2012 1.6 TDI build thread

Show off your caddy
Joe456
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

2012 1.6 TDI build thread

Post by Joe456 »

Had a caddy for a couple of weeks now. Interior smelt a bit damp when I picked it up, but since I was 4 hours from home and it was getting late, I decided to just go for it... Felt pretty rough after the drive home, turned out I had been breathing in a tonne of mould that was growing in the headlining and front shelf :|

Anyway, I think I've found the source of the water leak, the roof rack had been removed and instead of putting the bolts back in, the previous owner filled the holes with silicone and didnt do a very good job... I've had them covered with tape and the headlining out for the last week and no further signs of moisture making its way in.

Roof rails on their way, will fit those as soon as they arrive for a more permanent solution to the roof leak.

The seats are unaffected by the mould but under the rubber floor seems a bit swollen so will be replacing that insulation.

The seats appear to have been upgraded, they're not the usual caddy seats, and there are a set of rear seats loose in the back. Will be selling those either way, as i had been planning on replacing the seats with a heated leather set from an A5. Also have a touran dash and door cards on their way, so will be swapping those out too. I'm thinking it makes sense for me to just do the full interior in one hit over the next week or so if possible.

Will post pictures as I go along, any pointers greatly appreciated :D
Vag wag
100BHP+

Re: 2012 1.6 TDI build thread

Post by Vag wag »

welcome aboard .. :)

sounds interesting..and you're going to be busy 8)
Joe456
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Joe456 »

Thanks vagwag! Yep the list keeps growing as I browse people's build threads! initially intended to keep the caddy completely standard as a work vehicle :lol:
Padrino
Caddy Fan

Post by Padrino »

Welcome to the forum. I will be watching this with interest because I am almost at the same stage as you, so I will be "stealing" any good ideas from you :D You've been warned :lol:
Orgoglioso di essere Italiano 🇮🇹
Joe456
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Joe456 »

Padrino wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:47 am Welcome to the forum. I will be watching this with interest because I am almost at the same stage as you, so I will be "stealing" any good ideas from you :D You've been warned :lol:
:lol: no problem! I actually need to do a bit more research before i pull the dash. I ordered an 05 Touran dash that looked to be in good condition. I'm not 100% sure if that will be compatible with my 2012 caddy, and either way, would be a shame to do the swap then realise I should have gone with one from a later model :P
Joe456
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Joe456 »

Haven't posted any progress on here in a while so just gonna update! :D

Touran dash, carpets and door cards are in (sort of)...

Found a load of mould in the headliner, caused by leaky roof rack holes, mould under the carpets, caused by blocked scuttle drains.. addressed both problems first and then moved onto ripping out the interior and starting afresh. Found some absolute filth during interior rip out, looked as though the van had been purposely vandalised, then covered up by the guy I bought it from for a hasty sale.. I learned a possible reason for this, when after spending 5 nights in a row working on the interior, I had a visit from a bailiff to tell me the van had outstanding unpaid finance and the credit company would be looking to take the van (whole seperate post about that). All sorted now and I get to keep the van.

Added some sound insulation under the carpets, and above the headlining

Jet washed mouldy headlining, applied anti mould spray and bleach, then jet washed again until I was sure all traces of mould were gone

Headlining retrimmed with stretch foamed backed Alcantara effect fabric.

Had a bit of an issue stretching the stuff around the interior light cutout so I made a cut and stitched in some little triangles of fabric to stop the headlining from peeling away in future :lol: (patches are hidden by cargo shelf when installed)

Another note that may be of use to some: I had a bit of a mishap where the fabric stuck to itself and I had ripples in the finish, using a steam iron and pillowcase I was able to get rid of 99% of these and those that remained are hidden behind the shelf anyway. I'm guessing the heat temporarily releases the contact adhesive, and shrinks the fabric slightly? Not too sure on the science but it worked well either way :D

Decided to do the sunvisors with some of the offcuts, those are still a work in progress as I've had to order some more fabric glue. Word of warning... this foam backed stretchy stuff is an absolute nightmare to stitch on your mum's sewing machine! The only way I could get it to stitch was by stapling a sheet of paper to each side of the fabric. Not sure if that's a sewing machine setup issue or a characteristic of the fabric.. I would use non foam backed if I were to do it again.

Also fitted a pumpkin head unit and Passat b7 mfsw, just need to find the correct cruise control stalks and get the mfsw working.

I have fitted a steel bulkhead which I plan to carpet (prefer a bulkead as this will be a work van primarily)

I had planned to make up some spacers to push the bulkhead further back, but I feel at the moment like I have just enough room to get my seat into a comfortable position... Speaking of seats:

The ****hole who sold me the van, failed to mention that the passenger headrest was propped in place for the purpose of an easy sale with a lag bolt... So on the lookout (again) for some nice leather A4/A5 seats to replace.

A pillar, b pillar and various other light grey coloured interior plastics colour matched to dark grey plastics and sprayed successfully. Dashboard trims removed to repaint, as the rubberised coating was starting to peel; So begins disaster number 50000...

The guy in the paint shop offered to mix up some satin two pack paint for the trims as this would be far more hard wearing. Using very minimal logic I agreed.. spent a good few hours carefully removing the old paint (peeled off the worst with a Stanley blade, and flatted smooth. Masked the heater vent control decals for God knows what reason...dug out the paint suit, air fed mask (2k paint is very bad for your health for anyone unaware) and set up the compressor paint gun. Sprayed on the 'satin' paint and immediately had to grab my welding mask to avoid the searing glare from the sun reflecting off my new high gloss black panels :lol:

Damn.

Waited a day for the paint to dry and set about flatting again. This took a while as I had a few runs, and true to form the 2 pack paint was very hard wearing. Remasked the vent control symbols and headed to the paint shop to exchange for the 'correct' paint. Guy in the shop was adamant he had mixed satin but apologised and gave me a new tin. I mix this up excitedly and set about spraying my panels....
It's gloss again :lol:

Swore loudly and waited a day for the joy of rubbing down again, losing patience by now so my flatting isn't quite up to the standard it was on the first two. Went back to the paint shop and asked for something in a can ready mixed. Got acrylic satin and the finish is just what I wanted in the first place... save for my now sub par preparation and 3 times masked heater vent controls which now look fairly bad.

Will post photos tomorrow when I finish spraying the dash top storage, but lesson learned, won't be a hero and will just buy the paint in an aerosol In future.

Looking forward to changing the cambelt and water pump. Suspect I have a worn engine mount so will look to address that too :P
LonesTar
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by LonesTar »

Looking good. The soundproofing/insulation pics especially, I have 2013 1,6tdi maxi life and the insulation/soundproofing has to be done.