Puff Caddy a.k.a Puff the Magic Wagon

Show off your caddy
Trol23
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Puff Caddy a.k.a Puff the Magic Wagon

Post by Trol23 »

So I took possession of this 2010 Caddy Maxi today. It's a 1.6tdi (102ps) dsg. It's in really good nick for a 10yr old van and only done 65k.

It's not only my first caddy, it's my first vehicle full stop.
That's right, at 40yrs old it's finally become completely untenable to be without a vehicle and I've gone and got a driving license. So I can only apologise in advance if you get stuck behind me pootling along at learner speeds ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

On the way to my lockup I picked up some black 18s from a T4 which are a bit scuffed but sound and with a set of pretty new tyres on them. I also got a set of touran seat bases and door cards from the same bloke who happened to be breaking a Touran. I'd have had the centre console off him too but he wanted that for his own caddy.

Was about to get dark and I haven't got power at the lockup so didn't have time to fit them today but here's one of the wheels leaned in front of the current one - I think they'll look decent enough.

It's been a kitchen fitter's van and the back is pretty minging, so first job for me this week is ripping this old ply lining out, cleaning it up and deadening and insulating before putting new ply in.

Got a pair of black leather Scirocco seats arriving next week and a few other bits too. Will post my progress as I go.
Vag wag
100BHP+

Re: Puff Caddy a.k.a Puff the Magic Wagon

Post by Vag wag »

Welcome to the world of driving... :)

You look like your set to be busy.. 8)
Trol23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Trol23 »

Vag wag wrote: โ†‘Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:41 pm Welcome to the world of driving... :)

You look like your set to be busy.. 8)
...failed my first test when I was 17 by going the wrong way down a one way street...examiners frown on that it turns out. But second time lucky, 23 years later ๐Ÿ™„

I figured it will keep me occupied during lockdown the sequel
Trol23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Trol23 »

Well today can go f**k itself.
Wasted most of the day waiting for my roof rails to arrive, and when they finally did I thought the box looked a little long but didn't think too much of it. At the lockup:

Yup vanstyle sent me transporter rails by mistake. To be fair to them they were very apologetic, got the correct ones off with their courier today and I should have those in the a.m and the wrong ones picked up too. Nonetheless, frustrating.

Particularly when coupled with the fact that the wheels I picked up, which had supposedly been on the guys caddy, don't fit, think they're 5x115 not 5x112. Meh. Messaged him, hopefully he'll take them back and I won't be out of pocket.

But one good thing today was I got all the old ply lining out and it occurred to me that I have a load of Wicander cork tiles (80s dead stock I picked up for a quid a pack a couple of years ago, been using them as poor man's burl veneer when making boxes).

So I laid a bunch out and I think when my new ply lining turns up that I will fit them as my floor.

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

T4 should actually fit but the t5 are a different pcd. Sorry to hear of all your troubles but it just means tomorrow will be a great day, onwards and upwards :)
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Trol23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Trol23 »

I thought they should fit too! Will try again tomorrow when it's not raining, the guy swears he had them on his caddy so I dunno, maybe I'm just being a noob. Deffo didn't seem to line up ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Thanks mate, yeah nothing good comes easy right!?
Trol23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Trol23 »

Replacement roof rails came from Vanstyle. Pleased with them. Black and red is definitely my theme for the exterior...basically just always wanted an A-team van ๐Ÿ˜‚

Trol23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Trol23 »

Good progress today. Last night got my Dr Frankenstein on and modified my old caddy vent faces to accept the TT vents. Haven't glued them together yet as I only have wood glues to hand. I'm guessing epoxy is the way to go? Also need to work out how to make them actually contact the ducts behind there.

Also added some cheapo new knobs to my heater controller. Actually quite pleased with the quality of them for the price.

Trol23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Trol23 »

Got Scirocco seats on Touran bases in. They're a bit wrinkled (stuff piled on them in storage apparently) but I'm not arsed, they were cheap and a massive step up in terms of comfort.

Trol23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Trol23 »

Got the manky ply lining out and removed 10years worth of debris and gave it a scrub, came up pretty clean and shiny in the end. No obvious signs of rust. Got the bulkhead out temporarily too while I get the deadening and insulation in. Made a start on deadening before I ran out of time today.

Trol23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Trol23 »

For those wondering how much deadening you need for a Maxi (if you want to cover everything) it's about 50 sheets. I ordered 40 and have come up a bit short. So ordered another 12pack.

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Epoxy might give you obnoxious fumes whenever you use the vents, there is stuff out there though like plastic weld etc.
Looks like you're cracking on :)
What was the story with the wheels in the end?
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Trol23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Trol23 »

Scoobysrt wrote: โ†‘Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:32 pm Epoxy might give you obnoxious fumes whenever you use the vents
Ah! Thanks! Will look into plastic weld.

Yeah trying to keep busy while lockdown is slowing work down.

The wheels just weren't right fit, the guy was really nice about it and took them back, I told him to keep a score for being a pain so got ยฃ280 back and learnt a lesson! ๐Ÿ˜‚
Trol23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Trol23 »

To go with my 80s cork flooring I picked up a couple of rolls of cork 'insulation' which I'm using for my side and door panels. Will seal it with osmo. Think it looks quite smart and can pin plans and paperwork up on it ๐Ÿ˜‚

I also got some steel blanks up over the back windows for a bit more security for my tools. I'll insulate and ply over these too.

Changed the license plate holders for red ones, the badges for black and red ones, and added the essential stickers.

Also started on improving the diabolical stock speakers - upgrading to Audison APK woofers and tweeters, an alpine amp, and a little underseat sub. Sound deadened the door. Stuck a baffle in behind where the speakers sit. Still got to deaden the inner door panels and fashion some adapter rings.

Trol23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Trol23 »

Replaced the headunit with an rcd330, totally plug and play, really impressed and I really like the OEM look of it in the dash