Aussie 2020 Pure Grey 1.4 TSI SWB

Show off your caddy
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by HicksyOz »

Finally got the phone call I've been waiting 7 months for...
Last edited by HicksyOz on Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.4 TSI220 SWB Caddy MY20
2.0 162TSI Tiguan Wolfsburg MY19
2008 Yamaha R6
Cervelo S5 Disc DA 9170 (For any bike riders)
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan

Re: Aussie 2020 Pure Grey 1.4 TSI SWB

Post by HicksyOz »

In Australia we don't get the choice of TrendLine, HighLine etc. A standard SWB van comes with bugger all, so I've optioned it with:

Bi-Xenon Headlights
Lifting Tailgate
Rear Camera
Multi-function display Premium
Appearance Package
Adaptive Cruise Control
Fog Lights/Light and Sight Package
Discover Media
Leatherette seats
Side Rail Cover
Front Carpets to replace stock plastic flooring

Then comes the extras that I "just had to have" thanks to looking at all of the awesome builds on here.... Soooo.

Rotiform CCV 19" x 8.5 ET 45. Arrived same day as the car.

BC Racing Coilovers are on their way
TRC Front Lip, Side Skirts and Rear Spats
Sound Deadening, acoustic liner, 2 different thickness foams and Carpet for the walls and floor and suede for the headliner
LED strips and diffusers for the rear lighting
Amp and 2x 8" subs
R Badge and Wolfsburg Badge
Last edited by HicksyOz on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Yamaha R6
Giddy
Hyper Poster

Post by Giddy »

Sounds like you have done quite a bit of shopping already
Looking forward to see the transformation

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan

Post by HicksyOz »

Booked in Thursday morning to take delivery!!!

Hoping I can book in to get the BC's fitted this weekend, otherwise will be early next week. :D
2008 Yamaha R6
rkstr
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by rkstr »

... im so glad there are more than just me who want to do up the caddy here in Oz...

sounds like you will have a real nice ride once your done.. cant wait to see the images..

im about to start a caddy project - may as well while in Melb Lockdown at the moment.. hahaha
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan

Post by HicksyOz »

First night in its new home right next to the big brother Wolfsburg Tiguan. So stoked!!Image

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2008 Yamaha R6
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan

Post by HicksyOz »

Got the tyres fitted yesterday 235/35 Toyo Proxes C100+.
Spent 4+ hours polishing and Ceramic Coating the Rotiforms ready to be fitted with the BC Coilovers on Monday.

Best photo I could take to show the shine difference, considering they are meant to be a matte black wheel it came out great!Image

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2008 Yamaha R6
Moore
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Moore »

That's some quick progress already! Looking forward to seeing the outcome.
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan

Post by HicksyOz »

Haven't posted much for a few weeks as the BC Racing Coilover install didn't go well at all.

After staying at the garage for a week trying to sort the issues, the boys gave in and told me they couldn't fix the problem...

I've posted in a few other threads in regards to the issues but I'll throw some pics up to show whats going on.

First issue showed as soon as we lowered the van off the lift, the passenger side rear wheel sat around 8mm or so off centre and because of this the sliding door wouldn't open.
The photo above is how its sitting at home with the stock steel wheels on, 90 degree square against the tyre shows the difference from side to side. (above is passenger side)
And this is the drivers side
But the main issue is how badly the wheels sit in the arch.
I sat the square on a box and measured the gaps in front of and behind the tyre to the guard.
Passenger side: Gap at the back is 33mm and in front is 58mm
Drivers side: Gap at the back is 37mm and front is 54mm

So the whole axle is sitting crooked left to right and front to back making even the stockies scrub (more so on the passenger side) just from accelerating softly.

Only positive so far is the front end looks wicked!!! Absolutely love the Rotiform CCV wheels, will be devastated if I have to get rid of them if we cant sort the axle issue.
2008 Yamaha R6
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

Have you put centralising plates on the back?

https://www.reflexautodesign.com/produc ... 11-onwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Caddyluv on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giddy
Hyper Poster

Post by Giddy »

Did you try to slacken all the rear bolts a bit and tighten everything up on a level surface (ideally 4 post or scissor type lift that you can drive on), as it was suggested in other thread?
Now regarding the wheel shift towards the back. Did you use plates from the BC racing kit or something else? Judging from the picture below (from other thread), it looks like the BC Racing plates have two sets of holes. The offset holes are quite a bit off-centre and will push your wheels too much towards the back, unless you go mega low. Your best bet here would be to use centre holes. Wheels will be slightly shifted towards the front, but it will give you a reference point for how much you need to shift the wheel towards the back. And then re-drill existing plates for exact offset or use ready available centralising plates.

HicksyOz
Caddy Fan

Post by HicksyOz »

@Caddyluv Yeah, we used the set supplied in the kit. The picture that Giddy has posted are the ones.

@Giddy I gave all that info from the other thread to the garage mate and they told me (I was away so couldn't be there to see for myself :evil: ) that they tried it a couple of different ways but with no change. Also, It was a 2 post lift so not a drive on one.
Yep, those are the correct plates in that pic, and as per the instructions from BC we have used the front holes.
I have gone for the 3rd hole of the 4 which they say will lower the back 80mm, so I wouldn't say that's Mega low. See that's what I was thinking as well, the instructions tell you to use the center hole if only lowering 55mm (highest setting for the kit) and then for the other 3 heights 70mm, 80mm, 95mm all should use the front hole.
I have been speaking with the Australian importer for BC and they have been quite good, seem keen to help me sort the issue which is comforting, it's just been a bit of a slow process going between people in Aus, Asia and the UK.

Just a thought, but if or when I get to the point of re-drilling holes, would drilling them off center (left to right not front to back) help me counteract the sideways offset issue??
2008 Yamaha R6
Giddy
Hyper Poster

Post by Giddy »

HicksyOz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:29 am ... that they tried it a couple of different ways but with no change. Also, It was a 2 post lift so not a drive on one.
So they have created a problem in a first place. It has to be done properly

...would drilling them off center (left to right not front to back) help me counteract the sideways offset issue??
Don't do that, it's a wrong approach. If assembled correctly, your axle should be centred left to right when on a relatively flat surface.
Also Caddy has so called floating rear axle, so don't be surprised if parked on a slope and it will shift slightly to one side. And this is usually exaggerated by longer hangers.

Overall, the best thing you can do is to polybush all the rear (powerflex, superpro, etc.). Polyurethane bushes can rotate, so it will eliminate all the nonsense and reduce the lateral flex that lowered Caddys suffering from, also will slightly improve small bump sensitivity.
Cgiorgi
100BHP+

Post by Cgiorgi »

Geez I hope my caddy doesn’t take that long to order, I placed order a week ago and was told around 4 months. Has very similar specs so not holding my breath
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan

Post by HicksyOz »

@Giddy
Excuse the ignorance but what difference would the 2 post lift make? They still (so they told me) did the bolts up on the ground with load on the suspension.

"Don't do that, it's a wrong approach. If assembled correctly, your axle should be centred left to right when on a relatively flat surface.
Also Caddy has so called floating rear axle, so don't be surprised if parked on a slope and it will shift slightly to one side. And this is usually exaggerated by longer hangers."

All good, definitely understand what you mean. And yep, I've read about the "normal" float but this is out while on a flat surface.

"Overall, the best thing you can do is to polybush all the rear (powerflex, superpro, etc.). Polyurethane bushes can rotate, so it will eliminate all the nonsense and reduce the lateral flex that lowered Caddys suffering from, also will slightly improve small bump sensitivity."

So would the 3 I'd need be the:
REAR LEAF SPRING BUSH
REAR LEAF SPRING CHASSIS SHACKLE BUSH
REAR ANTI ROLL BAR MOUNTING BUSH 20MM or 22MM
And also look into putting something (ie: plate) into the top of the hanger to stiffen that up?
2008 Yamaha R6