Slow Burning Build Thread - Cherry Red Caddy

Show off your caddy
N3DXT
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Slow Burning Build Thread - Cherry Red Caddy

Post by N3DXT »

Just purchased a new (to me) Caddy MK4 SWB. It's going to be a work van for a while so not much too much is likely to happen to it in the short term. In time I'd like to soundproof it, change the speakers, change the seats and possible the steering wheel too. Further down the line I'll uprate the front and rear brakes, maybe alloy hubs, control arms, front subframe. After that maybe remove the side door and consider an engine swap.

The spec of the Caddy is pretty good so I don't need to do too much straightaway.

The spec is: 2019 Cherry Red highline SWB, 2.0 TDI, DSG, Tailgate, Heated seats, BI Xenon headlights, Lowered and as a plus it came with genuine 18inch VW Pretoria wheels in gloss black.

I also have a Mk7 Golf R which I had been planning to make numerous modiations to but now I can't see that getting used very much as apart from the Caddy I also have an Audi Q5 (which I picked up new last July). It makes most sense to keep the Q5 as my main 'car' let the Golf go at some point and then make some modifications to the Caddy. I'll be keeping them fairly low key as I stay away regularly for work and don't want it attracting too much attention in the hotel car park overnight..

I had stockpiled a number of parts for the Golf R (thankfully due to the numerous lockdowns they never made it onto the car) and I'd like to try where possible to use these on the Caddy, annoyingly not that many of them fit both platforms..

Bits I'd bought for the Golf that now will be probably be sold were new rear calipers and tarox strada pads (these won't fit the Caddy as they are for vehicles with an electric handbrake), Eibach lowering springs, Reiger rear valence, Whiteline rear ARB and drop links, Rear seat delete kit, black mirror caps.

Bits I'd bought for the Golf that I will get to use at some point are 345mm reyland two piece J hook front discs, new Porsche Macan 4 pot calipers freshly painted in porsche yellow and new tarox strada pads. I also bought a new set of 5 (full set and a spare) 19 x 8 VW Pretoria rims in graphite grey (from a VW T Roc), these all have new 235 35 19 Michelin MP4S tyres and will go on at some point too. I've got them on the Golf for now, the Golf came with silver 19 inch pertorias so I'll stick them back on when I get round to letting the car go.

The Q5

Last edited by N3DXT on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kieran352
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Slow Burning Build Thread - Cherry Red Caddy

Post by Kieran352 »

Love the Golf R in red
Zeberdeecaddy
100BHP+

Post by Zeberdeecaddy »

Caddy looks so good in Red .

👍
T4 .
2.5 TDi 102 .
hef355
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by hef355 »

Love this in red too mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonyhill
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by tonyhill »

The Caddy looks the best out of all 3 :D
Ripley55
Hyper Poster

Post by Ripley55 »

X2 👍😂😂
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

That’s a very nice fleet of cars you have there mate. They all look really good but I have to agree with others. The caddy looks the best. The paintwork looks really good, I’d say it’s either been washed properly since new, or detailed.

Rescue me from the swans in me
DeaLea37
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by DeaLea37 »

The caddy looks lovely in red
N3DXT
Caddy Fan

Post by N3DXT »

the swan fiend wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:03 pm That’s a very nice fleet of cars you have there mate. They all look really good but I have to agree with others. The caddy looks the best. The paintwork looks really good, I’d say it’s either been washed properly since new, or detailed.

I got lucky as the previous owner was a local detailing company. its done 500 miles since that pic though and looks very dirty at the moment.
N3DXT
Caddy Fan

Post by N3DXT »

I've spent the week working out what to do with the Golf, made the decision that at the end of lockdown it'll be sold. That'll save me a monthly car loan payment, insurance, tax, warranty etc,

Getting tempted to contact RAD to ask how much a side door delete would be :D
AcScotland
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by AcScotland »

That’s a lovely van and the golfs not too shabby either!
N3DXT
Caddy Fan

Post by N3DXT »

Ended up keeping the Golf for now and sold the Q5 instead :lol:

Not much to report on the Caddy for now, I've made a few changes but mostly small. The caddy is under warranty until September 2022 so I'm going to stockpile bits and then have a fitting binge when I'm closer to the end of the warranty.

Jobs that have been done are a shedload of soundeadening (doors and load area), load area floor partly plylined. Replaced the pedals with GTI items, Audison component speakers and active sub and the front seats have been replaced with MK7 Gti cloth seats.

Next job is to carpet the rear walls and tailgate & also trim the headlining in the load area with GTI cloth. I've also bought some 18" graphite grey pretoria alloys to replace the gloss black 18" pretorias. I've not put them on yet as the van is booked in to have the tracking looked at, the NSF tyre is wearing badly on the inner edge. Once that's sorted properly I'll run it for a month and then swap onto the new wheels and tyres.

I did try to get the steering wheel swapped for a DSG paddle equipped Golf 7 GTI one but HazzyDayz weren't able to code one up to work in my caddy as it has ACC and they've not dealt with ACC in a caddy before - I've put that on hold for now.

Next steps (nearer to when the warranty is out) will be coilovers on the front - currently it's running eibach springs with standard suspension struts on the front and an unknown flip kit on the rear.

Once I've swapped the wheels I'll stick up a new pic or two.
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote of his own post
gixxerjim
Caddy Fan

Post by gixxerjim »

Old Post now i know but my other van is a t6 which I bought new in 2016.
I have had dsg paddles put on that, professional retrofits (paul) did it and I now have a dsg caddy.

I often find my left finger in the caddy going to drop a gear (but haven't got paddles in it yet).

I did contact Paul before I bought it and it can be fitted.

Also the t6 had a remap for the dsg and the engine from darkside developments. Tbh its bang on in every gear so don't need the paddles really. Nice to have though.
Last edited by Doc on Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
N3DXT
Caddy Fan

Post by N3DXT »

Nice choice you have there with 2 DSG vans

I've not long put in an order for a T6.1 Sportline, been told I probably won't see it until November. I've not decided whether to keep the Caddy when the transporter turns up or not. I've already got the Golf, the Caddy and now also a MK5 R32. When I wasn't working over Christmas none of them got used so one will have to go when the T6 gets here.

It is tempting to sell the R32 though and keep the Caddy as I prefer the looks of that over the R32, thankfully I don't have to make a decsion for 9 months.

The Caddy now has Mk7 GTI front seats, I've put on a set of graphite 18 inch pretorias instead of the gloss black ones, I've trimmed headlining in the back in GTI cloth along with sticking sound deadening and stretch carpet on the sides. Its not the best quality job but its made a big difference

It's a great van and looks brilliant when I get round to washing it
N3DXT
Caddy Fan

Post by N3DXT »

Carried out a survey on the old Bletchley registry office the other day, the sun was actually shining and it's a handome looking building so thought I grab a few shots of my pretty dirty caddy, I had to survey the condition of the car park surface as well hence parking right in the middle of the car park.

Only difference I think since the earlier pictures are that it's currently wearing graphite grey 18 inch pretorias, the black gloss ones are in the garage and will go back on when I sell the van next winter (I've got a T6.1 Sportline Transporter coming when it eventually turns up). Will be sad to see this go for sure. :(