Caddy Addicts Build Thread

Show off your caddy
Caddy_Addict
Caddy2k Groupie

Caddy Addicts Build Thread

Post by Caddy_Addict »

Hi all,

After securing a start up loan for my new valeting & detailing business I found a van that I figured would be a decent starting place. Its a 2013 Startline with air con & (aftermarket) parking sensors. 65k on the clock.

IMG_20210520_192513_390.jpg

The parking sensors seem to have a mind of their own. Been used to the OEM that come with the cars I've had, this may take a while to get used to the random sounds it makes.

First up was to plug in OBDeleven and run a scan. Cleared a couple of codes, but the number plate light still remained. On removal, one of them didn't even have the metal clasp in it, the bulb was just lying on the plastic lens (it somehow passed its MOT the day before with no faults??)
IMG_20210525_111938_copy_2736x2052.jpg
NSF door handle pretty much came off in my hand, so that will need looking at too.

I'll try to keep this updated with any changes I make or fixes I make.
Last edited by Caddy_Addict on Fri May 28, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy_Addict
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Caddy Addicts Build Thread

Post by Caddy_Addict »

The car was 'valeted' before collection. I'd normally ask them not to touch it, but I figured it was gonna get a full machine polish over the next few weeks so let then get on with it. There was some sort of solvent type smell in the cabin so had to tackle the interior first. Took my interior bag with me to give the steering wheel, hand brake, gear knob, indicator & wiper stalks a good clean before driving it home. The rest was covered in a film of silicone spray so that was tackled when I got home.

Don't think it'd had a decent clean in its life

IMG_20210522_162718.jpg

After the wash I got some basic protection on it just before the rain came. That night I went out with the inspection light and had a look at the condition of the paint. Shocking to say the least.

IMG_20210522_223243.jpg

I checked paint thickness (in the morning) at various points and its definitely had some work done. Most readings were 110-130 microns, so a decent amount to give it a 2 stage polish if necessary.
Last edited by Caddy_Addict on Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy_Addict
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy_Addict »

Question (which I've searched ALL fekkin day for)...

The drivers door card was loose at the bottom when collecting and it looks like the clip that gets screwed into has come away from the door itself. I've looked and found images for what I think it is, but no descriptions apart from a VVO clip? But some of them look too big. It's white, with a black collar, and kinda squared off looking? Driving me mad that I can't find it. Found umpteen other clips that I don't need, anyone know?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

N 105 168 01 is the part you need, it's an expanding nut.
They are about £0.40 from VW.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Caddy_Addict
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy_Addict »

Awesome, thanks Doc 👌🏼
Caddy_Addict
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy_Addict »

Took out the ply lining floor and wheel arch covers to give it a bit of a clean. What a fekkin state it was.
IMG_20210523_143710_copy_2052x2736.jpg
IMG_20210523_143725_copy_2052x2736.jpg
IMG_20210523_150437_copy_2052x2736.jpg

Didnt get a final shot after wiping down with some APC but you get the idea
Cousin it
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Cousin it »

It is surprising what can get under the ply floor, when I removed mine I found what appeared and smelt like creosote covering the floor, it took several cleans with a 70/30 ipa to water mix to get the floor clean, fortunately it also removed a lingering smell the van had.
Caddy_Addict
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy_Addict »

I get that they are work vans, and that it has a well used life before the exterior was updated to how it is now. I know now that it is clean under there and my OCD is fine with that. Still needs a bit of work before it's kitted out for valeting.

Changed the battered number plate lights for new lenses. These came with LED lights in them

IMG_20210525_162646.jpg

Which are pretty damn bright 😂

IMG_20210525_214500.jpg

New Philips Racing Vision H4's in the front with some LED sidelight bulbs and all the yellow is gone (on the outside)

IMG_20210525_111320.jpg
Caddy_Addict
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy_Addict »

So figured I'd start looking at the NSF door handle. Having replaced the door handle lights in our A7 I assumed the removal was similar. Taking out the blank plate at the rear of the handle I must have unscrewed the bolt too much as something dropped into the bottom of the door. Looking into the door handle he I could see another bracket dangling and while trying to retrieve it, that dropped into the same place 😩

IMG_20210619_181327_copy_2052x2736.jpg

I managed to fish them out using a radiator roller handle after removing the door card and unbolting the metal inner skin, but this would not come away easily and I couldn't see if it was still attached to something. I'm guessing I'll have to disassemble the whole thing to get the access I need to re-fit these parts?

Then it started raining so everything had to be packed up.

Honestly wish I'd not started it now
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

Hi caddy addict, nice work on your van mate.
I recently bought my second caddy a 2012 toffee brown highline model.
Your right those rear parking sensors that were fitted are not the best. I see they are made by meta easy park. Pretty basic considering what vw wanted for to charge for them.
I'm going down the vw oem optical parking aid kit that I can connect into my rns315 unit. With all the painting and modules wiring harness etc came to about £250.
Company is in Europe.
I bought the mtec halogen drl bulbs for my van and although they are slightly whiter than the dull yellow ones I would like the abit more brighter.
What led ones did you go for?
Do you get a bulb error warning?
The h4 bulbs I was debating over the Phillips ones you have or the osram night breaker ones.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Caddy_Addict
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy_Addict »

Hey mate,

I bought the van pretty much how it looks now, but it has unfortunately got its fair share of issues. Had to get the air con leak tested and re gassed as that didn't work and always seems to come on in recirculating mode.. and this passenger door handle is pretty annoying.

I had some night breakers in my A3 and although better than the OEM, they were not really white enough. These racing vision ones appear to be much better, although I have not used at night yet. The sidelights are Osram P21/5w LED's. I do get error messages for the sidelights and rear number plate so I'll try and clear them again with OBDeleven.

Interesting info you mentioned about the parking sensors, might look to change them if possible but I don't think I have the head unit to connect to. I have a mechanic mate who has a Golf R who has recently had someone change his 4" screen to and 8" touch control, so would be interesting to see what can be done for the basic set up in mine

I would like a (FB) MFSW rather than have the controls on the wiper stalk, they are just awkward to use.

Water tank should be here tomorrow so will get that fitted in the back and carry on with the fit out to carry all the cleaning gear.

If you get your parking sensors done I'd be interested to know the info on those 👍🏼
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

Thanks for your reply mate.
I'll let you know about the sensors. Never done anything like this before so will be abot of a learning curve for sure.
I fitted some led number plate led lights on the rear of my van and if you have obdeleven you can go to

Central electrics
Scroll through to you see led license plate bulbs bit and tick this box. Press the green tick button and that sorts that out for you.

I upgraded the interior light with one that as the microphone housing and also replaced the halogen bulbs with led ones. So far so good. No error messages and the vans canbus dims them perfectly when opening and closing the doors. Will get the genuine vw led transporter one for the rear loading area.

Got a sharks fin dab gps aerial next to fit and wired up to get rid of the awful antenna one fitted.

I remember when I had my 2008 caddy I decided to remove the handles to re paint them black as they were really badly faded. It was one of those jobs o wished I never tackled. They never really worked properly again even following elswain instructions.
I too dropped a spring off of the locks and had to get another one from the breakers yard. Again the handles never really had that snap back to them like they did before I got my hands on them.
Should have just bought the vanstyle covers that I ended up doing after all, and saved my self the grief

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Jordyx
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Jordyx »

Did you purchase this from vogue in Mansfield Nottinghamshire mate? The ad picture looks very familiar, lovely motor!
Caddy_Addict
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy_Addict »

DW2207 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:37 am
I fitted some led number plate led lights on the rear of my van and if you have obdeleven you can go to

Central electrics
Scroll through to you see led license plate bulbs bit and tick this box. Press the green tick button and that sorts that out for you.
Thanks, this is a great tip. Still have the LED's in the sidelights causing an error message, couldn't find anything for them.
Caddy_Addict
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy_Addict »

Jordyx wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:02 pm Did you purchase this from vogue in Mansfield Nottinghamshire mate? The ad picture looks very familiar, lovely motor!
Yes mate, it's a decent van, just has some issues I wasn't expecting. To be honest you could buy the spec van you want and do the changes like most people do, probably for less, but I just needed something for work that I didn't have to faff around with. Got my water tank delivered yesterday, but they delivered the wrong one, so had to cancel and re-order from elsewhere so that's another two weeks at least!! Very frustrating :mad: