjoyed the videos too

Thank you
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Finally something arrived in the mail. Been waiting over a month for this to come from china.

Unfortunately VW price their shifter knobs/ gators and surrounds very high. I'd rather buy genuine, but cant justify the $800+ price tag.

Given this china spec one was $20 it's surprisingly good quality. Hopefully it holds up ok to the usual wear and tear. If not, I may invest in something aftermarket later. For now I need one with the correct shift pattern for the Roadworthy inspection.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Not much new to report on lately.

Fitted the Chinese gear knob the other day.

Aside from the provided clamp breaking, it went surprisingly well. The feel of the knob doesn't seem as cheap as the purchase price.

In preparation for a roadworthy I tried to polish the headlights, with limited success.

One came up a lot clearer than the other, hopefully they pass the inspection, I've been trying to source RHD Touran headlights, but that would still lead to complications during the roadworthy inspection, as they were not factory fitted to the vehicle. Hopefully the stock lights pass as I'd rather invest in the Touran xenon instead of standard lights I won't end up running.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Tried Meguiar's headlight restoration kit this afternoon. I've had success with similar products before. But the headlights in my caddy are on their last legs. Seems they've had a clear coat applied a few times over the years.

Masked up ready for a chemical scuffing.

2 rounds of scrubbing some alloy based paste into the lens

Hopefully I have some less yellow after shots tomorrow, once the UV coating cures
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Results on the headlight clear coat are in

Average, but passable. New headlights required long term.

Also gave my local VW dealer a visit.

Van finally looks a lot less ghetto without holes in the door.

Apolegies for the hurried, poor quality photos.

Unfortunately it'll be 2 weeks before the van can go for a roadworthy inspection. So there'll be no updates until then.
cheers
phil
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by phil »

why not wet sand and clear coat the lights, this usually works much better
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

phil wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:08 am why not wet sand and clear coat the lights, this usually works much better

That's exactly what I did. Unfortunately the condition of the lights is so poor, due to previous efforts to remove yellowing they didn't come up nearly as well as the method usually does
IainH91
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by IainH91 »

The cleaning on this alone is amazing!