Ray's work van project: build thread

Show off your caddy
Rayner
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Rayner »

Hi guys and girls! Decided to make a build thread here to show off the progress on the van.

So I've bought my first ever Diesel van! It's a 2005 SDI with 360k-ish km's on the clock and is in dire need of some TLC. Main reason I got it was it's a Euro4 which allows me to go in all the emission zones and it was cheap.

So the pictures!

As you can see it took a nasty hit and has been repaired with drywall screws :roll: The old fender also hit the windshield which caused it to crack. The van is absolute filthy. Scrubbed most of the floor and panels but I really have to remove the seats and the floor to get all the dirt out.

New shift knob is on the way and I'm still debating on what kind of radio I should put in. Still debating what to do with the seats and steering wheel too.
Rayner
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Ray's work van project: build thread

Post by Rayner »

o after a two weeks of ownership the starter crapped out. Seller told me he had replaced it with a wrong one anyway: one from a mk4 sdi Golf... So a few days later I had a fresh second hand one with a year warranty and The van could go again!

Rayner
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Rayner »

After replacing the starter the van left me stranded 300km's from home when picking up a new front and rear bumper... My first thought was an Immobilizer issue. Didn't knew if it originally came with the flip key so I started looking around and found the old Tracker box. Ripped it out and still didn't start... At least I found out what that mystery button was :lol: After doing some research on the web I found out the injector seals tend to go bad on the SDI's so I've put that on my to-do list!

Rayner
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Rayner »

Finally had a chance to look under the van and see the state of all the bushings, the sills and check if there are parts that need replacing.

Everything sway bar related is shot :lol:
Gearbox mount is weak
Control arm bushings look weak and old
All ball joint boots were perished but they still felt good.

Surprised at how cheap everything was I didn't hesitate to order all at once and have a day on the lift wrenching away!

Bear in mind that this van had a really rough life. But it has been in a few good hands as the gearbox, exhaust and brakes were all fairly new. Being a cheap van I'm still way under what I would've paid for a nice one.
Rayner
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Rayner »

Managed to get a complete front end for a stupidly low price. Sold off the parts I didn't ended up using which made me some money in the end too! Sometime the universe smiles upon you :lol:

Rayner
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Rayner »

My neighbors gifted me a set of wheels they had lying around in their backyard for a few years. Tires are from 2015 but they aren't rotted and they cleaned up well. Going up to 16inch witch 205 tires transformed the handling of the van drastically! Ordered some center caps from Ali Express can't wait to see how they look.

Rayner
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Rayner »

For some reason the price of VAG steering wheels have skyrocketed so I had some trouble finding a nice one for the right price. I lucked out again and found one from a Polo to lift the interior up quite a bit as the old one felt like it could give me an std :lol:

Also check out the new radioframe, radio and shift knob :P
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

It’s looking a lot better now. The steering wheel and the alloys really freshen it up. What’s your future plans for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Ro-Touran
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Ro-Touran »

Je bent aan een mooi project begonnen!

Possibilities are endless when you buy a caddy

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AC2003 met Tapatalk

Touran 1T3 2.0 TDI
TexasTim77