Cutting out caddy

Show off your caddy
Daibws
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Cutting out caddy

Post by Daibws »

I bought a caddy as spares and repairs issue with fuelling would cut out after warmed up and would take a while to restart. So I assumed it was the in tank low pressure pump. I bought a new pump and changed it today. When I dropped the tank I noticed that the fuel lines seemed the wrong way round compared to my seat Leon 2.0 tdi so swapped the pipes and refitted tank caddy started straight away and seemed to run well I’m yet to take it for a long drive to test, my question is would the van run if they were the wrong way round? And would that be the cause of it cutting out then taking ages to restart? Also when I removed the inline pump there were black carbon deposits on it should I be worried? Any advise would be appreciated thanks :D .
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Cutting out caddy

Post by Doc »

Be very careful if your now swapped the fuel lines over, you may have your engine running of fuel which is now supplied through a filter which is the wrong way round.

If the fuel filter was indeed running out of fuel as the engine warmed up, there is more than likely a problem with either the pump or the electrical supply to the pump.
Have you checked the fuel pump relay resistance or the voltage supply at the pump while running?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Daibws
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Daibws »

Thanks for reply and advise :D I followed the fuel line and the supply from pump was definitely running through the fuel cooler which is on the return side of the fuel system so I’m pretty sure they were connected the wrong way. Constant noise from fuel pump just think it was working harder to pump through fuel cooler on underside so when under heavy acceleration wasn’t coping with demand so getting an airlock / vacuum created in fuel filter. I thought relay could be an issue so have wired in a direct live to pump thus bypassing that to check still suffered from same issue. Voltage was consistently good to pump before hand when checking with voltmeter. Swapped out relay for a known good one from another caddy with same issues, symptoms when cuts out is as if ran out of diesel would eventually start once had primed by trying to start. I think the fact it was wrong way around previously not filtered warm fuel going back into tank hence the black carbon deposits on fuel pump was an issue. doing some research online and post off this sight had been seen before. Easily done if doing on the floor by yourself and didn’t notice different colours.
Daibws
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Daibws »

Update on cutting out caddy after putting a few miles on it hasn’t cut out once so hopefully can put that problem to bed. Didn’t think having fuel pipes wrong way round would cause such a problem.