Silver Mk4 Caddy Life

Show off your caddy
Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

Re: Silver Mk4 Caddy Life

Post by Marcmcq90 »

Got the wireless charger installed in the tray behind the gear stick.

Inspired by [mention]mark1a [/mention] I went for the ‘INBAY KIT 3’. Managed to pick one up on Amazon and I wired a little switch in series and picked up the 12v & 0v from the cigarette lighter port.

Managed to snap the fibre optic cable for the status LED installing it in the van but bodged it back together.

Also, a simple little mod but probably my favourite Image... I kept banging my head on the swingy handle on the tailgate when it was open so stuck a little magnet to the handle and a screw into the panel so it latches in the ‘up’ position when you close the tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ripley55
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Ripley55 »

That’s a little blinder on the Tailgate handle @Marcmcq90. Liking that 👍
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

Post by Marcmcq90 »

Finally got the internal bike rack sorted.

Remove the rear lashing points and bolt it down... works a treat.

I even had a lad from work 3D print me some end covers for the aluminium extrusion just to finish it off nicely.

RBJ2206
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by RBJ2206 »

Where did you get fork mounts from ?

Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

Silver Mk4 Caddy Life

Post by Marcmcq90 »

Got them off eBay from a user called mtb_vans

Highly recommend them... each one comes with 4 sets of interchangeable end caps to suit all fork standards.

Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

Post by Marcmcq90 »

So I’ve made a start on the ‘camping box’… turns out that my wife doesn’t like the idea of camping with a 1 year old all that much but we do all enjoy a picnic in the boot, hence the plan evolving a little bit…

So the idea now is a little bench seat either side of the boot, with a small table that will mount into the holes for the rear centre headrest.

I’m trying to make it modular so that if I ever do an overnight we with the MTB, I will be able to turn it into a single bed.

It will be mounted on two aluminium extrusion rails already fixed to the boot floor lashing points, making it all removable with 8x M6 bolts.

I spent a few hours in Sketchup trying to get a deign together and then I ordered some 20/20 aluminium extrusion cut to the correct lengths, got some hardware and had some 6mm ply cut to size (saves me a load of noise and dust!).

Makes it nice and lightweight and I think that it looks alright with a bit of ebony stain on it!

It’s not quite finished but here are some progress photos…

ImageImage

Need to get some tops cut out of 18mm ply next and then it shouldn’t be too far from done!

Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

Post by Marcmcq90 »

So finally got the stuff for the back finished…

Picnic wagon mk1! Folding table is mounted on a rail that fits into the headrest holes and there’s storage under a lift up lid on each bench.

8 bolts hold it all into the van so it’s pretty easy to put in and out.

Overall, I’m pretty chuffed with how it’s turned out. Decided to apply a ‘sticky back plastic’ to all the plywood just to give it a bit more of a finished look and a bit less ‘DIY’. I also filled and finished the edges with some beeswax to make them nice and smooth.

Next step is to make a little extension piece to convert it all into a single bed by sliding the benches together on the rails and then mounting the other half of the new bed to the edges of these and this would be supported by the double seat folded down.

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

That's a cracking job on the picnic setup. I love the use of the headrest holes for the table, very creative.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
FishermansFriend
Hyper Poster

Post by FishermansFriend »

Love the build out, great use of space.
Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

Post by Marcmcq90 »

Cheers guys.

I’d also like to make some drawers that pull out of the back but that might be next winters project I think…

TheGee
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by TheGee »

Nicely done! loving the way you've used the headrests and secured the forks 8)
Instagram @geedubcaddy

New build thread >>HERE<<
M13CYY
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by M13CYY »

Looks great! Loving all the vanstyle styling pieces. Also great job on the picnic area, very creative!
Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

Silver Mk4 Caddy Life

Post by Marcmcq90 »

Bit of an update… I was becoming a little bit tired of the vans impracticality. I seemed to have turned a very capable, versatile van into something that couldn’t carry any weight at all. I was growing tired rear wheels rubbing on the arch liners when carrying a tiny bit of weight and also the sidebars catching on anything larger than a 2 pence piece. (Should have seen and heard it with 10 boxes of tiles and 3 bags of tile adhesive in the back :o)

First up, I removed the side bars and this really helped to stop catching everything.

Then the front splitter decided to remove its self in the car park of ‘big Tesco’ on a kerb.

I was back and forth about what to do with the rear suspension but long story short, I pulled the trigger and bought a new set of leaf springs (from a panel van - thanks @giddy for the info) and also a new set of longer rear hangers from darkside.

Also, I thought I’d give the steels another go just to see how much difference 18’s made to the ride quality… safe to say, they never made it back on!

So here it is as it stands today… 15” steels and raised by an inch at the back. Back to being semi practical!

If I’m honest, I actually prefer the look of it a little higher, nice even arch gap right round the wheel.

Don’t worry, I’ve got a garage full of bits sat waiting to be bolted on. Going for a more OEM+ look this time around with some 17” Passat ‘London’ wheels and some other goodies.

Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

Post by Marcmcq90 »

Got the wheels with some fresh tyres back from the powdercoaters tonight. Looking forward to seeing them on the van… Hopefully get some time at the weekend to get them on!

Dav02
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Dav02 »

Making good progress. Tinted the windows transformed the van. Very nice.
We've all had issues with ride height and big wheels at some point.

Mine is lowered (not too low) and on 19's. It's a rough ride at times. Also lost my front splitter in a flooded section of road. It's never been replaced. Caught it on everything. Instead just a skid plate installed now.
2016 Caddy Highline. 2.0 TDi 102ps (ReMapped to 180)

Build Thread