wheelchair convert back

Show off your caddy
mattboh
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

wheelchair convert back

Post by mattboh »

Just finished converting my 2012 wheelchair converted caddy back to being a useful family wagon. Just posting these pics for anyone thinking of doing the same in the future (It was a real help seeing other people's ideas on here). Basically got a 28k miles DSG 2012 VW serviced caddy for a lot less than without a wheelchair conversion. The cambelt and water pump have been changed twice already (crazy for that mileage, but done on time interval i presume!).
Hinged boards resting on 2x1 batten with draught excluder to sit nice. Rear seat brackets are still in place if I ever wanted the last row of seats in.
Made up a bracket to reattach the bumper section from the tailgate to the mid section of the drop-down. Drop down is like having a pick-up back so can slide stuff in, or lids lift inside to chuck stuff in.
Also made a shelf for behind seats (going to put a lip on it to stop stuff falling back), useful for storage access from front seats. this is velcro'd on so can take it out if want to slide bikes in or whatever.
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Dom679
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: wheelchair convert back

Post by Dom679 »

Thanks for sharing this, did you put a standard rear bumper on afterwards? Or is that not possible after the structural changes of the wheelchair adaption?

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

SIMONSNOT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by SIMONSNOT »

I saw a blue one on eBay the other day which was a WAV but this had a normal bumper on.
kneecap
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by kneecap »

@mattbot. Nice ideas. I'm thinking of buying a 'life' that has been used as a WAV. I have converted a maxi but wanting a newer 'van' for kids and biking etc. Is there much of an issue with fuel tank size, spare wheel etc with the floor being cut? I would probably like to lower it a little too and don't have a clue if this would mean being marooned on speedbumps? I imagine it would be ok. Any ideas??

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

mattboh
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mattboh »

Dom679 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:25 pm Thanks for sharing this, did you put a standard rear bumper on afterwards? Or is that not possible after the structural changes of the wheelchair adaption?

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
Hi mate, I used the bumper section that had been cut out, which on the conversion i bought was bolted onto the tailgate. I just removed and reattached it to the wheelchair dropdown bit at the back (hope that makes sense?!)
mattboh
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mattboh »

kneecap wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:53 pm @mattbot. Nice ideas. I'm thinking of buying a 'life' that has been used as a WAV. I have converted a maxi but wanting a newer 'van' for kids and biking etc. Is there much of an issue with fuel tank size, spare wheel etc with the floor being cut? I would probably like to lower it a little too and don't have a clue if this would mean being marooned on speedbumps? I imagine it would be ok. Any ideas??

Thanks. It depends on the converter... mine was done by allied mobility, the mods are slightly smaller tank (by 5l) and exhaust rerouted out the side by the drivers side. I've got a mechanic who is happy welding anything into shape so i wasn't worried about that!
There is no spare wheel, so got that gunk stuff in case of flat tyre (this is what all wheelchair cars have), but you can use the space where the ramp is cut out to put a spare in. the space where the cut-out is has already been great for storage / muddy boots / pram etc. as its contained.
Basically I got an immaculate caddy like it was new, full vw service by motability lease, with low miles. If you get it straight from a dealer who buys from motability it will be well looked after as its only been a lease car. Well happy with mine
mattboh
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mattboh »

SIMONSNOT wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:43 am I saw a blue one on eBay the other day which was a WAV but this had a normal bumper on.
yeah the attachments are still there for a new bumper frame to slot in if you wanted to seal the back up
kneecap
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by kneecap »

@mattbot that's great. Thanks for the detail. I think I need to see a few ' in the flesh' to get an idea of the hassles involved with the back bumper. It seems to depend entirely on the ramp used. cheers

Dolphino2
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dolphino2 »

@mattboh - do you have any more pics of the back (with the boards lifted etc), and did you remove the winch too?

Just got a WAV caddy (which I believe was done by allied too). Ramp is being removed as we speak, but wanting to keep the lowered floor area as storage (thinking of creating a sort of drawer on pull out rails for underneath, whilst boarding over like you’ve done).

Also interested in the fact you’ve restored the bumper section back onto the drop down (mine is still fixed to the tailgate) as I want to do the same :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk