The Poverty Spec Caddy

Show off your caddy
ACalamita
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: The Poverty Spec Caddy

Post by ACalamita »

@kafer-k they fold as flat as they do in the picture above :)

They also lift forward too or fully out.
kafer-k
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by kafer-k »

Awesome thank you! Pics are really helpful. Looking really tidy 8)

I only need one extra seat so wondering if I can just install half and let someone else use the other side!
ACalamita
Caddy Fan

Post by ACalamita »

Thanks man!

Yeah, technically you could cut down the Touran bases and only weld and bolt in enough for one seat. I did consider that but thought it'd look neater all done.

That and the fact you can just put one or two seats in, they don't all need to be in at once :)
MicronDan
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by MicronDan »

Nice work on the seat! I’m looking to do the same. I already have a factory twin seat but it’s in the awful ‘bus grey’ cloth.
ACalamita
Caddy Fan

Post by ACalamita »

Bit more progress over the last week or so. Again with the boring jobs but getting there!

Side rail, clips and bolts from TPS and some spire clips from Amazon to fit it. I didn't buy the whole rail too (yet!) I just used some double sided tape along the edge to hold it tight to the rail. It's working for now but long term, I'll probably swap the rail.

2.4x1.8 ply from B&Q fits in the back (above the front seats!!) and cut the flooring out yesterday too. Fits around the Touran base nicely enough!

Sound deadening for the floor down. Just ordered some more for the arches and where I'll ply the insides of the body "windows". Carpet and adhesive ordered too :)

Might be time to take the grey off now! Seeing as it has a white line through the middle. I still kind of like it though :roll:
ACalamita
Caddy Fan

Post by ACalamita »

Picked up a Polo 5 speed gear knob for £20.

Had to unpick the gaitor from the base as they're obviously different and re-attach it to the caddy base. Re-attached with some tiny self tappers to keep the gaitor tight and they've obviously hidden.

Much nicer feel and look to the standard one!

Carpet has arrived so that's the job for the weekend....!!
ACalamita
Caddy Fan

Post by ACalamita »

Not quite got round to fully fitting the carpet yet... I realised there was a bit more prep than I thought. Plus I wanted to test cut some ply for the inner sections.

Few more little bits done. Had a visit to TPS for some OEM C pillar brackets for the seatbelts. I had installed the spreader plates I got from eBay but didn't like them behind the C pillar. I'll use them for the 3rd floor point via the wheel arch though.

Also fitted a new high level brake light as the original was cracked.

Testing the new brake light! :)

Also used a router to trace the existing MDF panel in some ply and test my carpeting skills and my new clips

Hopefully get round to giving it a clean inside this evening ready to carpet the sides!
ACalamita
Caddy Fan

Post by ACalamita »

Tackled the rest of the carpet and inner ply linings yesterday... I'm more of an engine/suspension/bodywork guy and not so much arts and crafts so this was new for me!

Was simple enough. It's not perfect and there's a few places I could have done better but I'm happy with the results.

ImageUntitled by A Calamita, on Flickr

Just need to cut some ply for the other areas now and then carpet them. Will get round to it over the next week or so but the bulk is now done! :D
chris577612
Caddy Fan

Post by chris577612 »

Looking tidy Well done

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

ACalamita
Caddy Fan

Post by ACalamita »

Thanks dude! Will look better when it's all together and the flooring is down too!

I've already cut the ply for this, just need some rubber flooring and to fit it. Need more days off work to have a solid full day on it rather than just evenings and a few hours at the weekend!!
Dickyboy82
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Dickyboy82 »

@ACalamita do you have any better pics of the brackets for the rear seats, front bracket and rear bracket. I'm looking at installing them myself but need some pics of installs to show my mate who will weld the brackets in. Did you rivet the C pillar plates in place also.

Thanks

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

ACalamita
Caddy Fan

Post by ACalamita »

@Dickboy82 sorry, I don't. Only what's in the thread and I've now installed the plastics so you can't really see :(

To be honest though, once you have the front piece from the Touran split (just the bracket separated from where it's spot welded to the floor) and you offer that up to the rear of the passenger footwell, it's pretty self explanatory (especially for any welder/fabricator) where it fits.

You do need to trim down the 'wings' on each end of the bracket for it to sit properly flush.

I then re-spot welded it and then welded along the edge.

The rear bracket just sits to the back at the right distance from the front bracket. Once the front one is in, fit a seat to get the right distance for the rear bracket and tack it/bolt it in place

I did rivet the C pillar plates in place as I carpeted the rear of the van after installing them so obviously needed them to stay there :D
Again, that's a pretty simple job. I used some string and a super strong magnet from the inside of a hard drive to hold it in place whilst marking and drilling.

If/when you have enough posts/rights, drop me a PM if you like.
Dickyboy82
Caddy Fan

Post by Dickyboy82 »

@ACalamita once I get a bracket I'll fit it up and see what we got to work with. My mate works on classics alot so should be fine

I managed to get seat belt spreader plate bolts up the pillar and river them in before I carpet. So that's another thing ticked off.

I'm sure if I/we run into a problem I'll be back on here

ACalamita
Caddy Fan

Post by ACalamita »

Cool. Yeah, he should know his stuff then and this will be simple for him ;)

Did you use the OEM spreader plates? I had some off ebay that I fitted first but I didn't like them so got the OEM ones behind the pillars.
I'm using the ebay ones for the third point that bolts through the end of the wheel arch though. They seem fine for that bit.

Just drop me a message on here if you do!

Rest of carpeting was slow progress. I just wasn't in the garage as much bit finally finished it along with the flooring.
I'd already cut the ply for the floor so it just needed the flooring sticking down and fitting :)

Templates and lots of trimming...!!

Test fit prior to carpet!

Horrible picture as it was in the dark but you get the idea!

Bike holder/mounting next then I can actually take it out for a proper trip with the bike in the back :D
Dickyboy82
Caddy Fan

Post by Dickyboy82 »

Yer I got some off eBay and the are riveted in place now. Fingers crossed they work fine. Don't fancy trying to get them out now.

I'm the same, just to busy atm to get round to getting the carpet down. Hopefully the weekend or next I'll make a start. Need to drill the spot welds out aswell and get that floor up. I think I have sourced some brackets and hopefully seats in the mean time.

Nice job you done there fair play