MK4 BlackBerry Maxi Life

Show off your caddy
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

MK4 BlackBerry Maxi Life

Post by SIMONSNOT »

This is my mk4 blackberry maxi life! When looking to change from my previous car I had a few cars in my mind but couldn’t get a caddy out of my head. I was looking for a mk3 really due to budget but the more (and more and more) you look a mk4 didn’t see that bad priced compared to some mk3s.

Any way, I picked this up last August from a VW main dealer. Kind of stumbled across it only looking at VW website one time previously. This was pretty much my wish list in terms of colour, engine, gearbox, heated screen, Euro 6 etc. but also being a maxi life. My previous car was a mk1 2002 octavia 1.8t 4x4 estate which I loved but I yearned for something newer with more mod cons but also wanted the load space with having two kids and camping etc.

I’ve done a couple of bits to the fun bus now so I thought I would get some pics up. So far:

VW rubber floor mats
De-badged rear
Team heko wind deflectors
Tinted front quarters - did them myself not great but for the time being they do just fine
New wheels - genuine 18” VW Golf Serron - freshly refurbed

Here she is pretty much as I get her apart from the wind deflectors:

New wheels:

Also got some dynamic wheels centres but I’m gutted as they the don’t fit the wheels, they are too small? Going to see if I can pack them out a bit with and O-ring or electrical tape

Tinted quarters and old wheels:

Tinted quarters and new wheels:

Chuffed with the new wheels, I think they look awesome! Also oem which is what I wanted.

Will be doing some further standard mods like splitter and side bars but this also needs lowering and I might do a remap at some point. Also have some scirocco R front calipers in the pipeline.

This will be a slow burn compared to a lot of you guys and no where near some of the efforts you all put in but as long as I get her to where I want to be, i’ll be happy.

Thanks Simon.
Last edited by SIMONSNOT on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
FishermansFriend
Hyper Poster

Re: MK4 BlackBerry Maxi Life

Post by FishermansFriend »

The wheel really suit, Caddy is looking great. You'd think they would make the dynamic hub caps in different sizes, mine just about clicked in, having said they they have never come off.
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+

Post by SIMONSNOT »

Cheers dude.

I’m really happy with how the wheels turned out. The centres are only a little bit to small, just looked on the internet at the newer style logo ones and they are also the same size. Annoyingly though, they fit my old wheels.
Ripley55
Hyper Poster

Post by Ripley55 »

Looking good @SIMONSNOT
Slow burn 🔥 is good as well, there’s a fair bit you can do that won’t break the bank. 🤪 Splitter sounds good 😆
It’s a matter of preference, but I could not get on with the side bars on my Maxi Life, and opted for side skirts instead
Do like a Blackberry though 👍
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+

Post by SIMONSNOT »

Cheers Ripley.

Yeah, there are a few smaller bits I’m going to do but life gets in the way and other things become a priority.

I’ve seen your side skirts and they do look well!

I love the colour and that was number one on my caddy list. It reminds me of one of my old Carrodo’s I had.

Your’s is also a nice colour and not that common either. It’s nice them being a bit different.
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+

Post by SIMONSNOT »

I was hoping to have some other bits done this week but other priorities have got in the way!

Anyway, I did get one minor thing done.

This is something I wanted to do to me old octavia estate but struggled finding the item I wanted. I was able to find one for the caddy though so thought I would give it a go.

I got a VW lanyard of eBay, chopped in half and had the Mrs get her sawing machine out.

It’s a little bit rough around the stitching but you can’t really see it in when in place and I might have a look to add some sort of black sheathing around the silver hanger. Otherwise I think it turned out pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Papa Bear »

Love that, might pinch that idea :D
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+

Post by SIMONSNOT »

Cheers pal, thought it was a easy enough mod and added a little something!
Deanh186
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Deanh186 »

I had the same issue with the self levelling caps - but struggle to find a decent set of wheels that will take them.
The dimensions are: Inside approx. 53 mm Outside approx. 65 mm.
Also, I'm not sure if centre caps are standardised which makes it harder - but does anyone have any ideas on searching for wheels based on centre cap dimensions?

Cheers,
Dean
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+

Post by SIMONSNOT »

Cheers Dean for the extra info.

I’ve currently got one of the alloys off as I got a puncture, which occurred very annoyingly, at the front of my drive due to my neighbour having some timber delivered and the delivery driver leaving behind a some banding with a metal clip. I didn’t see it, drove over it and got a ruddy puncture.

Anyway, whilst it’s off I’m going to have a look at seeing if I can actually pack this out snug enough for it not to fall out!
Innes Buchanan
Caddy Fan

Post by Innes Buchanan »

Great colour. Are you happy with the Heko wind deflectors ? I had my back windows tinted and did not think to have the quarters done at the same time - is it legal ?
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+

Post by SIMONSNOT »

Cheers, I think the colour is awesome.

I like the heko’s, had numerous sets on different cars. I don’t however use the clips as I’m not keen / sure on them. I’ve always used double sided sticky tape.

Not sure about the quarters however, you don’t look out of them to drive so I don’t see it being an issue. I know from experience with having front windows tinted and this not being allowed!
Deanh186
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Deanh186 »

@SIMONSNOT
Hi Simon - did you manage to get the caps to fit in end?
Last edited by Giddy on Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+

Post by SIMONSNOT »

Not got round to it yet. I was thinking of getting some ‘O’ rings on the back of them and seeing if I can make fit. To expensive to lose though.

I’m not sure what I’m doing with the caddy. I’ve been driving a 70 plate Passat around for a couple of weeks and, although it’s not much to look at, it drives really well (same engine and gearbox as mine) but it appears to be so much better on fuel!

It’s nice being back in a car, felt a bit squished in at first but got used to it pretty quick.

I’m half tempted to chop the caddy in and get a Passat r line or gte? Was also looking at golf r estate but I can’t see that being better in fuel!