My caddy maxi build thread

Show off your caddy
Aronfields
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: My caddy maxi build thread

Post by Aronfields »

I dont think this van has ever seen a sponge only a yard brush to wash it, I could see it was bad beforehand but under the lights really showed how bad.

I'm no detailer but I have spent hours machine polishing cars and would be confident enough.

Washed then de tarred, I was at this stage considering wet sanding the paint work first but as we only had 1 sheet of 1200 and I couldn't be bothered driving to get more I thought ill try a few panels first to see how it comes up.

Using 3m fast cut extreme and 3m green pad, then a fine compound I found in the shed called p40 and a matching unknown brand soft black polishing head.

It's far far from perfect and I have considered a full respray but the results weren't the worst I would like to see it under daylight instead of led lights to see how bad it is tomorrow will tell
Aronfields
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Aronfields »

Some of the heavy scratches still visible but at the end of the day its a work van that will be driven daily so I think I'll be able to live with it for now but again time will tell
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

You’re flying with this mate! Well done on the paint correcting, that’s some serious paint damage you have fixed.

Who washes vehicles with a yard brush??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Ant346
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ant346 »

My 2010 caddy maxi taking shape

Aronfields
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Aronfields »

Under the led lights the heavier marks are still visible but I had to draw a line somewhere, no buff trails/holograms even tho the photo with the led lights look like there is but its the camera in life its like a mirror
Aronfields
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Aronfields »

Found a set of wheels of an a7 lien in the shed thought I'd throw them on temporary but after I did it looked like it was on stilts lol the offset is completely wrong lol the stick out at least 2 inches 😆😄

I think at this height there's the possibility of getting a nose bleed of my ears popping just getting in 🤣🤣

I've only got the drivers side final polished an emergency job came in and I had to go will get the rest finished tomorrow then onto the seats, clocks, mfsw and ccs install
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Looks well better mate. Top work!
What cutting compounds did you use?

EDIT: just seen your earlier post

Rescue me from the swans in me
Aronfields
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Aronfields »

@the swan fiend
Thanks used 3m fast cut extreme and then a finishing compound by a company called surface p40 its possibly the best compound I think I've ever used has a good cut and the more you break it down it cuts finer and finer really good stuff suppliers im not sure I don't have a clue where we got it.
Last edited by Giddy on Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of previous post
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

What a difference the cutting polishing is making!
Last edited by C Chis on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Innes Buchanan
Caddy Fan

Post by Innes Buchanan »

Good for you on taking this project on. Looks like a lot of work ahead of you. All the best for the project
Ripley55
Hyper Poster

Post by Ripley55 »

Loving the side shot @Aronfields 😂
Shame the ET doesn’t work as that looks Rad 😂 how about some big General Grabber tyres, and making it a Swamper ? 🤪🤪
That seems to be a bit on trend lately ? And I haven’t got a clue what the point of it is 🤣🤣
Van has cleaned up beautifully mate, good work 👍
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
Aronfields
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Aronfields »

Went to the shed today with the intentions of fitting the passat seats but I don't really like them lol so I cleaned the interior and fitted a rcd330.
I wasn't away that I needed an adaptor for the radio the block on the rear was different, I'm the most impatient person ever so I just wired it in with terminal connectors lol not the best of jobs but it's my own van and not a customers so it'll be OK for a day or 2 to I get a proper connector block must say I really like the radio I have a mk7 golf r and the interface is nearly identical to the golf's so I feel a bit more at home.

I'll look for new seats tomorrow if I'm not to busy going to have to get the module to make the mk7 mfsw work so haven't fitted it either but I might have access to parts from a mk6 gti golf so I'll see the seats and mfsw etc may come from that ill see this week anyways enough of me talking shite here's some photos
Aronfields
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Aronfields »

Ripley55 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:36 am Loving the side shot @Aronfields 😂
Shame the ET doesn’t work as that looks Rad 😂 how about some big General Grabber tyres, and making it a Swamper ? 🤪🤪
That seems to be a bit on trend lately ? And I haven’t got a clue what the point of it is 🤣🤣
Van has cleaned up beautifully mate, good work 👍
Lol the places I end up in I would need a swamper llf but not my thing really it drives horrible with them on, I will try a different set of 19s on it but if it drives the same I'll be trailing them back off I bought this because I wanted it to drive like a car
Aronfields
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Aronfields »

It doesn't sit flush this will put my head away so I'll have to modify something lol
R22LRM
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by R22LRM »

RS6 wheels look awesome

R22LRM
Mk5 Tfsi powered